Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gpspad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2014
So I got the Crutial SSD Drive, an external usb enclosure, and a copy of the carbon copy cloner program.

I want to have the SSD drive cloned and ready to go when I open the mini and put it into the old hard drives bay.

I am kind of lost about how to clone the disk. I cloned my disk with CCC, and booted up holding the option key, but now have a list of a bunch of different drives and not sure if I cloned the drive correctly.

Shouldn't the new drive just boot up from the disk, not go into rescue mode?

marclondon

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2009
London
I would do a clean install of Yosemite on the SSD. Put it in your Mini and build your system up from there with your apps etc.

M.

donlab

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2004
USA
So I got the Crutial SSD Drive, an external usb enclosure, and a copy of the carbon copy cloner program.

I want to have the SSD drive cloned and ready to go when I open the mini and put it into the old hard drives bay.

I am kind of lost about how to clone the disk. I cloned my disk with CCC, and booted up holding the option key, but now have a list of a bunch of different drives and not sure if I cloned the drive correctly.

Shouldn't the new drive just boot up from the disk, not go into rescue mode?

sounds like you did it right, you should be seeing 4 drives. a recovery and primary partition from each drive. the icon gives away the drive connection. choose the primary partition from the USB attached drive.

gpspad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2014
Just figured it out; once you have cloned the disk with Yosemite, you have to add a clone of the recovery disk. You can't get that option until you first clone the disk.

Next step; Im going in for the surgery, the tough part....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.