Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OCDMacGeek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
I am interested in using a note taking app to hand write notes (using a stylus) and record audio from meetings with my clients. I know there are dozens of apps that do this. However, many of them will only allow you to manually choose to upload a PDF to Dropbox, rather than doing it automatically. Even the ones that send a PDF to Dropbox automatically (like Notability) do not seem to send any audio recordings that are embedded to Dropbox automatically.

Is anyone aware of an app that does a good job sending both text and audio that you have recorded to Dropbox?

Cassady

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2012
Sqornshellous
I am interested in using a note taking app to hand write notes (using a stylus) and record audio from meetings with my clients. I know there are dozens of apps that do this. However, many of them will only allow you to manually choose to upload a PDF to Dropbox, rather than doing it automatically. Even the ones that send a PDF to Dropbox automatically (like Notability) do not seem to send any audio recordings that are embedded to Dropbox automatically.

Is anyone aware of an app that does a good job sending both text and audio that you have recorded to Dropbox?

Notability.

I've simply stored its back-up location to one of my Google Drive accounts, and it seems to do everything automagically, in the background. To be fair though, I haven't yet opened anything from the Google Drive account, but a quick perusal, saw the files being stored there. IIRC, should be able to do the same with Dropbox.

I have it on my Mac as well, so Google Drive really is a fail-safe backup, since everything comes through iCloud to my Mac in any event. You would also need to play around with how it works exactly. Again, IIRC, the audio files are separate from the PDF – but you have the option regarding how you want to store the files (i.e. in the Notability app's format; or as PDF and audio).

Notability by default indexes the audio with the note-taking part – which is pretty sweet. Inside the app, when you hit play on the audio, the handwriting/typed text of the note, is faded – but then lights up as the audio part catches up. You can therefore use the audio slider to FWD/RWD to the part of the notes, and hear what was being said at the time you wrote/typed the note. Note-taking bliss!

Hope this helps!

OCDMacGeek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
That is very helpful, thank you. Previously, I did not see the settings that would allow Notability to sync the audio and PDF together, automatically, to Dropbox.it does stink it automatically as a zip file, which works fine. Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.