Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matj

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2015
Hi,
So I'm in the market for a new 13" Macbook Pro, I am not desperate I can wait 2-3 months if it means getting the Broadwell chip with what ~30% faster graphics and ~5-8% faster CPU.

What I'd strongly prefer not to do is wait until late June-early July to get the new rMBP. What is the general consensus regarding release date then is it;
April 13"
June/July 15" ?

The reason I say this is various tenuous "sources" like http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...orations-broadwell-launch-schedule-and-a.aspx suggest this. The MR buying guide also makes a fair point that it has been 179 days since the last release and the average time between releases is 259 days. This would come out in early April too.

If I found a screamer of a deal on a refurb 2012 non retina MBP I would be happy to look at this as an option too.

Gildarts

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2014
Hi,
So I'm in the market for a new 13" Macbook Pro, I am not desperate I can wait 2-3 months if it means getting the Broadwell chip with what ~30% faster graphics and ~5-8% faster CPU.

What I'd strongly prefer not to do is wait until late June-early July to get the new rMBP. What is the general consensus regarding release date then is it;
April 13"
June/July 15" ?

The reason I say this is various tenuous "sources" like http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...orations-broadwell-launch-schedule-and-a.aspx suggest this. The MR buying guide also makes a fair point that it has been 179 days since the last release and the average time between releases is 259 days. This would come out in early April too.

If I found a screamer of a deal on a refurb 2012 non retina MBP I would be happy to look at this as an option too.

I'm also waiting for the 15" rMPB but I'm not expecting any hardware announcements at WWDC 2015. It seems to be getting more software focused (and in regards to software there's more then enough to talk about).
Maybe they'll just do the new retina MBA but I don't expect them to update the MBP's at that point in time.

I read the link you added and it seems that the writer is assuming the new MBP's will be running on Broadwell. I'm hoping the MBP's will get Skylake.

This would help differentiate between the MBA/MBP line and it fits the timeline.
Fall for Skylake and MBP's and summer for the MBA Broadwell.

I can definitely tell you that it will not be april. That ain't happening (there's never an event in that month).

Last edited:

Vanilla Face

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2013
April 13"
June/July 15" ?

There isn't a general consensus. No one knows.

At this point I'm not certain there will be a Broadwell MBP. Intel has stated that Skylake parts will arrive in desktop and mobile form factors in time for the back-to-school season in the second half of 2015. Assuming they are talking about the fiscal year, that would mean as early April but but the back to school reference makes me thing June. Dell and other manufacturers are skipping broadwell and waiting for Skylake on a number of machine lines.

bluush

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2007
Agree. All this wait for Broadwell and not Skylake would be quite anticlimactic. Then again, I hear amazing things about Cannonlake. This whole song-and-dance routine never ends. If you need now, buy now. There's always a market for used Macbooks if you want to sell and upgrade to the latest and greatest.

Crobeccada

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2014
Agree. All this wait for Broadwell and not Skylake would be quite anticlimactic. Then again, I hear amazing things about Cannonlake. This whole song-and-dance routine never ends. If you need now, buy now. There's always a market for used Macbooks if you want to sell and upgrade to the latest and greatest.

Amen!

uptempos

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2015
I HAVE NO LAPTOP...and IM ON THE VERGE of getting the rmbp 15 but scared a refresh is around the corner..AHHHH!!

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
I HAVE NO LAPTOP...and IM ON THE VERGE of getting the rmbp 15 but scared a refresh is around the corner..AHHHH!!

Then Donttttt ! Wait for the cloud to clear in another 2 months we will have some news coming out of the leaked spy services information from China and Taiwan when and which rMBP is in the line up !

locksmack

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2012
I can definitely tell you that it will not be april. That ain't happening (there's never an event in that month).

We aren't expecting a redesign, so it will likely be a silent upgrade (no event).

My guess is a Feb/March event to introduce Apple Watch and rMBA, with the rMBP getting a silent update at the same time (or thereabouts).

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
There isn't a general consensus. No one knows.

At this point I'm not certain there will be a Broadwell MBP. Intel has stated that Skylake parts will arrive in desktop and mobile form factors in time for the back-to-school season in the second half of 2015. Assuming they are talking about the fiscal year, that would mean as early April but but the back to school reference makes me thing June. Dell and other manufacturers are skipping broadwell and waiting for Skylake on a number of machine lines.

I'm starting to feel the same. I've been ready and waiting to upgrade my rMBP for a while now - not that it isn't powerful enough.
I think there's a very good chance Apple will skip Broadwell and move straight onto Skylake, I also really really really hope they include a dGPU Maxwell option! Throw in some Freesync/Gsync tech and I'd be the happiest guy on earth! Yes it's not a gaming machine - but it performs really well as one.

DiegoFrancisco

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2009
Very glad I bought a MBP in December - got a sick deal from B&H ($1700 for the standard 15", no tax, free shipping), it's an absolute workhorse, and it doesn't look like I'll be jonesing for the next best thing any time soon.

Jayayess1190

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2013
So we need to wait until Cannonlake to get quad core in the 13"? I guess. I update in 2016/17 then. Another dual-core is just an to incremental update.

Well, it might be longer than that. Some sites are saying we might have Skylake for a bit as the move to 10nm is even harder than 14nm.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
Anyone else think Apple may redesign the Macbook Pro 13" and 15" to mirror the new design of the speculated 12" Macbook Air with Retina Display? Obviously appearing largely the same, but maybe slimmer, the new rumored multi-use power plug could minimalize the ports. Could the Macbook Pro ever be fanless?

mafaky

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2014
Istanbul, Turkey
Dooooon't change it!...

