Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Udo Jurgens: 1934-2014.

I am sorry that I failed to spot this when it happened - it wasn't reported in the British news, and so - mea culpa - I missed it until tonight, when I googled him checking out a detail or two.

Udo Jurgens died 21 December 2014.

Outside of the German speaking countries of Europe (where he was hugely popular), this was a death which passed without much notice.

This was a man who came from Austria (he represented the country three times at the Eurovision Song Contest, winning in 1966 with a song - 'Merci Chérie' - that subsequently became hugely popular), had a banker grandfather who had fled Russia after the 1917 Revolution, was seen as someone who articulated German post war dreams and delusions, and ended up living in Switzerland.

There is a certain type of melancholic, bitter-sweet, European style music which I rather like (this is a sort of music that may not find much favour in the US, where unbridled optimism is much preferred - that is not so much a criticism, as merely an observation), that Udo Jurgens exemplified, and gave voice to.

Last year, in the company of a German colleague (who translated the lyrics for me), I heard his music for the first time. Listen to the song "Ich War Noch Einmals In New York" ('I Was Never In New York') and weep. Beautiful, and brilliant.

Last edited:

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
He used to be one of my favorite singers when I was young.
Udo Jürgens didn't seem to age and looked like 30 in his 60s. RIP Udo!

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
RIP.

I remember him from the Eurovision Song Festival, his Schlager music was popular for a long time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.