Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C158

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2015
Hello,

I just bought a new Imac and after DL Steam I click into the program and I just get the spinning beach ball. When I go into the activity monitor it says the program is not responding.

I then deleted steam and re downloaded it 2 more times. It did it every time,

What can I do?

Thanks!

jamesjingyi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
UK
How long have you left it doing that? On first starting, Steam downloads about 100MB of files. Let it do that for like 5-10 mins and see if it starts

C158

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2015
Thank you for the response.

The 100mb file you are talking about installs fine. Then, when I click on the steam icon to go in it just opens then get the spinning ball and is unresponsive.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Steam sucks. I tried playing the Witcher Enhanced Edition. It seemed pretty good and I definitely made it through the first couple of hours of play. But then it started knocking out my keyboard. I had to quit and restart the iMac. After it did it a few times, I gave up. I don't want to actually fight with my program in order to play a video game.

Steam asks for accessibility access, but I've already given it that permission. But it still asks every time. I wish they would get it together. They have to recognize that Macs are becoming much more common as the home PC of choice, so they are going to become more common as gaming machines as well. Steam should get its stuff to work on Macs.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Steam asks for accessibility access, but I've already given it that permission. But it still asks every time. I wish they would get it together. They have to recognize that Macs are becoming much more common as the home PC of choice, so they are going to become more common as gaming machines as well. Steam should get its stuff to work on Macs.

That bug was fixed a while ago.

Update your Steam to the latest client, then follow the steps outlined here to see if that fixes it once and for all.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Steam sucks. I tried playing the Witcher Enhanced Edition. It seemed pretty good and I definitely made it through the first couple of hours of play. But then it started knocking out my keyboard. I had to quit and restart the iMac. After it did it a few times, I gave up. I don't want to actually fight with my program in order to play a video game.

TW: EE is a bad wine-wrapped port, unfortunately. You can try downloading the GOG version using your CD key, some people have had luck with that. Or try the fix in this thread: http://steamcommunity.com/app/20900/discussions/0/648814844541221355/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.