Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ccsanford2016

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2015
Okay I just bought my project computer if you have seen my other post.

I'm am wanting to redo an entire computer for my final project in my computer science college class. I am in high school.

I bought a black mac 2007 got an awesome deal on it!

I am going to put a SSD hard drive in it. I already have that picked out.
PNY 240 gb SSD

I need help with:
RAM: I know it is ddr2 but not sure the next one etc.

Also, the battery. I found one on amazon for $25 it had a 3 year warranty.

Cosmetic equipment:
Case for it??
Keyboard cover? ?

Other things to get??

Thanks!!!

sgiera

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2014
There is the ram type.

667 MHz PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM

Maximum Ram is 4 Gbs.

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
Kingston is good.

Here's a few links to what I would put in there. I've had a few myself.

4GB OWC RAM. 6GB is supported, and I had it in mine, but it's much more expensive for a minimal gain.

OR Crucial RAM

Basically the same, Amazon ships faster if you have prime. Do check the taxes though. That can make OWC cheaper, or Amazon cheaper if there isn't any.

Crucial MX100 SSD. Pick your size, but 256 GB for $104.99 is a heck of a deal. 128 GB runs $62.99. These are very stable drives. I've installed over 40 of them in all capacities (I work in IT, fleet deployments plus personal work).

OPTIONAL

Arctic Silver V Thermal Compound. This isn't needed per se, but it can help. I went through my MacBook and replaced the fan first (rattled) and then did a clean up of the old thermal paste with 99% Isopropyl Alcohol to clean it off with a coffee filter and purify it. Then applied new thermal paste using the Surface Spread technique used on mobile Core 2 Duo CPUs. It dropped the temp a decent bit. Ran cooler and quieter.

Finally I also installed Mac OS X Snow Leopard on it along with Office 2011 and Adobe CS5 for all my work needs. Lion works, but it'll run hotter as it taxes the poor Intel GMA more than 10.6 does.

Oh, and I made the Apple logo red. But that's another story. But it is fun.

Full gallery here:

Almost forgot, the battery I put in was this one from OWC. It's not cheap, but it works very well. The eBay one it came with died randomly and didn't charge right. Also didn't fit and was glossy. Piece of junk it was. The NuPower one lasts around 4 hours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.