Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

duff3012

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2015
hey there,

i have a mid 2010 MBP running lion. my goal is to upgrade ($20) to mountain lion because my audio interface (apollo twin duo via thunderbolt) minimum requirement is to use ML. therefore backing up lion and setting up time machine is where im seeking some help.

my external is a firewire owc mercury elite pro 2 TB and i have formatted it and backed up lion on it using superduper. no partitions.

if i want to add time machine backup to my external will my Lion backup get erased. do i need to erase my HD and partition it and do a Lion backup and use time machine on the other partition. so there is where im at. do i need to jus keep my external as is and get a separate external for time machine?

im an audio engineer so my external is for logic and protools sessions

thanx n advance!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
You will want to add a second partition to the external and use that for TM, otherwise TM will erase the SuperDuper clone you have on there now.

Just follow this to resize (shrink) the existing partition, then add a second partition to the external and point the TM backup to that.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
My advice:

If you're going to upgrade, I'd suggest this:
1. clone existing drive using SD
2. boot from the clone
3. re-initialize your internal drive
4. install clean copy of Mountain Lion, and...
5. .... when prompted, connect your cloned backup and "migrate" your accounts, apps, and settings.

I would then run the new OS at least a week, to ensure that things were the "way I wanted them to be", BEFORE erasing the old copy of the OS.

I would then create a NEW cloned backup of the NEW OS on an external drive.
You ALWAYS want a SECOND BOOTABLE DRIVE around someplace, ALWAYS.

duff3012

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2015
thankx Weaselboy and Fishrrman on those solutions.

i will resize the partitions and start a tm backup on it.

now getting this mountain lion which is making my head hurt. shall i buy it from...

http://store.apple.com/us/product/D6377Z/A/os-x-mountain-lion

or is there a download link that i haven't found yet?

also Fishrrman i've cloned the existing HD with SD, so next i should do step 2 once i have ML, then do step 3, then do step 4, then do step 5.

questions:

im not understanding step 3. also on step 5 is that tedious to do migrating everything over? lastly what do you mean by erasing the old copy of the OS (youre talking about the old copy on the computer or backed up on the external?)

once i've successfully been running ML i will then on a new external do a SD backup of the new ML

also on the TM partition, can i drag and drop things from my computer and place on that part of the partition without messing up the TM backup in any way? or if i wanted to drop and drag from my computer to the SD backup of my OS partition without messing up the SD backup partition if you get what i mean.

thanx n advance

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.