Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solepsis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2015
My work just bought me a brand new new computer. I got it all set up with my info, but occasionally updates for apps associated with the Apple ID of one of the other account managers in the office will show up. We have a time capsule for our wifi, and I think he probably set it up. Would that have anything to do with it? Also, it was shrink wrapped from apple and I recieved it directly from the FedEx guy. No one else has touched it but me.

Keter

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2015
My work just bought me a brand new new computer. I got it all set up with my info, but occasionally updates for apps associated with the Apple ID of one of the other account managers in the office will show up. We have a time capsule for our wifi, and I think he probably set it up. Would that have anything to do with it? Also, it was shrink wrapped from apple and I recieved it directly from the FedEx guy. No one else has touched it but me.

Yes that would.

If the account manager install application from the App Store the password is being requested to update iApps like iPhoto, iMovie, Garageband, Keynote. Usually.

solepsis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2015
It isn't iApps, they're just some random utility apps that I've vaguely heard of before. And hey aren't always there. I was about to look up exactly which ones they are, but they aren't showing now...

Keter

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2015
It isn't iApps, they're just some random utility apps that I've vaguely heard of before. And hey aren't always there. I was about to look up exactly which ones they are, but they aren't showing now...

Either way, the account manager who set up your computer installed applications with the App Store with their Apple ID and that has caused the inability to update without their password.

solepsis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2015
I set up my computer. It was brand new shrink-wrapped straight from the FedEx guy. One of the other account managers' apps are showing up in my App Store update list. He has never touched this computer, and I don't have those apps installed on this computer.

pleomorph

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
Did you restore any files from the Time Capsule backup to the brand new Mac? This does sound like an odd issue, but since apps are DRM'd by the iTunes Store account used to "purchase" them (even if they're free apps), I could see this happening if one of those apps were copied to the new machine.

solepsis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2015
I set it up from scratch. Turned it on, entered my personal Apple ID during set up, opened App Store to get updates, saw apps associated with Apple ID from someone else in the office in my update list. Never used them before. Never even heard of four of the five.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.