Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you using semi-colons in Swift?

• Yes, semi-colons for life

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Nah, lose them like old baggage

Votes: 17 85.0%

• Total voters

theSeb

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
none
I am curious what others are doing. I find old habits are hard to shake after a couple of decades of writing code and I keep adding the semi-colon after statements, even though I don't need to.

I feel that a semi-colon is the "completion" of yet another great line of code :D and it seems odd to me to not have one. I also think it makes code more readable because I don't expect semi-colons on conditional statements, loops and so forth.

What are others doing? Have you managed to lose the semi-colon like it's old baggage, or are you holding on?

Sean7512

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2005
I've been using Groovy a lot since 2010 and so I have gotten used to not having any semi-colons.

PhoneyDeveloper

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2008
When you go to the continent do you use Euros or pounds sterling?

Semicolons are so twentieth century.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I haven't heard any arguments for using them (unlike with JavaScript) so no, I don't use them.

It saddens me that Swift has curly braces. It needs to ditch them, as Python and Boo have.

Ritmo

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2009
Finland
After having gone through couple Swift tutorials I felt weird going back to Objective-C. For first few lines I kept forgetting *asterix and semicolons. :/

larswik

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2006
I know you don;t need them but if you work with other languages requiring them and it doesn;t hurt to use them in Swift so I continue to use them. I also still use () for my conditions in IF statements. To me it is more readable to see them still then not;

kyussmondo

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
UK
No I don't use them. I spend a lot of time using Ruby as well so I am more used to not using semi-colons.

I forget to use semi-colons in Objective-C all of the time now, including the @ for strings.

AppSwage

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2015
When I started working with Python I though the lack of the ";" and "{" and "[", etc. made the language seem almost like a toy. That didn't last long as I quickly got used to how much more efficient and easier to read the code was. I haven't moved to Swift yet (although I have been studying it) but I won't miss the million and half square brackets when I do that is for sure. I won't miss the semicolon either....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.