Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pushforwards

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2015
Just thought I would chime in on this thread to confirm that the Genius Bar replacement for my iPhone 6+ was approved for an unlock request via AT&T's online request form at https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/

Thanks for the heads up terraphantm, I had no idea replacement phones were eligible!

Any chance at an explanation of how to do this in detail? Do I go into an ATT store and tell them something wrong with my phone? Or go to the Apple Genius Bar and ask for a replacement, what about when they ask whats wrong with it? Or do I contact them or what? Will I have to surrender my phone and wait for replacement without a phone in the mean-time?

Does it cost anything?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Any chance at an explanation of how to do this in detail? Do I go into an ATT store and tell them something wrong with my phone? Or go to the Apple Genius Bar and ask for a replacement, what about when they ask whats wrong with it? Or do I contact them or what? Will I have to surrender my phone and wait for replacement without a phone in the mean-time?

Does it cost anything?

Your phone must still have warranty and you have to make an Apple Genius appointment. There has to be warrantable hardware defect with the device. They will take the defective device and give you a new one. You can't just ask for a replacement. There must be a problem. If a problem is found, Apple will replace it on site.

pushforwards

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2015
Your phone must still have warranty and you have to make an Apple Genius appointment. There has to be warrantable hardware defect with the device. They will take the defective device and give you a new one. You can't just ask for a replacement. There must be a problem. If a problem is found, Apple will replace it on site.

Which is why I was asking - for those of us that do not have a hardware issue, we are sort of **** out of luck :D

ceywat32

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2015
Do iOS updates affect unlocked status?

Before investing $ unlocking my iPhone I am wondering if iOS updates could or would cause my iPhone to return to the locked state. I have read that restoring an unlocked iPhone to factory state would undo the unlocking performed by third party. I wonder why. If an iPhone is 'unlocked' it is supposedly listed in 'Apple white pages' as 'unlocked'. I understand updating and restoring are different, just concerned about updating an iPhone that has been 'unlocked' by some entity other than the carrier purchased from.

Allthings-I

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2014
Before investing $ unlocking my iPhone I am wondering if iOS updates could or would cause my iPhone to return to the locked state. I have read that restoring an unlocked iPhone to factory state would undo the unlocking performed by third party. I wonder why. If an iPhone is 'unlocked' it is supposedly listed in 'Apple white pages' as 'unlocked'. I understand updating and restoring are different, just concerned about updating an iPhone that has been 'unlocked' by some entity other than the carrier purchased from.

No, you can restore, update all and when needed. It will not affect your lock status in anyway.

your phone once unlocked will be permanently unlocked.

biosci

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Chicagoland, IL
No, you can restore, update all and when needed. It will not affect your lock status in anyway.

your phone once unlocked will be permanently unlocked.

And if the phone ever had to be taken in and replaced by apple too, they should see in their computer that your phone was unlocked and also provide you with an unlocked phone. As opposed to a, for example, iPhone 6 for ATT only. At least that's what I heard.

Allthings-I

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2014
And if the phone ever had to be taken in and replaced by apple too, they should see in their computer that your phone was unlocked and also provide you with an unlocked phone. As opposed to a, for example, iPhone 6 for ATT only. At least that's what I heard.

Yes when they replace it the Unlock is transferred automatically. You can check out Samunlocks, thats where I've gotten almost all my devices unlocked.

DEG1

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2013
N. Chicago Burbs
placed an order on swifunlocks on jan 11.still waiting
AT&T under contract for iphone 6

Just did the same thing with them two weeks ago, under seemingly similar circumstances. They quoted 3 business days and delivered on the 3d day. Their website did say that they sometimes take longer due to changing demand. Any rate, they got my IP6 unlocked as they promised, I got the "unlocked" message when I restored (seems this isn't necessary but I wanted to see it) and I tried the phone with a China Unicom SIM and it worked fine. I'm sure they'll take care of you.

biosci

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Chicagoland, IL
I too just recently used swiftunlocks for my iPhone 6 Plus. I think it may have taken an extra day but then I finally got the confirmation email. I was actually worried because my phone couldn't be unlocked by another company. But my ATT iPhone then worked when I put in my work verizon SIM card. Happy customer here.

