Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
A lot of that you may find to be off-axis viewing. These larger screens do tend to experience yellowing off axis. If you move your head directly in front of the screen area that is yellow, do you find the yellowing changes color to whiter?

Afraid not, and actually it's an area going from top to bottom of the screen that is cooler. Kind of like what rainydays referred to as an area with a "blueish hue" compared to the rest of the screen. Also the bottom right corner is a bit more yellow.

I may be mistaken about the screen-wide yellowing, but there are definitely temperature differences in certain areas.

Last edited:

MacGurl111

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2010
Seattle
Afraid not, and actually it's an area going from top to bottom of the screen that is cooler. Kind of like what rainydays referred to as an area with a "blueish hue" compared to the rest of the screen. Also the bottom right corner is a bit more yellow.

I may be mistaken about the screen-wide yellowing, but there are definitely temperature differences in certain areas.

I've noticed this too! Or when my screen just sits and I come back there might be a slight yellow.

The 5k screen seems to be warmer than the iPhone 6 plus screen, is this normal?

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I've noticed this too! Or when my screen just sits and I come back there might be a slight yellow.

The same compared to my 5s, but apparently iPhones have a much cooler color temperature so it is normal.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1827959/

Edit: Although you may be right, the color temperature differences on my display do seem to become more pronounced after a few minutes of use.

Last edited:

MacGurl111

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2010
Seattle
The same compared to my 5s, but apparently iPhones have a much cooler color temperature so it is normal.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1827959/

Edit: Although you may be right, the color temperature differences on my display do seem to become more pronounced after a few minutes of use.

Does it bother you? I know it can annoy others. I just don't want to nit pick at everything.

I went into Displays > Color > Calibrate, I moved the target white point slightly over. Now my screen looks very close to my rMBP, it has more of a blue tint than yellow. However, the colors aren't very saturated, which I'm okay with! :eek:

masterphantom

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2015
Just received my iMac 5k.
And it has one black dead pixel in the bottom part of the screen.
Not sure if I should ask for replacement...

jayco1983

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2014

Heh, I didn't know if it was my eyes or what, but I was working on my 5k and suddenly I got the feeling that everything became slightly more yellowish. Weird. Either way, I've changed the white point to around 7000 and now it looks like my rMBP. Before that I got the feeling that it was a bit too yellow.

lbass

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2014
I've spent a few days with the retina iMac and I'm returning this one. Severe yellow tint to the bottom half of the display and a dead pixel (black) right in the middle of the screen.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
LG screens leave a lot to be desired. Its hit and miss. Surprised that Apple still uses them in their iMacs.
Sometimes calibrating the screen under preferences , displays can help to alleviate the problem and bring the screen to the color and temperature that makes you happy. Try it theres nothing to lose

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
I've spent a few days with the retina iMac and I'm returning this one. Severe yellow tint to the bottom half of the display and a dead pixel (black) right in the middle of the screen.

People need to start using the search function in this forum. It's been stated many, many times, that the yellow tint in the bottom half of the iMac screen happens because of the way the display is made, it's the viewing angle. Lower your head, and look directly at the lower half of the screen, and it will look like the top half. You might have some other problem, but most likely you would return your iMac for nothing. Apple should fix this though....

mgb1120

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Got a replacement.
It doesn't have dead pixels, but have a small grey line (about 2 mm) on the right side, looks like a mote under pixel matrix.
I guess I'm just too picky.

It's in the screen? I would let it go, next one could be worse

masterphantom

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2015

Attachments

• IMG_1753.png
    IMG_1753.png
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,012

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
I don't have one, and honestly hadn't given the 5k iMacs much thought since I'm much more of a MacBook type of user, but I finally got around to looking one at the Apple Store last night and I didn't expect the difference to be so dramatic. In a word, it was stunning. Absolutely gorgeous.

Now my head is coming up with ways to justify the $2499 price tag.

mgb1120

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Here is my replacement, backlight bleeding not too prevelant

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 166

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Yes, in the screen

Perfect timing, because now I get to play along :D

The brighter dot on the top-left is not a reflection. It is on the screen itself, also under the pixel matrix. It has appeared only recently, otherwise I would have noticed it before.

Won't make a big deal about it since it isn't visible from a normal viewing distance, but am leaving it here just to show that such things do happen.

Attachments

• iMacLCDBrightSpot.jpg
    iMacLCDBrightSpot.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 1,021

Wiesenlooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
Am I the only one feeling that the contrast is kind of crappy on the new 5k iMacs? Saw one in an Apple store and it immediately struck me that the greens weren't as green and the blues weren't as blue as with my non-retina iMac. it looked like some kind of filter was applied.

It kind of reminds me of the ipad mini retina display. In fact, it wouldnt surprise me if it were the exact display just cut bigger.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Am I the only one feeling that the contrast is kind of crappy on the new 5k iMacs? Saw one in an Apple store and it immediately struck me that the greens weren't as green and the blues weren't as blue as with my non-retina iMac. it looked like some kind of filter was applied.

It kind of reminds me of the ipad mini retina display. In fact, it wouldnt surprise me if it were the exact display just cut bigger.

I'm going to assume you're the only one. The contrast is night/day better than the 2012/2013, especially off-axis viewing which washed out blacks especially on those models.

yugioh5d

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2015
Corners of iMAC a bit dark?

Hi guys, I just noticed that the bottom corners (both left and right) on my iMAC is a bit sort of dark (more like shadows) when I have a bright background (like white). I have attached the image. Anyone having this problem? Or is it actually normal? It's almost like an edge-lit LCD....

Attachments

• IMG_0361 3.JPG
    IMG_0361 3.JPG
    352.3 KB · Views: 138

jtaylorau

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2014
after 5 months here we go again
image retention start 2 weeks ago went service today just like 2012 rmbp with lg display

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.