Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
Anyone else having this problem? I am using the web version of iCloud Photos to download photos I've taken on my iPhone in lieu of the "promised" Photos for Mac app. The problem is I have trouble keeping track of which photos I've downloaded. I wish, since Apple seems to be in no hurry coming out with the Photos app, they could at least have some indicator on the website of what the last photo downloaded is? As It is now, I have to look through my various photo folders on my Mac and find the last downloaded and then compare that picture to what is on the web. Anyone else have any better solutions to this problem?

impaler

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
USA
Seems like a real specialized request, not what most folks would care about, so doubt Apple would build it. Best chance of that happening would be to provide them feedback.

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
Anyone else having this problem? I am using the web version of iCloud Photos to download photos I've taken on my iPhone in lieu of the "promised" Photos for Mac app. The problem is I have trouble keeping track of which photos I've downloaded. I wish, since Apple seems to be in no hurry coming out with the Photos app, they could at least have some indicator on the website of what the last photo downloaded is? As It is now, I have to look through my various photo folders on my Mac and find the last downloaded and then compare that picture to what is on the web. Anyone else have any better solutions to this problem?

They will add more features in the future. On icloud beta website they recently added a zoom feature and email feature which is nice. There is other main issues they need to address first like downloaded pictures don't have GPS data and uploaded pictures add 8 hours to the time they were actually taken.

jg321

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2012
UK
Also, be aware, they are not always full resolution when downloaded from the web interface!

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
Also, be aware, they are not always full resolution when downloaded from the web interface!

Yea, I noticed that. The ultimate solution is to come out with the Mac Photos app; but according to some posts I've seen all mention of that app have been removed from the Apple website. So I'm not optimistic. Seems like to me this entire iCloud Photo Library is not well thought out and could be like a lot of other things that Apple does they don't do the proper follow through.

jg321

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2012
UK
Yea, I noticed that. The ultimate solution is to come out with the Mac Photos app; but according to some posts I've seen all mention of that app have been removed from the Apple website. So I'm not optimistic. Seems like to me this entire iCloud Photo Library is not well thought out and could be like a lot of other things that Apple does they don't do the proper follow through.

Ah yes, I saw this too. Looks a little more promising now though:

http://9to5mac.com/2015/01/27/photos-for-mac-removed-from-apple-website/

Disappointing that they're being so vague with this, leading to all this speculation.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
Well that's a little bit encouraging. I know using iCloud Photo Web is an exercise in frustration right now. I've spent the last 15 minutes trying to just download about 30 pictures with no luck at all. Unfortunately I have no way at all to get pictures off my iPhone to my Mac it seems. Thinking seriously about just wiping iCloud Photo Library (I know it's Beta) off my iPhone completely and just going back to DropBox to transfer my pictures to my Mac.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.