Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
I have a 13" MacBook Pro (see specs). Like all (I assume), it dual thunderbolt ports and HDMI out.

Is it possible to screen span with two external monitors. If so, are there any requirements to how they must be connected- i.e. both thunderbolt, or 1 thunderbolt, 1 HDMI. I'm not going to be buying thunderbolt displays, so I'm not concerned with daisy chaining.

Thanks!

mwchris

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2008
Kentucky
I have a 13" MacBook Pro (see specs). Like all (I assume), it dual thunderbolt ports and HDMI out.

Is it possible to screen span with two external monitors. If so, are there any requirements to how they must be connected- i.e. both thunderbolt, or 1 thunderbolt, 1 HDMI. I'm not going to be buying thunderbolt displays, so I'm not concerned with daisy chaining.

Thanks!

Great question! I am responding because I am curious to the answer. I have the 15" rMBP and I have successfully run the regular screen and two devices via the Thunderbolt output. if I had a fourth screen to try I would have using the built in HDMI. All that said, my machine has the built in video card, so that might have something to do with it.

And, if it is anything like thunderbolt devices there is a hard limit. I just got the OWC Thunderbolt 2 dock and if you use the dock HDMI jack you can only attach another Thunderbolt display. You can't use thunderbolt adapters. Frustrating limitation, but I knew that going in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.