Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
That's good to know, I may have to pick one up :)

I have a 100 dollar gift card from MS, so getting a tablet there will be short money :D

I've been having a lot of fun with the 8" Insignia Flex WinTab I received for Christmas. Very nice for $100. It runs the 32-bit version of Windows 8.1 so it has support for Win16 apps (which I've already tested with some of those ancient Microsoft Home Edutainment titles)

I've installed a variety of apps on it, including Fusion (Sega Master System/Genesis/CD/32X emulator)... coupled that with a USB Genesis controller and it makes an amazing portable Sega console.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I see their have again been rumours of an 8" Microsoft Pro tablet... maybe they will launch one this year? They have stopped making the Surface 2 (none Pro version) now. So they have a space in the price range.

If anything, I've heard rumors that SP4 may be in a larger form factor. I think its a step backwards for MS to go to an 8 inch for factor at the stage. FWIW, I've not heard of any of the 8" rumors, only the larger one.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
If anything, I've heard rumors that SP4 may be in a larger form factor. I think its a step backwards for MS to go to an 8 inch for factor at the stage. FWIW, I've not heard of any of the 8" rumors, only the larger one.

Yeah, we will see what happens, I read a rumour on a couple of sites. I think they should not to bigger as the portability reduces, I did read about the bigger size rumours though.

Mcdevidr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2013
Picked up a tw700 winbook from micro center a few weeks ago for 35$ out the door. It was missing the charger and office but I didn't need that stuff. It's the greatest tablet ever made!

All joking aside. It is a pretty cool little device for $35 dollars. I had it hooked up to a 1080p Dell monitor for display and usb. The Dell monitor usb hub powers the tablet. Pretty neat little toy to mess with. It does steam stream ok ( I'm thinking of adding a usb AC wireless dongle). It also handles one or two tasks at the most quite well. If you open too much the 1Gb of ram kinda hurts it but it doesn't slow down too much.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Depends upon your definition of "reasonably affordable".

I picked up an 8" Insignia Windows 8.1 Tablet for $99 @ Best Buy. Very solid build quality but the 16GB storage kills it.

The Dell Venue 8 Pro is $199.

HP and Toshiba both have Windows tablets for $129-$300

The toshiba encore write 2 is available in 8" and 10" sizes at $349 and $399 with an excellent wacom es pen. Windows oems are catching on but just need a little more design finish. But thats what I thought about oem
laptops 10 years ago.

----------

I wouldn't mind them releasing a more traditional laptop style 15" Surface Pro, a'la the Lenovo Yoga, so long as MS continues producing 10-12" tablets like the SP3.

I dont know if the plastic keyboard concept is scalable. I found the 12.6
key cover abit floppy. Still i would welcome a 14" surface tablet--perfect
art pad

----------

I know, but then there's others as well, like lenovo and what not.

I have heard (and read) good things about the Dell 8" tablet - just because its dell doesn't mean its automatically crap.

So far though I'm happy with my SP3, the 12" tablet is nicely sized. :)

The sp 3 is the same weight as the original ipad--but is a much larger screen. It
somehow feels amazingly light!

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
These cheap sub $200 devices are quite interesting. Desktop mode on an 8inch screen is sort of a pain but attached to a monitor you have a full computer. For a light user this is probably all the computer one would need. The tablets with the full size USB port and HDMI port are the most useful. USB port for external storage, dongles etc. and the HDMI port for HTPC or desktop use. If all one did was light browsing and MS office this would probably be a good option on a budget.

I personally bought an HP Stream 14z. Aluminum Build, Beats audio, 3 usb Ports (1x 3.0 2x 2.0), full HDMI, micro sd and solid construction for $230. Not a speed demon but it handles most of my usage just fine and for the price you can't beat it. No crapware either if you get the signature edition from Microsoft. Bought it as a toy but now it is my main laptop. Still can't believe it was $230. My only gripe is the storage but I knew what I was getting into going in.

hp_stream_14_14z010nd.jpg

en-INTL-L-HP-Stream-14-2GB-32GB-CWF-01852-RM1-mnco.jpg

Interested in seeing how much better things will get with Windows 10. I plan on buying the updated model whenever Win10 comes out assuming HP keeps going with the Stream line.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Yeah, that HP Stream 8 I played around with ran an Intel Atom with full Windows 8.1 (Not RT). Its a little crippled with 1GB RAM and 32GB SSD but for $179 you can't really complain. Especially since it comes with a year of Office365 (normally $99) and lifetime 4G data (200MB quota/mth).

I am going to wait though because I'm waiting for the hardware to catch up with the newly released Intel Broadwell microarchitecture chips. At the very least the Broadwell Y (aka Core M) with a 3.5W TDP will allow light and thin tablets yet with decent x86 performance. I want something the size/weight of say an iPad2 but with a full powered x86-64 performance. Then I can run my full Office and Eclipse.

The 1gb of ram is a limitation of that particular Atom Processor. I just bought the Stream 7 on sale from the Microsoft store for $79 with Free shipping an a $25 Windows store credit

----------

These cheap sub $200 devices are quite interesting. Desktop mode on an 8inch screen is sort of a pain but attached to a monitor you have a full computer. For a light user this is probably all the computer one would need. The tablets with the full size USB port and HDMI port are the most useful. USB port for external storage, dongles etc. and the HDMI port for HTPC or desktop use. If all one did was light browsing and MS office this would probably be a good option on a budget.

I personally bought an HP Stream 14z. Aluminum Build, Beats audio, 3 usb Ports (1x 3.0 2x 2.0), full HDMI, micro sd and solid construction for $230. Not a speed demon but it handles most of my usage just fine and for the price you can't beat it. No crapware either if you get the signature edition from Microsoft. Bought it as a toy but now it is my main laptop. Still can't believe it was $230. My only gripe is the storage but I knew what I was getting into going in.

Interested in seeing how much better things will get with Windows 10. I plan on buying the updated model whenever Win10 comes out assuming HP keeps going with the Stream line.

The current Stream Line should be automatically updated to Windows 10 when released

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.