Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twinkies

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2015
This is the type of computer I am using.
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)
Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB

Earlier today, I was trying to save a pdf and carelessly pressed ok on a pop-up that said the PDF was unable to save. After doing this several times, I went to check my documents in the finder, and almost everything was gone. All the folders I had organized, gone. All the documents that I had made, gone. I tried to search for them, but only could find documents that I had downloaded. I opened up microsoft word and tried to access the file through there, but it said the file could not be found and that I could try to manually find it. I tried to do that, but it just took me back to the finder. Is there anything I can do to restore these files? I would prefer not to have to purchase $100 recovery software. Thanks for your time and feedback.

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
Invest $100 in recovery software, then another $100 on an additional disk and set up Time Machine.

Regard the first $100 as the cost of a lesson on why you should backup before and not after you need to. It's a harsh lesson but most people including me have been there, done that.

Perhaps also spend a few bucks on extra storage (if needed) with an offline backup. Might be icloud, dropbox, whatever. Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.