Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which device are you going to move on to, after you part ways with your iPod Touch?

• Total voters

DFZD

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
I think with no rumours around, it's safe to say that the iPod is going to end soon, with no new models in foreseeable future.

With that fact so well established, I would like to discuss and also would like to know where the iPod crowd is going to move ahead to.

The 3 obvious choices are

1. iPhone 5c (& The 'C' line in particular)
2. iPad Mini (& Maybe a iPad Nano (6") in future)
3. Cheap $100 Android Device with MicroSD Storage

I've made the switch to the 5c, I think if there was a iPod Touch 6th gen it would have the same specs as 5c. Also I got it slightly cheaper than the price I bought the iPod Touch 5th gen for. Around $20 less, which is a great deal. I think 5c is more of a product in the sense that it offers a lot more, and we could use it like a Cellular iPod, the same way we use iPad.

Last edited:

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
"Move on" to the 5C? 5C is dead.

Odd poll choices. I'm going to rock my classics til they die, and then just give in to whatever flavor iPhone there is at the time.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
Bizarre poll choices - don't really understand them. Why a cheap android?

Anyway, I moved on to an Xperia Z3 Compact.

DFZD

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
"Move on" to the 5C? 5C is dead.

Odd poll choices. I'm going to rock my classics til they die, and then just give in to whatever flavor iPhone there is at the time.

By 5c I meant the C line. If apple did release the iPod VI, what specs were you really expecting if not the one from 5c?

Bizarre poll choices - don't really understand them. Why a cheap android?

Anyway, I moved on to an Xperia Z3 Compact.

Cheap android, because iPod doesn't do cellular, were you using it as your primary mobile device earlier? Z3 compact has the same size as iPhone 6, and almost the same price. Your reasoning is what I find bizarre.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
By 5c I meant the C line. If apple did release the iPod VI, what specs were you really expecting if not the one from 5c?

Cheap android, because iPod doesn't do cellular, were you using it as your primary mobile device earlier? Z3 compact has the same size as iPhone 6, and almost the same price. Your reasoning is what I find bizarre.

A cheap android does cellular - why buy a cheap one if you can have a decent one? Presumably most people would want just one device as a main phone. Cheap androids, even cheap Sonys, aren't worth the hassle.

My Z3C cost £335 versus £579 for an iPhone I didn't want another iPhone because of the 1Gb RAM.

And why list the 5C - people still buy those?

Last edited:

DFZD

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
A cheap android does cellular - why buy a cheap one if you can have a decent one? Presumably most people would want just one device as a main phone.

And why list the 5C - people still buy those?
Yes, outside US, people do buy it. It has the same price point as the iPod Touch 32GB - ~#350

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I think with no rumours around, it's safe to say that the iPod is going to end soon, with no new models in foreseeable future.

With that fact so well established, I would like to discuss and also would like to know where the iPod crowd is going to move ahead to.

The 3 obvious choices are

1. iPhone 5c (& The 'C' line in particular)
2. iPad Mini (& Maybe a iPad Nano (6") in future)
3. Cheap $100 Android Device with MicroSD Storage

I've made the switch to the 5c, I think if there was a iPod Touch 6th gen it would have the same specs as 5c. Also I got it slightly cheaper than the price I bought the iPod Touch 5th gen for. Around $20 less, which is a great deal. I think 5c is more of a product in the sense that it offers a lot more, and we could use it like a Cellular iPod, the same way we use iPad.

I suppose you can sell your 5C when the Touch 6 comes out this late spring / early summer :p.

The 5C is actually a terrible choice for a Touch 5 replacement. You at least want to get a device with an A7 to run IOS 9.

DFZD

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
I suppose you can sell your 5C when the Touch 6 comes out this late spring / early summer :p.

The 5C is actually a terrible choice for a Touch 5 replacement. You at least want to get a device with an A7 to run IOS 9.

Firstly no rumour yet that the iPod 6 is coming, secondly, 5c is getting the iOS 9 and 10, and so is iPhone 5. As a matter of fact all 1Gig RAM devices will get the iOS9.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
My watch has actually replaced an iPod for tunes - only 4GB, but it has GPS which I use and I don't have to be near a computer to switch the music out. For anything else, I've got my mobile.

