Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cbdboz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2013
Just bought a highly recomended Samsung SE-506CB Blu Ray winter to go with my new Mac and help digitalise my movie collection.

Had completely forgotten about apples annoying "only 5 times" that you can change the DVDs region... And being stuck with the eventual 5th selection for eternity.

Is there any way around this?

If not, the as its a portable, I will choose UK for my I-Mac, and US for my Mac mini .... But would be so much easier without the restrictions.

aawil

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2008
I thought there was software out to get around this but it's been so long I don't know if it exists anymore. I'm actually curious as well because I wanted to buy a couple dvd's of british shows.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
You can find firmware to update older drives to remove the restrictions. Doesn't take too much searching.

However, there is always the chance you can brick the drive doing so.

Cbdboz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2013
Does it lock the external drive?

I am wondering if I interchange with my i-Mac and Mac mini, whether I can just use each for a different region when I plug in the drive?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Does it lock the external drive?

I am wondering if I interchange with my i-Mac and Mac mini, whether I can just use each for a different region when I plug in the drive?

No...
The region setting is set in the firmware of the DVD drive. If you change to Region 1 from your iMac, then move the drive to your mini, the drive is still set for region 1. Try to play a region 2 DVD, and you are required to change to region 2.
You can change the region setting a maximum of 5 times.
If you use the DVD player software, then that will require that the drive be set for the DVDs region. You should be able to use VLC to play your DVDs, without needing to change the region.
I think another option would be to purchase a second DVD drive, and only play DVDs from that region in the drive that is set for that.

Longkeg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2014
The Nation’s (US) Oldest City
Even before 2015 I was pretty much done with optical disks and dedicated players. Between HandBrake and MakeMKV my library had converted and moved to its new external HD home. In this age of digital downloads the idea of “regions” seems so last century.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.