Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
This seemed like a foregone conclusion to me - know a lot of iOS users who got tired of waiting for a bigger phone, switched and then switched back when the 6/6+ came out. Glad :apple: was able to capitalize on the pent up demand

Apple should have done it sooner. But I think it was the 3.8inch purist that held them back from doing.

Narg

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2008
All this talk about how much RAM is in the iPhone. Just shows why they switched to Android, they really don't know anything about phones....

----------

Unlike Apple that doesn't allow rollback can't you go back to Kit Kat 4.4.4 on the Nexus 5?

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

Wrong, it's quite easy to downgrade an iPhone. Of course it's not Apple approved, but still easy to do. But why would you do that anyway? Kinda stupid to do so these days.

----------

My problems with iOS:
- pain in the butt to enable tethering, why in the world does tethering always enable my Bluetooth
- can't watch HD YouTube video over LTE
- can't download 100 mb apps over LTE, come on I have a 37 GB a month plan, most new plans in Poland now have unlimited LTE, why have such a restriction?
- Game Center notification cannot be turned off

Other than that, iOS is awesome.

Not sure where you got this list from, but I don't think you use an iPhone. None of these issues bother other iPhone users. Tethering does not turn on Bluetooth that I've ever seen (just tested it, no Bluetooth) Might be your carrier that's forced that setup. And your Carrier also restricts the downloads too, not Apple. Also, you can turn off any and all Game Center notifications. RTFM.

SirCheese

Suspended
Sep 30, 2014
Fort Myers, Florida
All this talk about how much RAM is in the iPhone. Just shows why they switched to Android, they really don't know anything about phones.....
Or they do, and that's why they switched......

----------

All this talk about how much RAM is in the iPhone. Just shows why they switched to Android, they really don't know anything about phones....

----------

Wrong, it's quite easy to downgrade an iPhone. Of course it's not Apple approved, but still easy to do. But why would you do that anyway? Kinda stupid to do so these days.

----------

None of these issues bother other iPhone users.
And you know all the millions of users who use an iphone? No? Didn't think so.

4tune8chance

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Eyes

The only reason my wife has a Galaxy Note is because of her poor eyesight, now the 6+ has arrived, we will be getting her one very soon.
Android has been very buggy (original software was good, subsequent issues killed it) and the phone now needs to be reset on a regular basis because it will ring but you cannot 'pick up' the call, very frustrating.

j800r

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2011
Coventry, West mids, England
It's the larger screens mostly. However, for me I was all for making the switch before now. I just haven't been able to afford it before. Plus 4.7 is the perfect sweet spot in size to me. Not too big, not too small.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
As an iphone user since the 1st iPhone (And still the best to hold weight and desgine wise) i have played with both the 6 and 6Plus as well as other phone and i think, this year, ill be going for the HTC One M8 (or M9 if its out and has a similar form factor)

I find the iPhone 6 too thin to hold comfortable when talking... the origonal iPhone was perfect, the 3G and 3Gs i liked the shape of, if not the material, but the 4 onwards, too flat and square, and the 6, too thin...

From a pure "comfort in hand" perspective i like a bit of weight and bulk to my phone, I dont want a piece of paper thin tech that weighs nothing.. so i guess i am the exact opposite of the customer type apple are chasing, who seem to be people who want a fashion accessory rather than a usable devices

D-Dave

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2010
My iPhone 6 downloads at 105 mb/s over wifi. My Macbook downloads at 180 mb/s over wifi. 105 mb/s is more than enough, Safari can't render pages that quick any way.

I am not sure...is it realy an advantage for the iphone to be "fast enough" via wifi because the browser is to slow to take advantage of the already reduced speed...very odd statement.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
My iPhone 6 downloads at 105 mb/s over wifi. My Macbook downloads at 180 mb/s over wifi. 105 mb/s is more than enough, Safari can't render pages that quick any way.

Is this 802.11ac or 802.11n? For comparison Note 3 does 200Mb/s over 802.11ac.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Is this 802.11ac or 802.11n? For comparison Note 3 does 200Mb/s over 802.11ac.

Not that it matters for what either phone does, however, the iphone 6 is faster than that speed the op specified. My i6 has the same speedtest stats as my desktop. You can't really say the note 3 is faster because the "whole thing" depends on the router configuration as well as the capped isp speeds, as well as a whole myriad of other factors including how crowded the airwaves are and how far away you are from the access point or router.

Last edited:

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
maybe existing owners arent upgrading because to anybody with the existing devices, knowing they're still packing 1GB ram is a big turn off. It was for me. Im waiting for the 6S.
You made an excellent decision.

While my iP6+ performs decently, I'm deliberately restricting the number of apps, especially resource intense apps we use for work. I handle all that on my Nexus 6. I'm very eager to sell this first generation 6 series and pre-order the 6S or whatever it's called upon it's release.

I predict Apple will reinforce it structurally to enhance durability. They'll also include more ram. That'll be a iPhone up to heavy work especially multitasking. History reveals that S models are always nicely improved iPhones.

