Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nethfel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
Hi all,

With my nMP, I got the lovely older drivers for the D700's. I went and downloaded a more recent set from AMD (14.301.1001 which is 14.9) - my system still shows Fire Pro control and in the device manager it lists my cards as D700's.

I've read on the net where people have actually gotten CCC installed and their cards were recognized as 7900 series cards (including a thread here talking about swapping out two files from a beta install to use the Omega drivers.

So - questions:
will it improve the performance significantly enough to warrant going through the trouble?
Has anyone had any issues using these drivers (crashes, hardware damage, etc.)?
Is the method referred to https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/20459598/ the way to go?

Basically, I have just received my nMP and there are some games I want to play during my down time and I want the best experience I can squeeze out of it (and no, I'm not going to build a dedicated gaming machine right now - I just don't have the space available). The games I normally play while in Windows include COD:AW, COD BO2, BF4, Wild*, Alien Insurrection, etc. so will this help and not hurt me basically? I'm using a Thunderbolt display so, 1440p resolution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.