2015%2B-%2B1

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I have a feeling that it's going to be another 10 years before this becomes an issue for me. I'll gladly pay the money to Apple to replace the battery instead of looking at a new device. Because in the end, it's going to be a better deal.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
My current smartphone (Sharp Aquos Crystal) will eventually replace my iPod Touch. The bezel-less screen and quality of audio playback make it a natural replacement. It is already a superior video and music player.

I've converted Android smartphones into portable media players in the past and have been extremely impressed with the battery life once the phone bits have been frozen/removed.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I don't know why everyone thinks that the Touch is dying.

It's a great gateway device for the kiddies when their parents don't want to spring for an iPhone, as well as the perfect device for the world traveler that doesn't want to drain their iPhone, and doesn't like the charging options (if any) in 'the friendly skies'.

If the air transport companies (you do feel like cattle after all) actually provided enough juice to charge and use an iPhone, or iPad at the same time, the Touch is going bye bye, but since so many planes either don't have any power options at all, or are weak, and 'unusable', I'll keep my Touch. (I feel like that wretched ad by Heston 'From my cold hands')

I still see potential with the Touch. If anything, I see the Classic dead (which it is) and the Nano and Shuffle merging. (OR, a 'Classic-esque' flash based unit. When you think about it, it kinda makes sense)

I foresee the lineup being the Nano, and the Touch. I don't see ever owning a shuffle. I have several incarnations of them, and don't use them except for the 'Stick' Shuffle, and totally because there aren't any controls on it to get accidentally bumped.

On the Mini option. It comes down to size. I usually fly through a 'regional airport' which means fling on the highly contagious and incredibly delay prone 'regional jets'. I have to fit a lot into my carry-on, and still have it fit in the 'bin', or under the 'seat', or risk having it 'gate molested' by the plane Nazi's*.

That's no small feat when you consider there is an iPad 4, chargers, toiletries, sunglasses, Bose headphones, a book or two, magazines, snack bars/munchies, keys, cables, watch, ear buds, etc. It's nice to have something small to tuck into a shirt pocket to blast out tunes and not be a 'thing' that slides around, or gets put in the seat back 'pocket' and smeared with who knows what. (See contagious)

But anyway...

Sorry for the length. I'm snowed in, and caffeinated... :eek:

* Had one particular nasty/swarthy gate Nazi tell me 'Have to check that bag'. I said that it had my computer and some other expensive stuff in it, and they responded 'Have to check that bag. Take out your computer, and whatever else is expensive or fragile'. I ended up with a small pile of 'stuff' and my bag. Another one came by and said 'What are you doing', and I said ' That said that I had to check it and remove stuff from it'. In full earshot of the thing that was demanding a yard sale at the gate: 'No you don't. They are just being an *******. There's plenty of room on that flight'. And I thought: 'Moo'...

Last edited:

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

It's a great gateway device for the kiddies when their parents don't want to spring for an iPhone, as well as the perfect device for the world traveler that doesn't want to drain their iPhone, and doesn't like the charging options (if any) in 'the friendly skies'.
The iPod Touch as a gateway device may have been true a few years ago, but it has been replaced by older iPhones and the iPad mini as gateway devices. Sales figures don't lie. iPod Touch sales are down, way down.

Contrast this consistent reduction in iPod Touch sales with monstrous growth in iPhone 6 sales, it is painfully obvious that the Touch is dying.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
My current smartphone (Sharp Aquos Crystal) will eventually replace my iPod Touch. The bezel-less screen and quality of audio playback make it a natural replacement. It is already a superior video and music player.

I've converted Android smartphones into portable media players in the past and have been extremely impressed with the battery life once the phone bits have been frozen/removed.

I've seen that phone model on threads and reviews..looks really neat for the price.

Sadly it hasn't ever been released in the UK or I might have been tempted.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
The iPod Touch as a gateway device may have been true a few years ago, but it has been replaced by older iPhones and the iPad mini as gateway devices. Sales figures don't lie. iPod Touch sales are down, way down.

Contrast this consistent reduction in iPod Touch sales with monstrous growth in iPhone 6 sales, it is painfully obvious that the Touch is dying.

Then is it not true any longer that an iPhone needs a SIM and to be authorized in order to be usable?

My understanding was that an iPhone had to be 'usable' to be a Touch analogue...

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Then is it not true any longer that an iPhone needs a SIM and to be authorized in order to be usable?

