Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yoshi Yogurt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2010
So for some reason my resolution is locked at 2880x1800, and I can't access the usual drop down menu to select a resolution .

Not sure what I can do to fix this since my support software installed just fine when I first installed windows...

A lot of programs I need don't behave nicely in such a huge resolution, specifically NX.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
So for some reason my resolution is locked at 2880x1800, and I can't access the usual drop down menu to select a resolution .

Not sure what I can do to fix this since my support software installed just fine when I first installed windows...

A lot of programs I need don't behave nicely in such a huge resolution, specifically NX.

Right click anywhere in the Desktop, click on Screen Resolution, then click Make text items larger or smaller.

Select Use one scaling level for all displays, and set scaling to 200%.

Yoshi Yogurt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2010
Right click anywhere in the Desktop, click on Screen Resolution, then click Make text items larger or smaller.

Select Use one scaling level for all displays, and set scaling to 200%.

Hmm, but what If I want to play a game on Steam? 2880x1800 is overkill and I'd be happy with only 1440x900.

Is is completely impossible to change the resolution?

Renzatic

Suspended
Then change the resolution from within the game settings itself.

If it isn't allowing him to change the resolution from the desktop, chances are good it'll do the same in games.

I've never experienced this problem myself, at least not to this extent, but on a semi-educated guess, it sounds like a driver/monitor issue. Whatever GPU you have installed isn't seeing the lower resolutions as being compatible with your monitor, and thus doesn't display the option to downscale below the native res. The first thing I'd try is to update the GPU drivers, and see what it does.

Though with this likely being a bootcamped install on a 27" iMac, I'm speaking beyond my experience. Though I'm thinking anything that works on a regular Windows install should work there as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.