Anyone else think Apple may redesign the Macbook Pro 13" and 15" to mirror the new design of the speculated 12" Macbook Air with Retina Display? Obviously appearing largely the same, but maybe slimmer, the new rumored multi-use power plug could minimalize the ports. Could the Macbook Pro ever be fanless?

I hate to see a slimmer and/or with revised cosmetics rMBP with minimised ports, especially if it happens to come with a single (or maybe two) USB 3.1 ports. If it will come with with the more energy efficient Broadwells (and later with Skylakes) keep the damn case as thick as it is today and build in a higher capacity battery that will give min. 12 hrs. of "normal usage"... (for the 13").
P.S.: with the current type of battery and with Broadwells I'm expecting a min. 10-10.5 hrs. for the next generation of 13", assuming the case and design will remain unchanged.:cool:

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
I hate to see a slimmer and/or with revised cosmetics rMBP with minimised ports, especially if it happens to come with a single (or maybe two) USB 3.1 ports. If it will come with with the more energy efficient Broadwells (and later with Skylakes) keep the damn case as thick as it is today and build in a higher capacity battery that will give min. 12 hrs. of "normal usage"... (for the 13").
P.S.: with the current type of battery and with Broadwells I'm expecting a min. 10-10.5 hrs. for the next generation of 13", assuming the case and design will remain unchanged.:cool:

I must say I do love the current design, but to have 15" form factor that is thinner and lighter would be amazing.

I am coming from a super bulky 2010 15" MBP

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
With the current MBP thinner than the original "thin" MBA - is there a point to make the MBP too thin? the new MBA is all about that - some height is needed for the MBP innards (and battery)?

mafaky

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2014
Istanbul, Turkey
What do you think the chances of the rMBP and rMPA being released/announced at the same time are?

The rumoured ultra thin 12" rMBAir (retina, fanless design, Broadwell) may be announced early in 2nd Q15, like April, sales immediately commencing.The new 13" & 15" rMBP with Broadwell chips are likely announced (again sales immediately commencing) at the end of 2nd Q15. If non-retina MBAs with current cosmetics and still with Broadwell chips will are to exist (particularly the 15" model), these may again be announced early in Q15.

These are all my personal prophecies.;)

Last edited:

tanchik

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2015
Will Broadwell/Skylake have that much of a CPU boost?

My old 15' machine got fried by my heavy graphics use and constant downloads. I think it was the basic 2010 model. So I was going to buy the rMBP with Haswell hitting the ceiling with all the specks. If it handles my giant digital art files (3+ megs) and downloads well, I wouldn't complain. But if Broadwell/Skylake offer much better CPU speeds, then I'm game for them.

Maybe I could fix my old one to get by before the mid-end of 2015 when the new ones come out. I really REALLY need the separate NVIDIA graphics card though, and the 16 gig memory at least. Probably.

nirvanemesis

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2014
Will Broadwell/Skylake have that much of a CPU boost?

My old 15' machine got fried by my heavy graphics use and constant downloads. I think it was the basic 2010 model. So I was going to buy the rMBP with Haswell hitting the ceiling with all the specks. If it handles my giant digital art files (3+ megs) and downloads well, I wouldn't complain. But if Broadwell/Skylake offer much better CPU speeds, then I'm game for them.

Maybe I could fix my old one to get by before the mid-end of 2015 when the new ones come out. I really REALLY need the separate NVIDIA graphics card though, and the 16 gig memory at least. Probably.

The main upgrades will be in the integrated graphics and power efficiency in Broadwell/Skylake. The iGPU boost won't affect the high end 15" I guess, because of the dedicated graphics, but I'm not expecting the CPU power to increase dramatically with Broadwell/Skylake.

mcarling

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2009
The main upgrades will be in the integrated graphics and power efficiency in Broadwell/Skylake.
Correct. Intel's focus is on improved the integrated GPU in order to kill off the discrete GPU market. The potential doubling of transistors that comes with each Tick cycle could be used to increase the number of cores (it is with the server CPUs) however with mobile and desktop CPUs most of the additional transistors are added to the iGPU. Intel will return to adding cores when the dGPU market is dead, maybe with Cannonlake.

The iGPU boost won't affect the high end 15" I guess, because of the dedicated graphics, but I'm not expecting the CPU power to increase dramatically with Broadwell/Skylake.
The iGPU boost will obviate the historical need for discrete graphics in the high-end 15" rMBP. It's only question of when. Broadwell or Skylake.

tanchik

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2015
The main upgrades will be in the integrated graphics and power efficiency in Broadwell/Skylake. The iGPU boost won't affect the high end 15" I guess, because of the dedicated graphics, but I'm not expecting the CPU power to increase dramatically with Broadwell/Skylake.

I guess I should get the current rMBP then. Thanks
Though rumor has it that the base frequency is 2.8 Ghz for Skylake. Just not sure what ceiling MBP would wanna hit with that (3.1?)

mcarling, if they can match the integrated graphics power with a dedicated one, that's fine. I'm just afraid that in their desire to kill the dedicated graphics the quality will suffer. Not good news for gamers or digital artists. I personally think it's more practical to have separate graphics since you can customize your machine. Ordinary folks don't need that much GPU power for browsing the net and watching movies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.