Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calle168

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2015
Stockholm
First time posting, but I've been reading the forum for a while so I'm not completely new. However, I got a strange problem with my iPhone 5.

Problem: Loud speaker doesn't work. When I start an app that uses the loud speaker (eg. Youtube), the iPhone freezes (the video won't start). Then I can push the home button to unfreeze it, but it's still a bit slow. There's no sound when I play any ringtones either (or when someone calls). When I plug in the EarPods, everything works lik a charm (even youtube etc.) and all other functions except the loud speaker work as it should.

What I've tried: Updated to 8.1.3. Completely wiped the phone. Changed the loud speaker unit. Changed the front panel. Changed the "Headphone Audio Charger Port Flex Cable".

I'm out of ideas. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
First time posting, but I've been reading the forum for a while so I'm not completely new. However, I got a strange problem with my iPhone 5.

Problem: Loud speaker doesn't work. When I start an app that uses the loud speaker (eg. Youtube), the iPhone freezes (the video won't start). Then I can push the home button to unfreeze it, but it's still a bit slow. There's no sound when I play any ringtones either (or when someone calls). When I plug in the EarPods, everything works lik a charm (even youtube etc.) and all other functions except the loud speaker work as it should.

What I've tried: Updated to 8.1.3. Completely wiped the phone. Changed the loud speaker unit. Changed the front panel. Changed the "Headphone Audio Charger Port Flex Cable".

I'm out of ideas. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Is the mute switch on on the side of the phone?

XT550

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2014
There is a test to see what is the problem.
On the home screen press volume up or down
If you see "ringer" word on screen the problem is speaker if you dont see "ringer" the problem is charging port assembly.

calle168

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2015
Stockholm
Is the mute switch on on the side of the phone?
No, that's the first thing you check.

There is a test to see what is the problem.
On the home screen press volume up or down
If you see "ringer" word on screen the problem is speaker if you dont see "ringer" the problem is charging port assembly.
Just did the test. When you don't have the "Change with buttons" i Sound Settings checked, I see "Volume" when I push the vol up/down. When I got the "Change with buttons" checked, i get "Ringtone" when I push vol up/down.
Conclusion: It behaves exactly like my functional iPhone 5S.

Any other ideas?

XT550

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2014
When you did the test was there a volume indication under the images?
Because if it weren't then it's your charging port.
It can happen if it was recently plugged in a third party dock.
Replug the iPhone to the dock and then remove it again. Sometimes, it’s just a software pass-out and reconnecting the iPhone to the dock triggers the software again.
And if that doesn't help I suggest you do a DFU restore as a last resort before replacing the charging port assembly.

calle168

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2015
Stockholm
When you did the test was there a volume indication under the images?
Because if it weren't then it's your charging port.
It can happen if it was recently plugged in a third party dock.
Replug the iPhone to the dock and then remove it again. Sometimes, it’s just a software pass-out and reconnecting the iPhone to the dock triggers the software again.
And if that doesn't help I suggest you do a DFU restore as a last resort before replacing the charging port assembly.
You mean the bar under the sound symbol? I took I print screen to be sure.
Untitled.png

I'll try a DFU restore tonight. I've already tried replacing the charging port assembly, so it shouldn't be the problem.

XT550

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2014
Yup that's wha I meant.

Doesn't look like the charging port is the culprit here.
Ok then, go for the restore and keep us posted. Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.