Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

campingsk8er

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
Elizabethtown, PA
Am I the only one that realises that Steve Jobs announced the Original iPad 5 Years ago today? I still remember that day very distinctly and how excited I was the next day to tell my friends about it at school (I was in 11th grade). They all said that it would never take off, that it's just a giant iPod touch, and that it's stupid. Well five years later, and we have had 9 different iPads in total, so I think it's safe to say that it's been successful. Happy Birthday iPad!

ptdebate

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2014
Dallas, Texas
I remember distinctly the way people scoffed at the iPad 1. There was something or other about its lack of multitasking. Was that actually true? I have an original iPad running the latest supported OS and it multitasks acceptably well.

Believe it or not, I can actually browse the web just fine on my launch iPad using Opera. It also runs plenty of games (as long as they're supported on iOS 5)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I didn't realize it was 5 years ago.

While its been a success by apple, sales of iPads have indeed flattened out, so they're not generating the same level of excitement and sales as the iPhone.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
That was a big day! I was very excited. Of course, I still have my launch day iPad too.

It is interesting that the iPad doesn't keep growing its sales. Myself, I hadn't gotten a new iPad since Spring 2012 before last week.

I believe it's expensive for something we use less than our phones and computers. The current product is extremely good, and I bet Apple has something up their sleeves in the not too distant future to spark some new interest.

Once you have one, you really like it. It depends on if you have Apps you love too. If you're only using it for email and some web browsing, there isn't much of a point. If you have a favorite creation app, productivity app, or game on iPad that is only on iPad, you're more likely to want to pick it up.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
That was a big day! I was very excited. Of course, I still have my launch day iPad too.

It is interesting that the iPad doesn't keep growing its sales. Myself, I hadn't gotten a new iPad since Spring 2012 before last week.

I believe it's expensive for something we use less than our phones and computers. The current product is extremely good, and I bet Apple has something up their sleeves in the not too distant future to spark some new interest.

Once you have one, you really like it. It depends on if you have Apps you love too. If you're only using it for email and some web browsing, there isn't much of a point. If you have a favorite creation app, productivity app, or game on iPad that is only on iPad, you're more likely to want to pick it up.

I missed that launch, but saw Steve introduce the iPad 2. Which I promptly purchased.

I use my cellular iPad 2 constantly. I haven't purchased a new one because what I have is so darn good and works so well, I really can't justify dropping another $700-$800 just to update it.

And no, it's not running iOS 8.

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
I thought the iPad was a joke when it first came out. I said what's the point I have a smart phone. Then the second one came out and my dad got one for my mother for Christmas. He had me set it up and I thought it was a cool device. When the third iPad came out I decided I would try it out. I have been hooked ever since. I have had the iPad 3, mini, rmini and now the air 2. I use my iPad more then my phone. It's a great entertanment and media device! I think the reason sales are down is that most people do not upgrade iPads much. My mother still loves her iPad 2. One of my friends says his iPad 3 runs great and doesn't have a need to upgrade anytime soon. Another one of my friends just upgraded from the 3 to the air 2. Would most people notice much of a differences between the 2, 3, mini, rmini and the air 2. I don't think so. Then there's the people like my wife. She loves doing everything on her iPhone and does not want an iPad.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
The iPad is great, but the upgrades have been pretty bland so far. If you consider how much the iPhone has transformed from the 3GS,4,4S,5,5S and you compare that to the evolution of the iPad... it's not hard to see why people don't want to upgrade.

I upgrade my iPad every single time, 1,2,3,4,Air,Air 2, and even I feel it's been kind of boring compared to how much the iPhone has changed. I'm hoping they'll have something more radical planned for the iPad soon.

Joe Rossignol

Senior Reporter
Staff member
May 12, 2012
Canada

I think the lack of subsidized pricing makes the iPad a more expensive buy than purchasing an iPhone for $199 and essentially financing it through your expensive carrier contract. You also don't carry your iPad in your pocket with you everywhere you go. Plus, incremental upgrades. Those three reasons at least contribute to why iPad sales have flatlined in my mind.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area

While its been a success by apple, sales of iPads have indeed flattened out, so they're not generating the same level of excitement and sales as the iPhone.

