Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zedcars

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
Brighton, UK
Following Apple's record earnings call, the UK newspaper The Daily Mail published an article today posing the question: Is Apple an Evil Tax Avoider or a Force for Good?

Attempting to appear unbiased and fair (readers will know how rarely these words can be used in relation to the newspaper) they decided to give a for and against summary from two opposing views about the company. To me, it just reads like they hadn't got a clue what they were talking about. Even the Apple evangelist sounded laughably ignorant! I've attached photos of each for and against summary.

The "Why I love Apple" list:
Points 6, 9, and 10 are absolutely ridiculous - I'm actually embarrassed to be an Apple fan. Number 7 can be said about almost any smartphone these days so why did she include it?

The "Why I Hate Apple" list:
Points 1 is hardly representative of the majority of Apple fans. The criticism of points 2 and 3 can be levelled against many other tech companies. Point 4 is not factoring in the costs of excellent customer support and coding the software which is now free! It is also entirely up to Apple how much it charges. Point 6 is absurdly skewing the facts yet again. Batteries usually outlast the life of the phones these days and so why reduce the sturdiness and sleekness by designing an easily removable backplate?

I could go on...the writing is lazy beyond comprehension. These are paid journalists! The least they can do is actually do some research before they write this BS!

Online article here.

Attachments

• Love Apple.jpg
    Love Apple.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 114
  • Hate Apple.jpg
    Hate Apple.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 117
  • Is Apple Evil1.jpg
    Is Apple Evil1.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 98
  • Is Apple Evil2.jpg
    Is Apple Evil2.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
Hmmmm, all depends how you read it.
in terms of your calls outs, i regular see women using the phone for makeup purposes, so i can see where she's coming from.

Tax avoider, its true AUK only paid 1% on sales in the UK, and I'm sorry but by ANY measure thats just not acceptable or moral. I'm not a high court judge so i can say if it is or is not illegal, however the EU is investigating apple around tax issues.

In terms of free - nothing from apple is free, you've paid for it somewhere already and the products are struggling with quality for sure.

All in all, they are just opinions, some i agree with, others i don't.

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
UK
Meh.. I see valid points on both sides. And I've been using Apple products for over a decade.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
It's the Daily Mail, what can you expect?!

I did find a couple of points funny though, like hating that Apple has high gross margins. Surely they've just created a good business model?

Nalp2010

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2008
Brummer seemed to make much more worthwhile points than Vine.

It is somewhat depressing that Apple is the most profitable company in the world. I don't find their products compelling or irreplaceable, just overhyped, and overpriced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.