Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
I work outside looking for a dust proof iPhone 6 case that covers all ports. Would also like something that's water resistant not waterproof for when I get a call or text I can use not in heavy rain. Would prefer something with an Apple logo cutout and not too bulky as I would want to rock it on the weekends when I'm not working. I realize a dust proof/water resitant case can be a bit bulky and not as attractive as a non protective case but want something that can also be worn that looks nice when I'm not working. Preferably something with a belt clip.

Any suggestions?

dennisjr631

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2009
I have the patriot for my iPhone 6 plus. I love it. It's a little bulky but it's so worth it. Give it a try. Best buy has them.

Tybee

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2008
Decatur, Ga.
No love for Lifeproof? My wife and I had them on our 4S (after using Otterbox Defenders before that) and were very happy with them. They got a workout with our twin toddlers and my wife's propensity to drop her phone all the time. Now we have the 6 and have been using placeholder sheath cases and prayer while we waited for the Lifeproof, but I've been seeing some ominous reviews. Most of the complaints seem to pertain to the size of the port openings (in that they only really fit the native Apple cable), which doesn't bother me because I know how to use the Internet and can get OEM Apple cables for cheap. Also, I mostly use Bluetooth now (headphones at work and in the car), so headphone adapter -- which did bother me with the 4S at first -- also no longer an issue.

What does concern me is reports of water intrusion and general case failure. I'm not submerging or dropping my phone with any regularity, but I'd like to know that this new generation of Lifeproofs is at least as reliable as our 4S cases were. Can anyone relate their impressions of the 6 Lifeproof?

Time is of the issue as we're heading to Disney World next week, with rain in the forecast and plenty of opportunities for drops, etc., need a good case before we leave...

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
I have the patriot for my iPhone 6 plus. I love it. It's a little bulky but it's so worth it. Give it a try. Best buy has them.

Just got the Patriot and for a rugged case it's nice looking. Something you can rock on the weekends.

But there's way too much space between the Patriot screen and the iPhone. So much that you can hear a clicking sound when you type and also the screen isn't responsive because of the space.

Last edited:

Leggee

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2014
Japan
No love for Lifeproof? My wife and I had them on our 4S (after using Otterbox Defenders before that) and were very happy with them. They got a workout with our twin toddlers and my wife's propensity to drop her phone all the time. Now we have the 6 and have been using placeholder sheath cases and prayer while we waited for the Lifeproof, but I've been seeing some ominous reviews. Most of the complaints seem to pertain to the size of the port openings (in that they only really fit the native Apple cable), which doesn't bother me because I know how to use the Internet and can get OEM Apple cables for cheap. Also, I mostly use Bluetooth now (headphones at work and in the car), so headphone adapter -- which did bother me with the 4S at first -- also no longer an issue.

What does concern me is reports of water intrusion and general case failure. I'm not submerging or dropping my phone with any regularity, but I'd like to know that this new generation of Lifeproofs is at least as reliable as our 4S cases were. Can anyone relate their impressions of the 6 Lifeproof?

Time is of the issue as we're heading to Disney World next week, with rain in the forecast and plenty of opportunities for drops, etc., need a good case before we leave...

I've had my Lifeproof for the six for a few months now and zero problems. Much better fitting screen protector compared to the five. No signs of water leakage and mine is in the shower with me everyday. Touch ID works fine too. Easily as good if not better than the 4 case and a lot better fitting than the 5 case.

dennisjr631

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2009
To macher you might wanna swap out your patriot case. My screen is awesome and flush. I don't hear anything when I'm typing. The screen is as responsive as my iPhone without the case.

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
The Lifeproof cases are great, there are 2 options to choose from: the Fre or the Nuud. The Fre has a screen protector, but the Nuud doesn't, but it maintains waterproofness.

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
To macher you might wanna swap out your patriot case. My screen is awesome and flush. I don't hear anything when I'm typing. The screen is as responsive as my iPhone without the case.

I'm glad to hear that your Tech21 Patriot case works so well. Do you have the Patriot for the iPhone 6 or 6 Plus? Just curious if there is possibly a difference in the case fit between the 2 phone sizes...

Kristin

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012

Ok I might try a swap. Called Tech21 and they agreed with my that there is a space between the screen protector and iPhone screen. They suggested I use it for a while to see if I'll get use it. But I'll go back to BB and try another one while I'm there.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Picked up the Pelican Pro Gear Voyager from AT&T. I get 50% accessory discount. I first asked about a case that would look good to rock on the weekends. The Pelican isn't an attractive case to rock on the weekends but it seems like a pretty decent dust proof and water resistant case. Also it's an easy case to remove my iPhone and switch easily into a weekend case like a Verus Thor or Magpul.

Last edited:

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Went to Best Buy to give the Patriot another shot. I got a case that doesn't have as much space between the case screen and iPhone screen. Working out great. The Patroit is definitely a quality case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.