Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I don't know about "most". But the tempered glass screen protector is worth the $6-8 to me because it is simple to install. Wipe your screen, line it up, drop it on. Since it's not flexible (but the thick adhesive is), any dust just gets absorbed by the adhesive and there are no bumps or air bubbles. Didn't come out right or a big piece of dust? Just lift it up and redo it (if there's just take it off with tape). SO MUCH EASIER than the plastic ones.

The bad: my GF cracked hers within a few days. It was a Zagg for which I paid $17, and after looking in to their "lifetime warranty" and having no luck getting my password set on their site (I checked out without making an account), I decided just to go with cheap ones from Amazon. They work great.

But it's not going to protect your screen from more than scratches.

I disagree - I find installing the plastic ones much easier! I put a TechArmour glass one on my phone last week, and although I wiped it until it was spotless and even did it in the bathroom after the shower had been running, one piece of dust managed to get on the screen right in the middle. It's not very noticeable, but with a plastic one I could always put it on perfectly as any dust could be removed with a sticker by only peeling a little bit of the protector up.

I do like the scratch-resistance of the glass one compared to plastic ones though. I wouldn't get it if it was much more, but for the sake of a couple of pounds it probably provides a better experience.

scott99

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2007
See this is what I don't understand. If it's not going to protect anything other than scratches, why all the hype for them? I can't believe that people would pay around $40 just so it can go on easier or feel like real glass. I've been reading that people say it's added protection but I'm not getting the same feeling from what you guys are telling me.

I don't have some extreme expectations here btw. I'm just hoping to add some minor protection but if this is just a glorified screen protector, I'll simply pass on it.

Do you not feel that your GF's phone's screen would have cracked if she didn't have it on there?

I've seen dozens of examples where the tempered screen protector took the brunt of the fall, cracked, and the phone's screen did not. So it is my firm belief that yes, they are worth it.

DeftwillP

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2011
I think it's important to note that just because the tempered glass breaks in a fall, that doesn't mean that the exact same fall would have broken your screen sans tempered glass.

That being said, I have a tempered glass on. It is chipped from a fall.

rjbeh

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2011
Malaysia
Cracks me up whenever I see threads like this asking if the tempered glass screen protector is worth it or not. Unlike in the states where Apple care+ is a common thing, people like me over in the SEA country does not have apple care. Which is why tempered glass is a MUST for us. So you say you don't use the any screen protector? Well check this picture out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 182

stcizzle

macrumors regular
May 20, 2011
NH, USA
I think they are worth it, absolutely. Although a great point was made that when a tempered glass breaks that doesn't mean that the screen would have necessarily broken, BUT, my wife and I have had $35 Zagg tempered glass screen protectors on all our iP4S's, iP5's, iP5S's, and now both our iP6 and 6S, and we have shattered the tempered glass protectors 3X from direct face-flat falls both on pavement and kitchen ceramic tiles. I can't say for sure the screens would have chipped or broken or shattered, etc, but they definitely would have had visible, view-impairing scratches at the least and for that they were definitely worth it for us. AND, Zagg replaced them for only a $10 installation fee each time which is also worth it for us at least. Just my 2 cents.

ttNB

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Nor' Jersey & New York (Twi-State)
Cracks me up whenever I see threads like this asking if the tempered glass screen protector is worth it or not. Unlike in the states where Apple care+ is a common thing, people like me over in the SEA country does not have apple care. Which is why tempered glass is a MUST for us. So you say you don't use the any screen protector? Well check this picture out.

Yea, the first gen of glass protectors, didn't cover the face of the 6/6+, and the curved bezel took the hit, while the rest of the protector did its job.
The protectors that have the glass curve, are hollow, to fit the raised glass from the screen, giving it full protection. The 2nd photo looks like a great save!:cool:

Yptcn

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2012
Paris
I've tried a few glass protectors when i got my 6 but none of them covered the whole curved glass ? When my favorite brand came out , Moshi , I immediatly bought one , not the glass one though , the Ivisor in AG and it's perfect . A friend has the XT (Clear) and loves it too.
The thing is you can take it off wash it and re apply as often as you want . I've been doing that with MBP , iPad and iPhone . Sore , they are more expensive but worth every penny ?

