Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CaptTCS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Bainbridge Island, WA
Hi there. I hope someone can help me with this.

I have a Movie Library (on a Mac Mini) consisting of about 375 titles, which I watch using Apple TV.
Of these titles, about half are backups from my old DVD collection and about half are purchased from iTunes.

I have created a more specific Genre system to browse the movies, (Eg: "007" for the 25 Bond Films, "Comic Book / Super Hero" for Marvel Films & the like, Separate "Sci-Fi" and "Fantasy" Genres, etc). I have figured out how to go into "Get Info" to change the genre of a given movie, and it works <initially>.. HOWEVER... If I change the Genre of a Movie that I bought from iTunes, eventually iTunes will put it back into it's original Genre. Weird, huh?

Well, here's the even Weirder part... Once iTunes has taken upon it's self to place my movie back into it's original genre, I go into "Get Info" to change it back, and guess what... It HAS NOT changed in "Get Info".. and when I leave that menu, it will change it back to the genre I changed it to, FOR NOW... Eventually, it will change it back <to the Genre IT thinks it should be under>, and without actually undoing the changes I have made in "Get Info".

Has anyone else experienced this before? Am I somehow missing a step, when I change the genre? Is the genre just permanently encoded in the film file?

Is there ANYTHING I can do?

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Has anyone else experienced this before?

Yes - see this: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1758652/

I have seen weirdness between genres on my AppleTV and iTunes as well. On mine, I have over 100 movies with a Genre "Drama" and they all appear properly grouped together on my Mac. On the AppleTV, one movie shows a separate Genre of "drama" (all lowercase) and the rest show "Drama".

I don't think I've seen this issue with custom Genres though. I have a few purchased movies with "Sci Fi & Fantasy" as the genre. I changed them to "Science Fiction" and it appears to have "stuck" so far…. :)

JEMMac

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2015
Help changing "Get Info" in iTunes Movies

I have figured out how to go into "Get Info" to change the genre of a given movie, and it works <initially>

I understand the issue you are experiencing is how to get iTunes to retain your changes; but I can't even get iTunes to let me change any information associated to movies. All I want to do is change and create Genres; can you help me understand how you did this? When I go into a movie and get the info, I can see the data, but it's all greyed out and unchangeable.

Any help would be great.

Penquin79

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2011
One thought is you might try using Identify, Subler or similar to make the change into the movie file. When you make the change in iTunes all you are doing is changing the library file, not the movie file itself. No real risk, if you muck up the file you can always re-download the iTunes purchase.

JEMMac

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2015
Penquin79,

Thanks for your suggestion. I just downloaded iDentify, and the application works great for files that are downloaded on your local HD. I'm looking for a solution to change the Genres of movies I've purchased that are in the cloud. We are apple TV addicts in my home and I want to make sure it works in that eco system w/o having everything on my HD since we have too many movies from iTunes anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.