Allthings-I

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2014
placed an order on swifunlocks on jan 11.still waiting
AT&T under contract for iphone 6

There are some delays, the real time frame is 1-7 Days for the premium / Premium Fast.

I always recommend my top 3:
- Samunlocks
- Swiftunlocks
- Chronicunlocks

Last edited:

ifanme

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2014
macforums
My wife has a launch day 6+ from AT&T that is on Next - we have paid I think 4 installments. I submitted a request to unlock the phone at http://www.att.com/deviceunlock as she is travelling to Singapore on business, and the phone was unlocked by AT&T within 48 hours, no questions asked.

Always first ask the carrier itself and submit unlock request and most of the time they accept if you are illegible. That's the best option indeed!

mruser2015

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2015
I placed my premium unlock order for ATT iPhone6 (under contract) with Swiftunlocks on Jan12 and it was unlcked on Jan 20th.

-MrUser2015

There are some delays, the real time frame is 1-7 Days for the premium / Premium Fast.

I always recommend my top 3:
- Samunlocks
- Swiftunlocks
- Chronicunlocks

iVegas

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2013
All iPhone 6's in my household (all subsidized and under contract) were unlocked by At&t this week. Not sure why they granted it but I'm not complaining. Give it a try before you pay for an unlock.

ironhide

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2015
iphone 6 chronicunlocks

I just paid Chronicunlocks for an AT&T iPhone 6 unlock.. fingers crossed!

Axeaum

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2015
Iphone 6 unlock process

Have ordered iPhone6 unlock service from iphoneunlockguy, it has been 4 days already and didn't hear anything back yet. Sent many mails but no reply. As I have to travel now and used the phone in different country, is anyone know how unlock process work?
Being optimistic, if they unlock it. Does phone have to be in network while phone are getting unlock?

Please let me know if any one know the answer.

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
Have ordered iPhone6 unlock service from iphoneunlockguy, it has been 4 days already and didn't hear anything back yet. Sent many mails but no reply. As I have to travel now and used the phone in different country, is anyone know how unlock process work?
Being optimistic, if they unlock it. Does phone have to be in network while phone are getting unlock?

Please let me know if any one know the answer.

no it doesnt have to be in network while the phone is unlocked. you can just put any sim in it. and if its unlocked the network will show up.

DiEg0

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2015
Yeah I want to know too. Did Chronicunlocks unlocked your iPhone 6? I ordered mine at unlockallcellular.com and nothing yet. To be fair its only been 4 days.

ifanme

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2014
macforums
Yeah I want to know too. Did Chronicunlocks unlocked your iPhone 6? I ordered mine at unlockallcellular.com and nothing yet. To be fair its only been 4 days.

Didn't you go with, theofficialunlocks.com???
Well, i placed last week At&t premium order which get completed today and the device is successfully unlocked.
The best part of their services is customer support which is always there. It doesn't matter how many question you ask, as you will get answers of all your questions on daily basis.

DiEg0

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2015
I did try to order at theofficialunlocks.com last Monday. For some reasons, the payment from PayPal failed twice. theofficialunlocks.com even emailed me saying, they can see order has been created but payment didn't come through and if I need some help. By the time I received email from them, I already created order at unlockallcellular.com.

I have used unlockallcellular.com couple of times since 2011. They are more expensive than any other provider out there but they get the job done. They reply my email everyday. As usual, iPhone 6 and 6+ unlock can take quite some time, up to 7 days in this case. So I can't do anything but just wait.

I will keep you guys posted about my experience here, there are so many scams out there.

So far Samunlocks is friendly and responsive. It is unfortunate they can't unlock my phone at the moment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.