My understanding was that an iPhone had to be 'usable' to be a Touch analogue...
Not all iPhones have SIM cards. I have 2 iPhone 4's that I use as iPod Touches.

I have a CDMA iPhone w/bad ESN.
I have an AT&T GSM iPhone w/o SIM.

Neither one is functioning as a phone.

IIRC, the only time a SIM card is required is for the initial setup of the phone. (for hand-me-down iPhones, that won't be an issue)

Outrun1986

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
A SIM card is required for initial phone setup or you will not even be able to put music or anything on an iPhone without cell service. If it's a hand me down phone you are right it does not have that issue since the SIM card most likely will already be in the phone and you could simply ask the carrier for a new one when upgrading. You can also buy one of these sim's on eBay for $1-3 dollars. I only have experience with one android phone but it started up and works without a problem without a SIM card in it. If you buy a used iPhone you can often get one with a sim still inside as well.

Some of these android phones are as low cost as $10 if you can find them at a store on sale and make great cheap MP3 players etc... If you just want something to throw around and not worry about. I also use these phones to run specific apps so I can run more than one all at once simultaneously.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth

I'd have to agree with other posters saying no1's really interested in the IpT5 because as of roughly last year, it's outdated enough to not be worth it anymore. An apples to apples comparison would be to compare an actual IpT6 (assuming it's up to snuff) to the Iph6/+

If the air transport companies (you do feel like cattle after all) actually provided enough juice to charge and use an iPhone, or iPad at the same time, the Touch is going bye bye, but since so many planes either don't have any power options at all, or are weak, and 'unusable', I'll keep my Touch. (I feel like that wretched ad by Heston 'From my cold hands')

I agree with this. However, Apple may not, which is what many of us are concerned about.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Oh, as to the thread question...
Iph5C... if I can get it for quite cheap (cheaper than what a replacement IpT5 would cost), then this. Also, if I'm eventually forced to go to ios9 (or perhaps even ios8), where the games I'll want to play can't be updated without a version of ios that my IpT5 won't support (or support well as may be the case with that and ios8). If it becomes too much hassle, I may just give up on iOS cold turkey, or just stick with older versions of games.

Otherwise, I may consider getting another IpT5 if it croaks (ie, can't hold a charge any longer). However, this is less likely as well since my main interest in a "supposed" IpT6 was a 4.7" or 5.5" screen.

iPad Mini... too big to fit in my front pocket. My IpT5 goes everywhere with me because of that convenience and portability.

Cheap Android Device with MicroSD Storage.... I have a Samsung Galaxy s4. It's already superior to this option.

Others (MP4 players, iPod Nano etc)... here's where there's a divergence of function that I'm hoping those responding to the poll would care to share... just what they use their replacement for. For me, I have an 80GB Ipod Classic. That's what I use for music. More capacity, and the scroll wheel offers tactic feedback. My IpT5 is for games and apps. Rather difficult to get an Apple device that does every well anyways. The Ipod Classic has the advantage that it'll continue working for another 2 to 5 years, without Apple "forcing me" to buy a new device.

noodles5666

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
I went back to the iPod Mini 2G and an iPod Classic 7.5G. Upgraded the HDD to 256GB and 512GB SDXC respectively. I just need a straight-forward MP3 player. I will use these until the batteries are no more. And then I will find replacement batteries when they die. Should be able to get ~5 years out of them.

jace88

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney, Australia
I moved to my old iPhone 5s. I liked the iPod touch because it was thin and it was an independent non main device making battery consumption not a risk to my cellular connectivity. Whilst the 5s is not as thin as my 6, I carry it around with me usually but barely use it since it my second work phone (I am on secondment and thus have two work phones now).

DFZD

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
Oh, as to the thread question...
Iph5C... if I can get it for quite cheap (cheaper than what a replacement IpT5 would cost), then this.

That's the same reason I moved to 5c, otherwise I was going to wait for a deal on 5s. I actually got the 5c for a lesser price than I paid for the iPod Touch 5 in late 2013. It has the specs that we were expecting in iPT6 in September last year, minus the 4.7 inch screen, but to honest, I think 4" makes it more portable and more of Mp3 player.
It's slightly heavy, but around the same weight of iPT5 with a decent back case.

vormhat

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2013
Fiio X series. Dedicated audio players with very well designed dac sections (and amps in the higher models).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.