Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bromio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2014
Hi,

If I reset my iPad through the Settings option, what iOS version will I have at the end?

Suppose I keep iOS 8.1.3 when iOS 9 has already been released. If I reset the device, will I be forced to upgrade to iOS 9?

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Resetting your iPad through the settings menu has no effect on your iOS version. If you do a full erase the iPad will erase the data and restart with the same version of iOS it had prior to the reset.

Bromio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2014
Resetting your iPad through the settings menu has no effect on your iOS version. If you do a full erase the iPad will erase the data and restart with the same version of iOS it had prior to the reset.

Thank you.

That's just what I wanted to know.

If I do it through iTunes, does the same happen?

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Thank you.

That's just what I wanted to know.

If I do it through iTunes, does the same happen?

It you do a reset plugged into iTunes and then request a restore, you'll get the latest available version of iOS via iTunes. If you are already current then it will just tell you. If you are a version down it will begin to download the latest version of iOS and install it.

If you are going to do a reset, do it away from iTunes.

Bromio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2014
It you do a reset plugged into iTunes and then request a restore, you'll get the latest available version of iOS via iTunes. If you are already current then it will just tell you. If you are a version down it will begin to download the latest version of iOS and install it.

If you are going to do a reset, do it away from iTunes.

OK.

So restoring through Settings menu, without iTunes, is the way to follow to keep an old iOS version. Right?

Thanks.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
OK.

So restoring through Settings menu, without iTunes, is the way to follow to keep an old iOS version. Right?

Thanks.

Correct and if you are going to charge your iPad, make sure wifi and data are turned off. If they are left on that's when you'll get the latest iOS update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.