Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Legion103

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Says I don't have enough storage space...how do I remove stuff from my start up disc?

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
well just delete apps, but first go to the apple menu on the top left and then go about this mac and look for storage and see whats using your memory

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Says I don't have enough storage space...how do I remove stuff from my start up disc?

First download a program called Disk Inventory X and run it on your drive. That will give you a good idea of what's taking up your storage and you can proceed from there by deleting the files yourself, or moving them to an external drive, or asking more specific questions in this forum.

Don't just start deleting apps as the other poster suggested. The chances you will recover a meaningful amount of space from this is probably small and you probably want those apps anyway.

I bet you probably have a bunch of old photos or videos on your drive that you forgot about and could easily move to an external drive without it impacting your life in any meaningful way.

Legion103

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
well just delete apps, but first go to the apple menu on the top left and then go about this mac and look for storage and see whats using your memory

42.5 GB is using OTHER...

----------

First download a program called Disk Inventory X and run it on your drive. That will give you a good idea of what's taking up your storage and you can proceed from there by deleting the files yourself, or moving them to an external drive, or asking more specific questions in this forum.

Don't just start deleting apps as the other poster suggested. The chances you will recover a meaningful amount of space from this is probably small and you probably want those apps anyway.

I bet you probably have a bunch of old photos or videos on your drive that you forgot about and could easily move to an external drive without it impacting your life in any meaningful way.

It says I have 42 GB using of OTHER

see image below

w2f7va.jpg

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Curious why you asked about installing Yosemite, at almost the same time that you asked about installing Mavericks...
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1841072/
Either one will still need space to install.
Which do you really want to do? (No good reason to install both, is there?)

The Disk Inventory X is one solution that will help you decide which specific files are really taking up space, not just the generic "Other" :D

note: 64 GB for a boot drive is really very tiny - and likely will keep you struggling to have enough free space. Have you considered replacing your storage with a larger stick? Transcend is a good supplier for that... example: http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Jet...m_sbs_e_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1QECCMA1N048QE6J831R

Legion103

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
What is the other tho? 42 GB is a ton of space to be taken us for nothing?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

"Other" is everything that does not fall into one of those other categories in that graphic. Like the OS for example. Also any documents would be included in other.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012

Interesting that now two people have recommended Disk Inventory X, which is a small program, costs nothing, and takes less than 5 minutes to download and run and see what's taking up space on your drive.

But for some reason you seem more interested in posting dumb questions on this forum rather than doing this simple thing that would solve your problem.

Do whatever you want, I guess.

Dweez

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2011
Down by the river
Interesting that now two people have recommended Disk Inventory X, which is a small program, costs nothing, and takes less than 5 minutes to download and run and see what's taking up space on your drive.

But for some reason you seem more interested in posting dumb questions on this forum rather than doing this simple thing that would solve your problem.

Do whatever you want, I guess.

Make it 3 - go get Disk Inventory X and find out what's actually consuming your disk space

Legion103

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Guys, I downloaded DISK Iventory X and it shows lots of space being taking up...how do I delete that stuff I see?

----------

5bqpea.png

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Guys, I downloaded DISK Iventory X and it shows lots of space being taking up...how do I delete that stuff I see?

Those are your iOS (iPhone and iPad) backups. Open iTunes then go to iTunes preferences (command-comma) and in the Devices tab delete devices you no longer own and that will free up some of that space.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Better, to replace your internal SSD with one from Transcend. A 64GB SSD is simply to small IMHO, to be very productive.

Do Yourself a favor and replace it with something larger.

Lou

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Better, to replace your internal SSD with one from Transcend. A 64GB SSD is simply to small IMHO, to be very productive.

Do Yourself a favor and replace it with something larger.

Lou

This is some of the stupidest advice I've ever seen anywhere from anybody.

Are you really saying, don't worry about trying to figure out what's on your disk and organizing it, just get a bigger one?

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Hey guy did you happen to read what the heck I wrote????? I never said don't organize your work, I said that

A 64GB SSD is simply to small IMHO, to be very productive.

And before you start calling folks stupid - Look at yourself in the mirror. I've tolerated a lot of your BS in threads on this forum, but attacking me is just not acceptable.

You don't have to agree with everything I recommend or say, but insults are not productive.

Lou

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
^^^^Hey guy did you happen to read what the heck I wrote????? I never said don't organize your work, I said that

And before you start calling folks stupid - Look at yourself in the mirror. I've tolerated a lot of your BS in threads on this forum, but attacking me is just not acceptable.

You don't have to agree with everything I recommend or say, but insults are not productive.

Lou

I did read what you said.

Me and several other people were recommending that the guy examine what was taking up space on his drive. Here's what you said:

Really? Better? Than what? Than trying to figure out what's taking up space and seeing whether or not it's necessary? Just buy a new drive?

Sorry to be snippy but this is terrible advice, and don't call me out for not reading what you said when you conveniently fail to quote the part that I was replying to.

davenport4

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2014
Backup Directory

If it were me I would copy the Backup directory to an external drive and than delete it. Than after you install Yosemite you can move it back. The install of OS X uses more space during install than after it is installed.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
If it were me I would copy the Backup directory to an external drive and than delete it. Than after you install Yosemite you can move it back. The install of OS X uses more space during install than after it is installed.

I will echo another poster's advice from above and would check which devices are backed up and when those backups were made (via the iTunes interface).

I think it's pretty common for people to have backups of devices they no longer own, and iTunes will sometimes start new backups for devices so you end up with old backups with stale or duplicate information that can just be deleted.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
I did read what you said.

Really? Better? Than what? Than trying to figure out what's taking up space and seeing whether or not it's necessary? Just buy a new drive?

Sorry, but you didn't read what I said, you took my first sentence out of context. The second sentence explained my advice. And I stand by what I said. In today's storage environment, 64GBs is simply too small to get any meaningful work done, have a robust OS with some third party enhancements, and have the necessary space for even a token amount of storage. Also, there are many who share the opinion that an SSD should not filled to more than 60 or 75% capacity. I'm one who shares that view.

I really don't give a darn what you think of my perspectives, but I have them and I'll share them on these forums.

I will not be responding to your meaningless BS posts in the future.

Lou

Legion103

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Thanks for all the replies.

I was able to install Yosemite, and now have 12.5 GB free, still a ton of space being taking up..

Like one of the OP said, I was able to delete some backups, but what else can I delete to clear space? Any tips?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.