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I'm using an extremely thin case (Caudabe Veil) for my 6+ and I'm of the opinion that a tempered glass (screen protector) might be a perfect addition to my phone. I normally will always rock my phone naked but with this I'm willing to add a bit of protection to it.

I know that AppleCare is an option but honestly it's a tad too pricey for me right now. So with that said, are there any con's against tempered glass? Is it only useful if the phone is dropped a specific way, etc.?

Have you witnessed the benefits of it yourself?
Absolutely YES.
Try one and you'll never come back to a plastic screen protector.
They worths every dollar.

Reactions: ABC5S

loveleelatina

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2014
I bought my zagg glass for 19 verses the 35 they are asking on the site and just took it to the mall and he installed it for 5 bucks registered it for the warranty as I waited. I love it and the fact I saved 16 bucks makes it better lol

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
See this is what I don't understand. If it's not going to protect anything other than scratches, why all the hype for them? I can't believe that people would pay around $40 just so it can go on easier or feel like real glass. I've been reading that people say it's added protection but I'm not getting the same feeling from what you guys are telling me.

I don't have some extreme expectations here btw. I'm just hoping to add some minor protection but if this is just a glorified screen protector, I'll simply pass on it.

Do you not feel that your GF's phone's screen would have cracked if she didn't have it on there?
My iPhone 5S was hit by a luggage corner, and the glass screen protector took the hit and broke. The display under it was untouched. 24€ well spent imho.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I think the only thing tempered glass does is give extra scratch protection. I've had my 6 plus since launch without a glass protector and it's still scratch free.

I think they are pretty useless in most situations.

When we had the Iphone 4 and such that scratched easily that was a different story.

sk2sep2304

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
Yes they're worth the $10-20. I dropped by 5S in between the center console and drivers seat day 1 and lived with a light scratch. The $10 tempered glass screen protector was well worth it. I liked the idea of the plastic screen protectors but the glass feels so much like the orignial screen and it so much easier to install.

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
Been proven time and time again tempered glass is well worth it. Personally I use Zagg. Mainly because of their lifetime no hassle replacement but they do provide quality product.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Not true, they have ones that cover the front curve of the 6/6+, in its entirety.
Check out iloome, and they do take the impact, avoiding your screen from being damaged.

A good clear hybrid case, ( soft cushiony sides, with a hard shell anti-scratch, anti-yellowing )case.
With a iloome glass screen protector, and your set.
You get the stock glass feeling, of how the iPhone is supposed to feel, while being protected,
And you can admire the beauty of the iPhone, through a see-through minimalist designed case, that won't add on the weight and won't make it so easy to slide out of your hands, and possibly putting your case and glass screen protector to work. ��
What do you recommend for the non yellowing, scratch resistant clear or matte transparent case?

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I like having the glass protectors on my phones and have had one on since they came out. So many other claim they never get scratches on their screens. I always do and I'm super careful. I trade my electronic and always get top trade in value. However, for me, I just hate to have something all scratched up. My current Plus was without a screen protector the first couple of months I had it as they really weren't any decent screen protectors out yet. And sure enough just in that time, I had some micro scratches on the screen. I think they come from using the phone with earrings on. I'm not going to take off my earring to answer the phone so plan B a glass screen protector. I have the Benks unique pro which gives very close to full screen protection and I love it.

In the past with other phones, I've dropped them on a corner and the case and screen protector both chipped but kept my phone protected with no damage. With the rounded Plus, I'm not so sure this would work the same.

Still like my phone with a decent glass protector.

RWil85

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
I read back through several posts and can't believe that nobody has mentioned Anker.

Currently they're $5.99 on Amazon for the iPhone 6 - no tax/shipping where I'm at.

I've had one on my device for a while now - can't imagine how any other glass screen protector could improve upon this experience.

IMO - you guys who are spending $30-40+ on your protectors are spending a bit much. Anker also has written on the product description on Amazon that they will replace under two scenarios - installation issues or if it scratches under normal usage. Don't know how you beat that for $5.99.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Yes my glass screen protector was $9 in amazon prime shipped. As stated above, I can't imagine forking over $40+ on one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.