Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lschultz777

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
I want to upgrade my memory on my old laptop for the kids. This is my macbook pro:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP31.0070.B07
SMC Version (system): 1.16f11
Serial Number (system): YD8159MLX91
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-001B6398B058
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

I'm not sure which memory to get. I know amazon is loaded with them. Any suggestions on what to get?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I want to upgrade my memory on my old laptop for the kids. This is my macbook pro:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1

I'm not sure which memory to get. I know amazon is loaded with them. Any suggestions on what to get?
Your Mac will support up to 6GB of 667 MHz PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM. As long as the specs match, it doesn't matter which brand you use.

lschultz777

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
I think the 2 sticks I will go with as its cheaper. Is it difficult to replace ? I've done if before in a tower but not a laptop.

lschultz777

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
If I get the 2 sticks will that be enough memory for me to upgrade to Snow Leopard 10.8?

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
maybe upgrade to an SSD? it will make it faster as it doesn't have any moving parts

Raunien

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2011
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201165

Here is a link for how to replace your memory. It's pretty simple, just have to ground yourself and be careful. Make sure the battery is unplugged from the logic board.

4gb is enough for snow leopard (10.6 not 10.8).

But I also agree with Natzoo, upgrading to an ssd will do wonders.

lschultz777

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
which one on amazon would you recommend?

Is an SSD easy to install? The memory sticks are so easy.

Last edited:

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
which one on amazon would you recommend?

Is an SSD easy to install? The memory sticks are so easy.

SSD is rather easy to install.

10.8 (Mountain Lion, not Snow Leopard) requires 2GB bare minimum. 4GB would be good for Mountain Lion. If you don't upgrade then it would be slow.

lschultz777

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Any recommendations for SSD? There are so many out there I'm not sure which one would be good for my "old girl" !

lschultz777

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
When I got Amazon and search for Crucial SSD, pages come up. Can anyone give me specifics ?

austinpike

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
MN
I would be cautious of putting an SSD in that machine. I recently upgraded a friend's MBPro of similar vintage (a 4,1) and had nothing but problems. I had a number of SSDs lying around (240gb from crucial, kingston, and seagate) - they all failed partway through the OS install. The only one that made it through was a 120gb Kingston V300. It mystifies me as to why that drive worked when the 240gb version of the same drive errors out. Note that all these drives work just fine in various other (newer) machines.

Part of the problem is the 2007 MacBook Pro only has SATAI, whereas current drives are SATAIII. Theoretically the drive will downstep to the SATAI speed (which will still be much faster than a platter HD) but for whatever reason it wasn't working for me. You might be better off if you can find and older SATAII drive, but those actually cost more since they are out of production.

I'm not saying you shouldn't try it, but I'd buy from a place you can easily return, or have another use in mind for the SSD if it doesn't work. I did a good amount of searching but could only find discussion on the SATA I/III thing and not much in the way of confirmed working drives.

lschultz777

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
I'm not looking for a fast and furious machine... she's old :( My kids hate non macs and wanted to salvage this for school research and writing papers... nothing extreme.

I think I'll go with a single 4gb stick and have 5 gb of mem.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
I would be cautious of putting an SSD in that machine. I recently upgraded a friend's MBPro of similar vintage (a 4,1) and had nothing but problems. I had a number of SSDs lying around (240gb from crucial, kingston, and seagate) - they all failed partway through the OS install. The only one that made it through was a 120gb Kingston V300. It mystifies me as to why that drive worked when the 240gb version of the same drive errors out. Note that all these drives work just fine in various other (newer) machines.

Part of the problem is the 2007 MacBook Pro only has SATAI, whereas current drives are SATAIII. Theoretically the drive will downstep to the SATAI speed (which will still be much faster than a platter HD) but for whatever reason it wasn't working for me. You might be better off if you can find and older SATAII drive, but those actually cost more since they are out of production.

I'm not saying you shouldn't try it, but I'd buy from a place you can easily return, or have another use in mind for the SSD if it doesn't work. I did a good amount of searching but could only find discussion on the SATA I/III thing and not much in the way of confirmed working drives.

You probably damaged the cable...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.