Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AzuriteK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2014
My 2014 128gb 12 Hour MBA runs nicely with OSX.
But I am considering dual booting Windows 8.
Have any of you already done this or are still using Windows 8 with MBA?

My biggest concern is Battery life, I have heard that it is very battery efficient with the MBA, but I have also heard the opposite.

I would like to hear your guys' experiences with Windows 8

Also with 128gb its going to be rather tight depending on how large Win 8 will take up

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have a 256GB MBP that has bootcamp/windows 8 installed. I can say that Mac has a shorter battery lifespan while running windows.

I also think 128GB may be a tight fit for windows 8, how much free space do you currently have?

tyche

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
Windows 8.1 64 bit will install in around 15gb (probably less). Then you have things like pagefile, swapfile, hibernation (size of memory so can be big).

My basic Windows 8.1 64bit with 8gb pagefile, hibernation disabled, and some basic software (small utilities, firefox) clocks in around 23 GB. Then you need room for the software you plan to install.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Windows 8.1 64 bit will install in around 15gb (probably less). Then you have things like pagefile, swapfile, hibernation (size of memory so can be big).

My basic Windows 8.1 64bit with 8gb pagefile, hibernation disabled, and some basic software (small utilities, firefox) clocks in around 23 GB. Then you need room for the software you plan to install.

I wouldn't want to install win8 on anything less then 40GB, even then that's a bit tight.

AzuriteK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2014
I have a 256GB MBP that has bootcamp/windows 8 installed. I can say that Mac has a shorter battery lifespan while running windows.

I also think 128GB may be a tight fit for windows 8, how much free space do you currently have?

I have 93.8GB currently left. However I am planning to run mainly the W8 with like 2/3 of the space allocated. How much shorter would you say the battery life is on average use? I mean the battery is what I prioritize more than anything. I also understand that windows percentage estimate is very exact aswell.

How is the sleep to wake on W8 for you? Speeds compatible to Yosmite?

freeuser

Suspended
Apr 8, 2013
why not give Parallels or Vmware a try?

you can get Parallels or Vmware trials and install Win8/8.1 with a Demo key and try it yourself, it can be done in less than one hour, and it will use only the least harddisk space for your virtual machine. And if you don't like it, just throw it into trash ;-).

AzuriteK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2014
you can get Parallels or Vmware trials and install Win8/8.1 with a Demo key and try it yourself, it can be done in less than one hour, and it will use only the least harddisk space for your virtual machine. And if you don't like it, just throw it into trash ;-).

Yeah I am aware of Parallels, but I think it uses much more battery than bootcamp because you're essentially running two OS at the same time.

AzuriteK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2014
Update: I have installed and am running windows 8 on my 2014 MBA.

I noticed a significant decrease in battery, more than I had expected.
About 5 hours of internet browsing.

Not sure if windows 7 would be a better option at this point.

Could some people post their experiences :)
That would be great!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
That unfortunately is the downside of running windows natively on an apple laptop. Battery consumption is much greater then OSX.

Tbh, since my windows needs are much greater then they were a while ago, I opted for for a surface pro, so I can run windows with that, get great battery life and MBP is freed up to running OS X all the time.

AzuriteK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2014
That unfortunately is the downside of running windows natively on an apple laptop. Battery consumption is much greater then OSX.

Tbh, since my windows needs are much greater then they were a while ago, I opted for for a surface pro, so I can run windows with that, get great battery life and MBP is freed up to running OS X all the time.

The surface pro is a great machine, I was looking to purchase it aswell.
However, seeing threads such as these: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1606590/
Convinces me that I should try out different versions of windows, since my battery time (even without doing anything) is significantly lower than 10 hours.
With that being said, do you think I should try installing windows 7 or xp

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.