The iPhone, or cell phones in general are now viewed as a necessity. Apple has made the best cell phone and thus its popularity and success. iPads are viewed as a luxury my many. Many cell phone users don't view iPads as a thing that they need.
I think the success of the ipad will continue, but not on the level of the iPhone because it is a different segment of the population that wants/needs them.
I for one will continue to 'need' an iPad and will keep them in business. :)

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
A lot laughed at the name too, thinking it sounded like a tampon. Quite glad they did go with the name iPad in the end, as the talk of iSlate at the time did seem more appealing.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
I thought the idea was silly at the time. It seemed to be just a giant phone that you couldn't make calls on or a wimpy spec laptop that didn't have a keyboard or a mouse. How useless?

The rest as they say is history..... I LOVE my iPad and will always have one. :D

Nausicaa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Am I the only one that realises that Steve Jobs announced the Original iPad 5 Years ago today? I still remember that day very distinctly and how excited I was the next day to tell my friends about it at school (I was in 11th grade). They all said that it would never take off, that it's just a giant iPod touch, and that it's stupid. Well five years later, and we have had 9 different iPads in total, so I think it's safe to say that it's been successful. Happy Birthday iPad!

Yes, I remember it fondly, almost as fondly as the iPhone keynote in 2007. The iPhone keynote is THE high water mark for Apple IMO. I was a junior in college at the time, and always had an interest in PDAs and such, having always dreamed of something like the iPhone. In practice they all kind of sucked. The second the iPhone keynote was over I knew it was the future.

So when the iPad was rumored, I was super excited, because the touch screen really was the game changer on the iPhone, and the potential of a large format touch screen was so obvious to me. I have to admit when it was announced I was shocked by the reactions. "iPad?! Like MAXIPAD?! LOL!!!". So stupid. I bought the 3G iPad on day 1 and it was as good as I expected it to be. The apps being developed were outstanding and the potential of a large format touch screen was being realized. Simply browsing the web with your hands on a 10" display was mindblowing. I still can't believe so many people couldn't see how obviously successful it would be. Now literally everything is getting a touch screen. Laptops, desktops, every tablet and phone. Even the name, "iPad"; no one is laughing anymore, and it is synonymous with tablet devices.

That said, I think both markets (phones especially) have matured and are in dire need of some innovation. I think the Surface Pro does a lot right and I'd like to see more tablets go in that direction. Hopefully the iPad Pro delivers.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Tbh, I was one of those that didn't think there was much of a market.

I was wrong, and I see the value tablets now :)

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Tbh, I was one of those that didn't think there was much of a market.

I was wrong, and I see the value tablets now :)

Same, and at the beginning I was right to think so. Most websites hadn't transitioned to HTML5 or something that wouldn't require Java and there was a limit on what all one could do. The App Store IMO had a major effect on iPad growth, which ultimately led to many companies creating websites that would work on the tablet and apps that would engage the user in far better manners.

Billy95Tech

Suspended
Apr 18, 2014
Yes, I remember it fondly, almost as fondly as the iPhone keynote in 2007. The iPhone keynote is THE high water mark for Apple IMO. I was a junior in college at the time, and always had an interest in PDAs and such, having always dreamed of something like the iPhone. In practice they all kind of sucked. The second the iPhone keynote was over I knew it was the future.

So when the iPad was rumored, I was super excited, because the touch screen really was the game changer on the iPhone, and the potential of a large format touch screen was so obvious to me. I have to admit when it was announced I was shocked by the reactions. "iPad?! Like MAXIPAD?! LOL!!!". So stupid. I bought the 3G iPad on day 1 and it was as good as I expected it to be. The apps being developed were outstanding and the potential of a large format touch screen was being realized. Simply browsing the web with your hands on a 10" display was mindblowing. I still can't believe so many people couldn't see how obviously successful it would be. Now literally everything is getting a touch screen. Laptops, desktops, every tablet and phone. Even the name, "iPad"; no one is laughing anymore, and it is synonymous with tablet devices.

