Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Can you get iTunes to recognize your iPhone in DFU mode since upgrading to 10.5.6?

• Yes, DFU mode still works as expected.

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • No, iTunes refuses to see my iPhone in DFU mode.

Votes: 13 72.2%

• Total voters

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
This thread is for Mac OS X Leopard users and iPhone owners.

Since you upgraded to 10.5.6, have you been able to put your iPhone into DFU mode and still have iTunes recognize it? I heard on TUAW today that DFU mode no longer works with 10.5.6, but since I've upgraded to 10.5.6, I've QuickPwned a first gen iPhone with DFU mode and an iPod touch in DFU mode.

So my answer is: Yes, DFU mode still works for me in 10.5.6. I have not tried the iPhone 3G yet. I'd like to get the communities findings on this one because I'm curious as to why DFU mode still works for me when TUAW says it won't.

Here's the article. Thank you.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
I figured out a fix! Don't plug it directly into the computer's USB port to put your iPhone into DFU. Plug it into a hub. I had mine plugged into my Apple Cinema Display... that's why it was able to work! Plug it into a Keyboard, a Display or a powered USB hub and it should go into DFU mode just fine. Sweet. Crisis averted!

jgunn

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2008
Please try with a hub/keyboard on 10.5.5 - I am very interested to see if that worls for you.

works for me through a hub. They have adjusted the firmware for the USB ports I believe. Sneaky apple.

ex8886

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2008
Hm... so is 10.5.6 really worth upgrading to? Since my PowerBook G4 works just fine on 10.5.5, and I want the ability to use DFU mode (don't have USB hub, and am not planning on buying one). So far I'm not seeing any advantages to upgrading . . . what do you guys think?

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
Why are people so unhappy with 10.5.6? DFU and random wifi problems? Anything else?
There was a solution to the DFU problem regarding the new Unibody Macbooks (Pros and Airs rev 2 as well), search it on this forum, it might work, I believe you have to modify a kext file or just look for one from older "outdated" macs.

hellomoto4

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Australia
Hm... so is 10.5.6 really worth upgrading to? Since my PowerBook G4 works just fine on 10.5.5, and I want the ability to use DFU mode (don't have USB hub, and am not planning on buying one). So far I'm not seeing any advantages to upgrading . . . what do you guys think?

Only if you think you really need to, you can always buy a hub for $3.50 on ebay

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
I figured out a fix! Don't plug it directly into the computer's USB port to put your iPhone into DFU. Plug it into a hub. I had mine plugged into my Apple Cinema Display... that's why it was able to work! Plug it into a Keyboard, a Display or a powered USB hub and it should go into DFU mode just fine. Sweet. Crisis averted!

That's not a fix, that's a work around. :)

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
From another thread:

I found a solution. It's not necessary to copy the whole IOUSBFamily.kext file. If you open the file, inside it are more kext files. You need to replace the following with a version from an old macbook:

/System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBHub.kext

and

/System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOUSBCompositeDriver.kext

Simply replacing them won't work. You have to copy the whole IOUSBFamily.kext folder to your desktop (for example), replace the above files(/folders) and then replace the whole folder in its original location like this:

open terminal, type
sudo -s
enter the password
then enter the following (replace "User" with your username):

rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext
mv /Users/User/Desktop/IOUSBFamily.kext /System/Library/Extensions
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext
rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Wait a few seconds for the Extensions file to rebuild itself and reboot the machine and you should be good to go.

My computer can now detect DFU and go to sleep normally :)

Ps. I'm still checking to see if this method can be further simplified and I will update accordingly.

I just did it... but, I'm not at home to check to see if it worked. (I did it over VNC)

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Does anyone get this dialog box when they enter DFU mode?

I connected my phone to my Apple USB keyboard and still iTunes doesn't seem to recognise the phone...it thinks its an iPod

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    24.2 KB · Views: 115

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Does anyone get this dialog box when they enter DFU mode?

I connected my phone to my Apple USB keyboard and still iTunes doesn't seem to recognise the phone...it thinks its an iPod

I don't think the Apple USB keyboard is going to give you enough power. You should connect it to a powered HUB or perform the mod I posted from someone else in another thread.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I don't think the Apple USB keyboard is going to give you enough power. You should connect it to a powered HUB or perform the mod I posted from someone else in another thread.

I'd follow it but i dont have another macbook to get the files from. Sigh...looks like a reinstall for me then

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
Tomatoes - Tuhmahtoes, the whole jailbreak thingy is a work-around; it fricken' works...:p

No it's not. It's a tool to circumvent Apple's way of doing things. :)

The USB hub "fix" is like having an oil leak in your car, adding more oil and saying that you "fixed it". :)

A fix for this would be so that I wouldn't need to carry a USB hub with me, I could still just use my normal USB ports.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.