Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

L T

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2013
UK
I have my Mac mini and iPad mini sitting around and I am wanting to sell them. I really don't want to use eBay but that seems like it will be the best place.

I just wanted advice from people that regularly sell on eBay on the do's/don't's and what I should look out for.

I have a Mac mini with Wireless Keyboard and trackpad to go with it. I was also thinking about bundling in a 23inch HP monitor with it to sell as a complete set.

How much could I get for the lot?

Also, how much could my iPad mini 32GB wifi fetch me?

Thanks

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
eBay is a good choice if you don't want to deal locally since it reaches far more people.

For the Mac Mini bundle, I think you could get more by selling each item individually. Most buyers don't want the "extra" stuff if it means paying more.

To see what items are currently selling for, search eBay for the item and filter the search results to show "completed listings".

Some tips - Don't overcharge on shipping, that will turn away a lot of potential buyers. If shipping internationally always buy insurance/delivery confirmation. Do not deal with any buyers outside of eBay/paypal.

Also, what are you trying to accomplish with these sales? Are you trying to just get rid of the items and take whatever you can get? Or do you want to sell them for at least a minimum. You can list your items with a reserve price, but you have to pay a fee even if you no one bids or meets the reserve.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
I have my Mac mini and iPad mini sitting around and I am wanting to sell them. I really don't want to use eBay but that seems like it will be the best place.

I just wanted advice from people that regularly sell on eBay on the do's/don't's and what I should look out for.

I have a Mac mini with Wireless Keyboard and trackpad to go with it. I was also thinking about bundling in a 23inch HP monitor with it to sell as a complete set.

Thanks

I also suggest you sell each item individually. Best to look at completed sales on ebay UK (I assume that's where you are) to get an idea of recent values.

There are two options with approaches to selling : 1. Start at £1 and see where you end up or 2. Start at a minimum price.

Option 1 will attract more bids but option 2 gives you some control over a minimum return. IMO don't use reserved prices or buy it now (will cost you extra). Currently on ebay there's no charge for listing if you don't specify any of their options, so if it doesn't sell then it hasn't cost you anything.

Make sure you get your postage costs worked out before you sell and get sellers to pay for that. In the UK sellers still expect to pay, so use a postal service that is guaranteed but don't expect to make any money on postage. Make sure you weigh the item in the box that you will use for sending (and that the box is strong enough).

I advise you to limit your selling to UK and Ireland (otherwise postage costs will be too much for sellers). It's also pretty much impossible to get any guarantee of delivery or insurance against loss etc outside of the originating country (in my experience).

Can't help wrt current values.

Last edited:

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Sell everything individually.

Make sure to send it with Delivery Confirmation to avoid scams.

Only accept a Paypal verified address payment.

Expect to pay Ebay 10% and Paypal 2.9%.

Being electronics, I would make sure not to accept returns.

Check buyers feedback for anything unusual or bad.

And read other advice given.

jephersun

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2008
Daly City, CA

Ditto on all that. I usually get Signature Confirmation instead of Delivery Confirmation. I only accept Paypal and only send to Confirmed Addresses. In addition, I also limit my items to people within the US, as it just makes me feel more secure about making the transaction.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Be 100% honest about condition etc. Otherwise you can end up with complaints. eBay/Paypal always side with the buyer in any dispute. If it has a scratch or flaw, take pictures and let people know. Good luck.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area

The returns thing is now moot because eBay will force you to accept the return if the buyer files any kind of complaint.

themumu

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
Sunnyvale
I would try a local classifieds ad first. eBay and Paypal fees will eat about 15% of your sale price, so if you can sell it locally for even 20% less that what you estimate eBay sale to go for, I think you'd still be ahead. Do not have to deal with fussy remote buyers, shipping, potential fraud and not have to give a cut to eBay&Co. Unless you're in a small rural area and don't have craigslist or some other local classifieds site, give it a shot.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Advice: Look up the shipping address before sending, to make sure it's an actual home or business. Do not ship to a mailing company, UPS store, FedEx store, etc. Many of these types of stores will accept and hold shipments for people, but it's essentially a private P.O. Box and therefore is not traceable. If this situation comes up, cancel the purchase and refund the money.

I also require valid paypal address in the US or Canada, and set all the buyer restrictions to most restrictive.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
The returns thing is now moot because eBay will force you to accept the return if the buyer files any kind of complaint.

Nothing against you, but I am not sure where everyone gets this perception that Ebay will force you to accept a return. Yes I have read the stories.

I have been selling on Ebay since 2000 and have been in that situation. But with proper documentation and photos, Ebay will side with a seller. Was not electronics but none the less.

