Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Musikal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2014
Hello,
I just purchased the Scansnap ix500 and have it set up. I own a business (offering educational services / art and music lessons) and I have literally boxes and boxes of paperwork- from old bank statements to business documents to lesson plans. My goal is to get them all organized on the computer so I can shred the files- or at least get the on the computer for later organizing.

What I want to do is put a stack of papers in the scanner, then be able to take the pdfs, rename them, and sort them into folders. I don't want to have to pre-sort the papers before scanning them or only scan a page at a time.

I can only find two options- the entire stack scanned being turned into one pdf file, or have each page be a separate file. If I tell it to scan each page, it does not keep front/back pages together, which seems absurd. If I ask for each page to be a separate file, it still just lets me give one file name to the entire batch- I can't rename each document as its own file name if I scan 15 documents at once or preview the documents before assigning file names.

It looks like the "Scansnap Organizer" does what I want, but it is not available for Mac - which was not at all clear on their documentation. I am not sure what is the best way to manipulate these pdf files.

I almost bought the Neat Receipts but was turned off by the bad reviews. The documentation on the Neat software looks like it does what I want, but I am hesitant to spend $80 on it without trying it since the reviews are not so good. It also looks like it automatically sorts statements well. Has anyone tried it?

I downloaded the trial of DevonThink Office Pro thinking if I scanned directly to it I may be able to sort - it still sends either one 40 page document or 40 o page documents with the same file name over there.

Any suggestions - been wrestling with this for about 6 hours now and very frustrated.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
The Unofficial Scansnap guide was a breakthrough for me when i got my iX500, and well worth $5. The official manual didn't do it for me.

You can set up several different profiles, e.g. I have

single sheet single sided
single sheet double sided
multi sheet double sided
multi sheet single sided

and there are options for naming methods.

I am not an expert but I don't think you will get round having to pre-sort your piles of paper into batches which fit each profile. Otherwise, if you put a pile of several multi sheet documents in the feeder, how can the software know when one document finishes and the next one starts?

I tried DevonThink Pro very seriously for six months and gave up on it, mainly because of its syncing limitations. It might make organising your scanned docs easier.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
I went through this for all my personal papers and there is no way to fully automate it. As mentioned, using different profiles can help with the different documents. Before starting you need to decide on your filing system. I based mine off David Spark's book, "Paperless". Since it's for personal stuff that only my wife and I use, it's just a simple folder based system.

When I'm scanning I name each set of documents using a <date> <description> name. The file all go into a "Action" folder. When I'm done or at a later date I move the documents from the action folder to their proper location. In addition I have an Action mailbox in my email where I move electronic receipts and such that need filing. I usually save them as PDFs in the proper folder.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
One option to do what you what you want, (not saying a better option, but might suit you), would be to scan your random piles of documents on a single sheet double sided profile into Devonthink.

Devonthink would then show you a long list of separate PDFs, one for each sheet. One of the joys of Devonthink is how easy it is to see what each doc is and to very easily merge PDFs, so you could quickly look at the long list and merge and rename as appropriate.

One of the settings you can incorpotate in a profile is to ignore blank pages, so if some of your random pile are single sided docs the plain back won't be scanned....alhough in my experience if there are some marks on the back it may get scanned, but easy enough to delete later.

As I said, Devonthink is great program, but clunky syncing between Macs, and between Macs and iOS devices killed it for me. If/when these get improved I may go back to it.

paulvr

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2014
Hello,
I just purchased the Scansnap ix500 and have it set up. I own a business (offering educational services / art and music lessons) and I have literally boxes and boxes of paperwork- from old bank statements to business documents to lesson plans. My goal is to get them all organized on the computer so I can shred the files- or at least get the on the computer for later organizing.

What I want to do is put a stack of papers in the scanner, then be able to take the pdfs, rename them, and sort them into folders. I don't want to have to pre-sort the papers before scanning them or only scan a page at a time.

I can only find two options- the entire stack scanned being turned into one pdf file, or have each page be a separate file. If I tell it to scan each page, it does not keep front/back pages together, which seems absurd. If I ask for each page to be a separate file, it still just lets me give one file name to the entire batch- I can't rename each document as its own file name if I scan 15 documents at once or preview the documents before assigning file names.

It looks like the "Scansnap Organizer" does what I want, but it is not available for Mac - which was not at all clear on their documentation. I am not sure what is the best way to manipulate these pdf files.

I almost bought the Neat Receipts but was turned off by the bad reviews. The documentation on the Neat software looks like it does what I want, but I am hesitant to spend $80 on it without trying it since the reviews are not so good. It also looks like it automatically sorts statements well. Has anyone tried it?

I downloaded the trial of DevonThink Office Pro thinking if I scanned directly to it I may be able to sort - it still sends either one 40 page document or 40 o page documents with the same file name over there.

Any suggestions - been wrestling with this for about 6 hours now and very frustrated.

Orbit Document Management Solution
(and we can host it for you anyware in the world)

• Web based
• Locally developed and supported with reference sites
• Remote as well as local scanning and indexing capabilities
• Allow for data capturing and validation of detailed information
• Add supporting documents to existing records
• Add text notes to records
• Open, structured information
• See and maintain indexed information
• Never delete a record
• Visual structure
• Multiple access from “anywhere”
• Controlled access to document records
• Full text search module available
• Support multiple storage formats
• E-mail, print, fax
• Easy to use, install, configure and maintain
• Strong import and export facility for volume processing and migration of existing data
• Can be deployed in the following environments:
o Intranet
o Internet
o Hosted
o Distributed
• Integration via web services
• Supports all twain compliant scanning devices
• Full audit trail

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Hello,

I do exactly that on a weekly basis. Rather then messing about with folder structures etc. I just use Mariner Paperless. Have been for years. Just pop the letters, receipts etc in and scan it in and then organise to finish it off. The more you do it the more the ocr works and does it automatically for you.

russellgray

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2015
I scan only a small amount of documents at a time using my scanner and I use Devonthink for that purpose. It does the job neatly. For bulk scanning, which is very common in my office, we use third party document scanning and management services like Ash Conversions International from Weston. So we don’t know about the hassles of that bulk scanning and organizing jobs. But with my experiences on a small amount of personal scanning, Devonthink is a good way to go.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
When I had a huge batch of papers to scan, I didn't pre-sort them... but I did load the ScanSnap with individual "jobs"... then pressed the scan button.

So sometimes a job was a single sheet of paper... other times it might be a 5 page bill or a 12 page banking statement.

What I ended up with a bunch of independent scans that had all the pages of that particular item.

I was scanning and my wife was shredding with a fairly good scanner (capacity about 5 pages at a time)... and she could not keep up with my scanning.

I use DevonThink Pro office... and after the OCR was done, I used the DTPO "magic hat" feature which was the most fun part of the process. As I started filing and creating nested folders, DTPO knew where to file them automatically. The more I used DPTO the better it got. Amazing.

/Jim

Basilfawltyone

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2013
Chicago, IL
I use Devonthink Pro Office as well.

Three reasons:

- I can save ALL types of files in one database
- Search is best on the market including sorting by its own Artificial Intelligance that proposes where to put new files
- Mobile- I can have a copy of my whole database on my iPhone and IPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.