Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Downloaded before it disappears!

I'm normally against this type of stuff, but some of the system specific installs are next to impossible to find and I've spent a good money acquiring both genuine retail OS 9 disks and and a bunch of genuine system specific disks. Thus, I don't feel guilty about downloading it.

My TiBook(last generation 867mhz) is currently running on a pieced together and hacked install that's mostly function, so I will look forward to giving this a try and hopefully getting a fully functional install.

I have all of the other system-specific disks I currently need, but the TiBook one has been eluding me.

Last edited:

ptdebate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2014
Dallas, Texas

I'm normally against this type of stuff, but some of the system specific installs are next to impossible to find and I've spend good money acquiring both genuine retail OS 9 disks and and a bunch of genuine system specific disks. Thus, I don't feel guilty about downloading it.

My TiBook(last generation 867mhz) is currently running on a pieced together and hacked install that's mostly function, so I will look forward to giving this a try and hopefully getting a fully functional install.

I have all of the other system-specific disks I currently need, but the TiBook one has been eluding me.

I'm against piracy generally, but in cases when the software is no longer for sale from the original manufacturer, I declare open season.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004

I'm normally against this type of stuff, but some of the system specific installs are next to impossible to find and I've spent a good money acquiring both genuine retail OS 9 disks and and a bunch of genuine system specific disks. Thus, I don't feel guilty about downloading it.

I have that rubbish if you need it. Sadly, Apple combined everything into one restore DVD.

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
Amazing! It's just what I was looking for, as I'm getting ready for when I have to do the Last Gasp of PPC in 9.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
I'll try it on my 17" iMac G4 - the last OS 9-bootable model. I still have the massively "corrupt" copy of OS 9 that came on it when I bought it used because I haven't been able to find a model-specific restore disc necessary to get a full copy of OS 9 reloaded.

Now I need a copy of 10.1 that shipped on it... (The 17" model has GeForce 4MX graphics, while the 15" model has 2MX. Every restore disc set I've found is for the 15" model, and doesn't work right. Mac OS X 10.2 and later work perfectly, but finding proper versions of 9.2.2 and 10.1 have proved nearly impossible.)

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
finding proper versions of 9.2.2 and 10.1 have proved nearly impossible.)

I'll echo that. I have that model plus the OSX only 1Ghz that followed and finding the bundled disks that went with them has proved fruitless thus far. I have managed to get OS9 to boot on the 1GHz, however, but it is still limited to 256 colours.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Update:

I made a mistake. I assumed that when I deselected the "clean install", that it would do like it said and install on top of the existing file structure on the partition.

It didn't. It reformatted the partition. :-/

I didn't have anything vital on there, but it was annoying, since it was an original "restore disc image" for the iMac G4 that had iMovie and iDVD on it. (Now I'll have to hunt down that disc again.)

But, it boots and runs juts fine. I like that it has a recent Classilla already loaded!

Other problem: The image does *NOT* have GeForce MX4 drivers! (That's the problem with this model of iMac - it was very short lived, the next model was OS X-boot-only, with the same specs. So OS 9 drivers for the GeForce MX4 were only in the one restore disc set. That's the other problem I have - my restore disc is for the slightly older 15" model, which has MX2. I know I had gotten the MX4 drivers from somewhere, I just can't recall where! That's one of the reasons I'm annoyed it completely overwrote the partition.)

Now to get a copy of OS X 10.1.4 that boots properly. (Just like 9.2.2, it had a custom-just-for-it 10.1.x, since it was the only GeForce 4MX system before 10.2 came out.)

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Update:

I made a mistake. I assumed that when I deselected the "clean install", that it would do like it said and install on top of the existing file structure on the partition.

It didn't. It reformatted the partition. :-/

I didn't have anything vital on there, but it was annoying, since it was an original "restore disc image" for the iMac G4 that had iMovie and iDVD on it. (Now I'll have to hunt down that disc again.)

But, it boots and runs juts fine. I like that it has a recent Classilla already loaded!

Other problem: The image does *NOT* have GeForce MX4 drivers! (That's the problem with this model of iMac - it was very short lived, the next model was OS X-boot-only, with the same specs. So OS 9 drivers for the GeForce MX4 were only in the one restore disc set. That's the other problem I have - my restore disc is for the slightly older 15" model, which has MX2. I know I had gotten the MX4 drivers from somewhere, I just can't recall where! That's one of the reasons I'm annoyed it completely overwrote the partition.)

I'm pretty sure that my OS 9.2.2 disk that came with my QS2002 has those drivers...at least I've used that card(pretty extensively) in the QS without issue.

Even though the disk came with the QS 2002, I've actually used for a LOT of OS 9 installs on various PM G4 towers. I'll see if I can extract the drivers/extensions for the GEForce 4 MX...

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Anyone figure out how to get this bootable on the non OS 9 machines (The specific download they have for them anyway...)? I did try changing my properties in Open Firmware as mentioned on the website but found that they kept resetting themselves.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Anyone figure out how to get this bootable on the non OS 9 machines (The specific download they have for them anyway...)? I did try changing my properties in Open Firmware as mentioned on the website but found that they kept resetting themselves.

Check out the linked forum, it has subsections on each model of system, and (if possible,) how to boot OS 9 on to it.

comda

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
The wizards at OS9Lives have released an iso of 9.2.2 that will install on any system that supports booting the classic OS and meets the system requirements for the final release. If this truly does boot on any system, it means no more hunting for hardware-specific install discs!

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=2109.0

So another dumb question here... When you say hunting for specific hardware disks im assuming thats for later PPC macs correct? I have 3 G3 based machines (all running os 9 and some version of OSX) and i dont have any original disks to these machines as they where all non-working when i received them and ive given them new life.

So these hardware specific disks are for what? g4 systems that cant natively boot the original os 9 disks? if not then what?
I learn as i go and with what i have. I have a Emac 1.42 but never tried os 9 on it... so please dont judge..

ptdebate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2014
Dallas, Texas
So another dumb question here... When you say hunting for specific hardware disks im assuming thats for later PPC macs correct? I have 3 G3 based machines (all running os 9 and some version of OSX) and i dont have any original disks to these machines as they where all non-working when i received them and ive given them new life.

So these hardware specific disks are for what? g4 systems that cant natively boot the original os 9 disks? if not then what?
I learn as i go and with what i have. I have a Emac 1.42 but never tried os 9 on it... so please dont judge..

Well, in my particular experience, the late TiBooks are a bit of a headache because they will only boot a particular build of OS 9.2.2 that is provided with the hardware. If you don't have that particular disk, you cannot run classic OS on your TiBook. There may be other examples, but that's the only one from my experience.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004

Apple continued to produce computers with the ability to boot natively into OS9 long after it stopped development of OS9. The hardware specific discs contain extra OS9 drivers for the logic board components and gpus that shipped with the desktops plus tweaked ROMs. All of these extras are missing from the retail 9.2.1 disc plus 9.2.2 update.

What this disc attempts to do is to combine all of those missing bits and pieces so that it will produce a truly universal OS9 restore disc that is compatible with every Mac that is capable of running MacOS 9.2.2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.