That said, I think both markets (phones especially) have matured and are in dire need of some innovation. I think the Surface Pro does a lot right and I'd like to see more tablets go in that direction. Hopefully the iPad Pro delivers.

I agree but i really hope they will still be ipads with IOS and Android tablets in the future because tablets with mobile OS are dead simple and is great for casuel use like browsing the web, watching videos, playing games and lots more.

Not everyone wants a tablet with a Desktop OS(Windows 8/ OSX).

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I missed that launch, but saw Steve introduce the iPad 2. Which I promptly purchased.

I use my cellular iPad 2 constantly. I haven't purchased a new one because what I have is so darn good and works so well, I really can't justify dropping another $700-$800 just to update it.

And no, it's not running iOS 8.

This is why iPad sales are flattening - coupled with the fact that the overall tablet market has declined.

People are just hanging on to their iPads for a while - some like this poster for years.

Smartphones are replaceable annually or at least every 2 years. iPads are not.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
This is why iPad sales are flattening - coupled with the fact that the overall tablet market has declined.

People are just hanging on to their iPads for a while - some like this poster for years.

Smartphones are replaceable annually or at least every 2 years. iPads are not.

Yup, although I'll admit I'm considering buying a cellular mini because it's more portable than my iPad 2.

I also have an iPod Touch 5. Handy for some things, but I prefer a larger screen.

lovmyipad

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2013
I remember also

I was looking to purchase a laptop when the first keynote announced the iPad. I really wanted one, but I wanted one with a camera. Started saving my money and watching MacRumors to see when a camera model would be available. IPad 2 was announced and I was standing in line to get one. Used it daily until recently when the Air 2 was announced and Best Buy would give me $200 for my iPad 2. I intend to get 4 or 5 years out of this one also.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Yup, although I'll admit I'm considering buying a cellular mini because it's more portable than my iPad 2.

I also have an iPod Touch 5. Handy for some things, but I prefer a larger screen.

I'm an "upgrade everything every year" kind of guy and even I'm planning to hold on to my iPad Air 2 for the forseeable future.

I have very little interest in any iPads coming out in 2015. Mainly because the place where I see the most improvement over the next few years is in software.

As it is, the Air 2 is the most powerful mobile device out there (smartphone/phablet/tablet).

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I'm an "upgrade everything every year" kind of guy and even I'm planning to hold on to my iPad Air 2 for the forseeable future.

I have very little interest in any iPads coming out in 2015. Mainly because the place where I see the most improvement over the next few years is in software.

As it is, the Air 2 is the most powerful mobile device out there (smartphone/phablet/tablet).

Same here, but... The iPad mini 4 needs to catch up to the Air 2 specs, then I will be in your camp. I'm hoping that happens for me :)

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA

I have said it before, iPads especially the iPad 2 (4years old now) are built like tanks, no one is replacing them every year like a smart phone. I didn't even ponder buying an air 2 when my air is still fully adequate. I could be wrong but it's one of my theories why tablet more importantly iPad sales have stalled.

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
I remember back then not being able to come up with a use case scenario for myself using the iPad very much. And someone at work got one as a gift and didn't end up using it at first. I think the main reason was that I was still using a desktop iMac at home when I was at home, and the iPhone when I was out. But then things changed, iCloud became more of a real backup option, and I found myself not sitting at the desk anymore, only occasionally standing over it to look something up.

So then the transition to just using an iPad at home and not using the desktop very much became more of a use case. It was a gradual transition, where I realized the iPad made more sense as the daily general use computer, and the desktop is relegated to more intensive tasks. I think this happened for a lot of people.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I loved the idea of the iPad when it came out and ordered one before launch day and actually had it delivered, my iPad1 a day before the official UK Launch day.

And I still have it, to this very day.

I'm waiting for Apple to actually upgrade the iPad in some meaningful way so I can sell my current iPad1 and get a new one.

For me, it's not really been improved and has the same annoying limitations since the day I bought it.

Hopefully I won't have to wait much longer for Apple to make some improvements as its looking like the iPad Pro may actually be the 1st worthwhile change in 5 years that I've been waiting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.