Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pndrgnsvc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
Georgetown, Texas
I am unable to run a ping test because the Java Plugin is not enabled. As I recall, there had been a setting in Safari/Preferences/Security that accommodated such. Apparently, the inherent risk (and confusion with of JavaScript?) necessitated hiding or removing the Java Plugin.

Ergo, what/is there a way to easily enable (and disable) the use of the Java Plugin so that I may run the ping test?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I am unable to run a ping test because the Java Plugin is not enabled. As I recall, there had been a setting in Safari/Preferences/Security that accommodated such. Apparently, the inherent risk (and confusion with of JavaScript?) necessitated hiding or removing the Java Plugin.

Ergo, what/is there a way to easily enable (and disable) the use of the Java Plugin so that I may run the ping test?
Use http://speedof.me to run ping tests and bandwidth tests. It does not require Flash or Java. Java is no longer pre-installed on releases of OS X, so unless you installed it yourself, it's not on your system.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Go to this link to install the Java plugin then go back to the site and when you try to run the ping test you should get a popup asking if it is okay to allow the site to use Java for the test.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.