I'm eager to be able to use the upcoming new iPhone as my primary smartphone again.

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015
You made an excellent decision.

While my iP6+ performs decently, I'm deliberately restricting the number of apps, especially resource intense apps we use for work. I handle all that on my Nexus 6. I'm very eager to sell this first generation 6 series and pre-order the 6S or whatever it's called upon it's release.

I predict Apple will reinforce it structurally to enhance durability. They'll also include more ram. That'll be a iPhone up to heavy work especially multitasking. History reveals that S models are always nicely improved iPhones.

I'm eager to be able to use the upcoming new iPhone as my primary smartphone again.

How many apps do you need to have open all at once on a phone? Ive had like 15 open at the same time and didn't notice any issues in any of them. You should try a laptop :)

custom1

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2013
maybe existing owners arent upgrading because to anybody with the existing devices, knowing they're still packing 1GB ram is a big turn off. It was for me. Im waiting for the 6S.[/QUOTE

Do a search for why iPhone 6 only needs 1 gig of ram. You might find the answers enlightening. I came from Android after 4 Samsung phones my last one being a new Note 4 which had 3 GB. I do not miss that 3GB vs the 1GB. My iPhone 6 Plus handles everything just fine.

Last edited:

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Do a search for why iPhone 6 only needs 1 gig of ram. You might find the answers enlightening. I came from Android after 4 Samsung phones my last one being a new Note 4 which had 3 GB. I do not miss that 3GB vs the 1GB. My iPhone 6 Plus handles everything just fine.

IMO, the issue isn't the amount of RAM on the iPhone 6/6+, its how Mobile Safari so aggressively marks tabs to be refreshed.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
maybe existing owners arent upgrading because to anybody with the existing devices, knowing they're still packing 1GB ram is a big turn off. It was for me. Im waiting for the 6S.

While you may be right I'll be the average consumer doesn't know how much RAM their phone has. I can't tell you how much RAM my phone has without looking it up.

viorelgn

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
Romania
It seems like the writers here think "android" only means Samsung. Even though they are the largest they are by far not the only name in the game. On a whole Android sold far more than iOS worldwide. Of course there were many people using android because of the bigger screen and went back to iOS because of the "coolness" of the brand at the moment or it was simpler to use. It was not because it had more features.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
Why do you think Apple have record quarters? They carefully withhold certain things in order to make sure that the desire of a new phone remains in consumers. That's not to say that they make bad phones, but there are certain things they're carefully withholding. To some degree I feel that's why they haven't been plateauing, unlike their competitors.

I've gone from a 3GS to a 4S to a 5S and will likely get a 6S, I have loved all of them, some incredible devices. But why the hell did they choose such an odd resolution for the 6? 1080p is a good standard and not everyone wants a ridiculous jumbo sized phone. 4.7" is the sweet spot.

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
I've gone from a 3GS to a 4S to a 5S and will likely get a 6S, I have loved all of them, some incredible devices. But why the hell did they choose such an odd resolution for the 6? 1080p is a good standard and not everyone wants a ridiculous jumbo sized phone. 4.7" is the sweet spot.

Well the reason for that is because of the resolution which 5 and 5S had. To sort of scale it instead of coming up with an entirely new resolution which would've created more work for devs. 2x assets. Same thing really goes for the 6 Plus which actually down samples 2208×1242, 3x assets, into 1080p.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I was also an android switcher. I've used iPhones in the past 3G,4. However I found the 5S too small and had to sell if. Now I have the 6 plus and I really like it. I think as soon as they announced the bigger screen I knew I was going to move back to iOS.

kwikdeth

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Tempe, AZ
maybe existing owners arent upgrading because to anybody with the existing devices, knowing they're still packing 1GB ram is a big turn off. It was for me. Im waiting for the 6S.[/QUOTE

glad to know your own use case means other people's use cases are irrelevant. all i know is my experience with a 5S, also with 1GB of ram, and frequently getting to a point where every time i toggle web tabs the entire page reloads. and this is only with safari and a few other apps open.... added resolution, graphic elements, i cant imagine it being a "better" experience... its like running a 500hp engine on a stock transmission... you're gonna run into problems.

----------

While you may be right I'll be the average consumer doesn't know how much RAM their phone has. I can't tell you how much RAM my phone has without looking it up.

very true, and for a lot of use cases, you're right, its not relevant. but for those of us who use our devices a lot, it does make a difference, and deliberately crippling a "power" product just to pad the bottom line (seriously, how much does RAM cost in 2015? not much) is just cheap on their part, especially since the power users were already complaining about the 1GB ram in the 5S causing issues.

between the 1GB ram, and them continuing to push out 16GB devices that cant install OS updates due to lack of space, its just cheap, plain and simple.

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
How many places have you've been in the world? Because I can tell you that is not that case. It's is a played out argument that android is for the poor.
Simple observation/example: China and India have a similarly huge population, but China has vastly more iPhones than India.

Do your own calculation of the number of middle class or above people in both countries, and see if it has anything to do with the differences between iOS and Android between the two countries.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.