Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ihabime

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
I picked up a 2009 C2D 2.26 ghz macbook and it came with 10.9 installed, since it's used I'd like to do a clean install of mavericks, just in case the seller left anything nasty on the drive and I really don't want to upgrade to Yosemite on this machine.

From what I understand an internet recovery will install the original OS the machine came with, but then I could only upgrade it directly to yosemite.

Is there any way to get the Mavericks installer legitimately without resorting to dubious methods.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The 2009 Macbook does not support Internet Recovery. However, you can still reinstall 10.9.5 by booting into Recovery Mode (Command+R at boot) and reinstalling 10.9 from that. Make sure your machine is connected to the internet before attempting to reinstall OS X.

ihabime

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
The 2009 Macbook does not support Internet Recovery. However, you can still reinstall 10.9.5 by booting into Recovery Mode (Command+R at boot) and reinstalling 10.9 from that. Make sure your machine is connected to the internet before attempting to reinstall OS X.

Unfortunately there's no recovery partition either.

I have a question into apple support, but I don't have my hopes up, it looks like I'll have to download Yosemite no matter what.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Have you ever downloaded 10.9 from the Mac App Store in the past? If you have, you can create a USB installer disc and reinstall from that. If you haven't, you can contact Apple Support and they can send you a redemption code with which you can download 10.9 and then create a USB installation drive.

ihabime

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
Have you ever downloaded 10.9 from the Mac App Store in the past? If you have, you can create a USB installer disc and reinstall from that. If you haven't, you can contact Apple Support and they can send you a redemption code with which you can download 10.9 and then create a USB installation drive.

Nope, never DLed it, still waiting on Apple to reply.

What's most annoying is that you can still buy Mountain lion on disk for 20 bucks but nothing newer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.