As a seller you are allowed to argue your point. I have seen a lot of people just give in and Ebay make the wrong decision, but with a valid argument plus proper documentation, Ebay will side with the seller.

It has happened to me only once but I had valid points which Ebay could not deny, so I won the battle. The buyer tried to claim it was not as described, but lost after being proved that it was 100% and then some as I had claimed. I had the paper work and photos.

As I stated already, Ebay does not always make the right decisions. Just make sure as a seller you are honest, which will give you a chance of winning.

RickyB

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
When you see "Print Postage", don't assume that the buyer has paid. That's a mistake I just made - luckily he paid eventually, but only a couple of days after he received the Powerbook I sold him!

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
As I stated already, Ebay does not always make the right decisions. Just make sure as a seller you are honest, which will give you a chance of winning.

Oh...............
Sellers should be honest.............
Got it now.
:rolleyes:

You've heard the stories because they're true.
eBay will almost always side with the buyer on electronics complaints because it's the buyer who can cost them the money.
I didn't say not to use eBay or that they were crooked.
I just said the saying no returns is absolutely meaningless because it is.
It's eBay that dictates the terms and not the seller.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Oh...............
Sellers should be honest.............
Got it now.
:rolleyes:

You've heard the stories because they're true.
eBay will almost always side with the buyer on electronics complaints because it's the buyer who can cost them the money.
I didn't say not to use eBay or that they were crooked.
I just said the saying no returns is absolutely meaningless because it is.
It's eBay that dictates the terms and not the seller.

Sarcasm was not required. I have nothing against you. Do not know you?

Never said stories were not true. Never said Ebay does not side with buyers or is crooked. Said they do side with sellers as well.

Ebay does dictate terms, but if they give you the option of opting for No Returns, then they themselves have to abide by them and give the seller a chance of arguing their side.

I hear the stories and have never said they are not true. But the buyer does not always win was my argument. People need to hear the good side of things as well.

And there are many dishonest sellers out there who would be more than happy to screw people over with less than honest description. Giving an honest description, gives you a valid argument.

I meant nothing personal against you in my post. Just wanted other side of coin heard.

SilverOath

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2013

Thanks

I would *HIGHLY* recommend against selling high value electronics on eBay. It's stacked against sellers -- and just like normal thieves... electronic thieves focus their efforts on high value highly portable items.

I'd highly suggest just using CL, or at worst case scenario one of those buy back options.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
I would *HIGHLY* recommend against selling high value electronics on eBay. It's stacked against sellers -- and just like normal thieves... electronic thieves focus their efforts on high value highly portable items.

I'd highly suggest just using CL, or at worst case scenario one of those buy back options.

He's in the UK. CL doesn't exist.

Christina C.

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2014
Hey, you should screen your buyers before you ship. I always to this on eBuyersReviewed.

You can also check other prices to compere yours.

I definitely think that you should be honest with your buyers!

Good luck! :cool:

Blackstick

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2014
OH
I used to sell a lot on eBay, but these days a lot of deadbeat/scam bidders and buyers run amok, and as long as they sometimes pay, eBay doesn't ban them.

In the last year, 2014, I had 3 auctions get screwed up by deadbeat buyers. Compare that to December 1999-December 2013 where I had none. Also, eBay takes a 10% cut, and PayPal 3%, plus a lot of buyers expect free (or loss-leader priced) shipping. Lately, I've just been selling back to Gazelle.com or turning it into Amazon for credit... it's just so much easier.

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2002
New England
i've been an eBay seller for a long time. in the past 2 years i've been amazed at how much quicker i sell a product on amazon instead. Amazon has really taken it to eBay lately. when people search google for a product they almost always see the amazon product page first. when they click on it they see your listing quickly. they usually see it much quicker than if they search through all the listings on eBay

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
Craigslist is the best. Tho you need to be in a big city and even then people expect you to meet them half way.

Ebay and Amazon are instant sales but they take a big chunk of your profits. 10-18%

Thing I dislike about Amazon is they give you insanely unrealistic shipping cost. Ebay actually charges you for a fee on your shipping cost.

What I do is check the item you want to sell see how people who sold it/have bids presented it and how much it ended for.

I posted a Bose Soundlink mini here and on Craigslist and got no interest. For some reason Amazon wouldn't let me sell this item used.

Saw it going to 140-160 + 10-15 bucks shipping. Posted it at 150 with free shipping and a 1 day auction. Sold for $160. They took over 20 bucks.

It really is my last choice in selling tho.

inboxer

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2013
Try selling your unwanted mac gear to buybackworld, gazelle, or nextworth. I've used gazelle and buybackworld a few times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.