Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I'm really trying to like Lightroom but, geez, it really tries to fight you every chance it gets.

I feel like I'm working in a room where everything I need is on opposite walls. Like, I can't delete photos from Collections? Seriously? Why does everything have to be such a chore, Lightroom? Don't be like that.

colorspace

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2005
"I'm working in a room where everything I need is on opposite walls", in a nutshell thats about it! Maybe it's like working in a garage with awesome tools, but you can only use the tools in one drawer at a time?

I'm really trying to like Lightroom but, geez, it really tries to fight you every chance it gets.

I feel like I'm working in a room where everything I need is on opposite walls. Like, I can't delete photos from Collections? Seriously? Why does everything have to be such a chore, Lightroom? Don't be like that.

skaeight

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2009

Something that helped me is yesterday I was importing photos and I had had it setup to use a shoot name when importing them. I had just taken some random pictures, so I was kind of having trouble coming up with a name. I realized there no need to do that, just import using a file name with a date and then I can move it to a collection later if it warrants that. The file system is where your photos live, but collections are where you sort them.

Also u can reject photos in collections, then I'm pretty sure if u hit cmd + backspace it lets u delete all rejected photos.

The one thing I've heard repeatedly is you have to use Lightroom as it's designed, not as if it's apertur or ull be miserable. I'm trying my best to learn.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
I agree; there should be a contextual menu to "remove photo from everywhere." LR takes the whole nondestructive thing to high levels....

But you CAN remove from your disk completely from even inside a collection by using command-shift-option-delete on Tuesdays (kidding about the last bit). You won't get a warning dialog so be sure you wanna do this. And it's DELETE, not backspace.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
But you CAN remove from your disk completely from even inside a collection by using command-shift-option-delete on Tuesdays (kidding about the last bit). You won't get a warning dialog so be sure you wanna do this. And it's DELETE, not backspace.

I don't know how the heck 90 minutes of Googling couldn't find what you pulled up in just a few minutes, but thank you very much.

The fact that it's so many keys really shows just how much Adobe doesn't want me to do this, but at least it's possible.

Thanks!

Also u can reject photos in collections, then I'm pretty sure if u hit cmd + backspace it lets u delete all rejected photos.

The one thing I've heard repeatedly is you have to use Lightroom as it's designed, not as if it's apertur or ull be miserable. I'm trying my best to learn.

That being said, fighting a program is never a winning strategy. I seriously dislike your advice, skaeight, but I'm probably gonna go ahead and follow it.

skaeight

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2009
I don't know how the heck 90 minutes of Googling couldn't find what you pulled up in just a few minutes, but thank you very much.

The fact that it's so many keys really shows just how much Adobe doesn't want me to do this, but at least it's possible.

Thanks!

That being said, fighting a program is never a winning strategy. I seriously dislike your advice, skaeight, but I'm probably gonna go ahead and follow it.

Ha, that's up to you. I'm just trying to be open minded with this transition. Lots of people have liked Lightroom for a while, I want to discover why. I think I'm starting to understand collections and I actually kind of like them.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I think it is a fair enough comment, I mean that it isn't Aperture. I did buy a Kelby book and have watched many online tutorial. Still find it hard to get my head around it.

If the replacement of aperture is not good enough, I will have to step up and focus to get used to it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

Its not perfect, and I'll be the first to admit, I'm not using it to the full potential that I could, but I'm able to adjust to the application. I found that it was easier to adjust to this way, then other applications. Its funny, I felt the same exact way as you did with Capture One, i.e., that app was fighting me every way.

jms969

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
I think it is a fair enough comment, I mean that it isn't Aperture. I did buy a Kelby book and have watched many online tutorial. Still find it hard to get my head around it.

If the replacement of aperture is not good enough, I will have to step up and focus to get used to it.

The public beta for Lightroom 6 should start relatively soon. LR6 should be a major step for LR you might give it a try when it becomes available...

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
I think it helps to switch from Aperture to LR once you realize where it's strengths are.

For me, automatically writing metadata is one. Storing hierarchical keywords is another, as well as how they can be exported, and how they are stored (XMP). The plethora of plugins. The use of real Finder folders, and the ability to manipulate those Finder folders. The "synchronize..." feature used on those folders. And so on.

Those features led me to change my workflow; in Aperture I loved the project and album thing, and sorta ignored my Finder folders. Now I don't, and I use keywords for organization far more, and virtual containers like collections (or projects/albums) far less.

And now I'm finding that using smart previews, the ease of moving folders to externals, and Photosmith are changing the way I use my iPad and laptop with my photos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.