Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LevMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2008
QLD, Australia
Hi guys,
Up until the latest Yosemite upgrade, my 27" Cinema Display which is connected to my late 2008 15" MacBook Pro used to show the log in screen on the Cinema Display.

Since upgrading to Yosemite, the log in screen appears on my MacBook Pro no matter what I try, its a bit annoying!

Does anyone know why this happens? I was hoping 10.10.2 would fix this but still the same problem :(

LevMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2008
QLD, Australia
I have the same setup and mine works as it should. Maybe you should try an SMC reset. http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Hey chabig :) Thanks for that

I have performed an SMC reset, also did a PRAM reset, but for some weird reason my log in screen on start up still goes on my MacBook Pro screen instead of my Cinema Display!

My MacBook Pro is a 15" late 2008, one of the first Uni-body ones built, I wonder if its the nVIDIA 9400 which isn't supported in Yosemite anymore?

Im wondering if I should do a full restore and a clean install?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Come to think of it, mine always goes to the MacBook screen if im restarted from a cold boot. I have FileVault enabled so it need me to enter the password before it can begin to boot and load the drivers necessary for the Cinema Display. The only time it will
Boot to the Cinema Display is after a restart because the drive is already unlocked. In summary:

Cold boot > MacBook display
Restart > Cinema Display

Does this make sense?

LevMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2008
QLD, Australia
Thanks for the reply once again :)

Hard to get help these days, so I appreciate it :)

I tried a soft restart and a cold boot from shutdown, either way my log in screen is still displayed on my MacBook Pro screen :(

I know its not a big deal, but on previous operating systems, I never had this problem

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
I know you said that you tried a few remedies, but what about setting the primary display on the Displays item in System Preferences (drag the menu bar to your external display)? This option could've been reset with the upgrade to Yosemite...

(Sorry for the extra suggestion - I somehow missed chabig's post)

LevMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2008
QLD, Australia
I know you said that you tried a few remedies, but what about setting the primary display on the Displays item in System Preferences (drag the menu bar to your external display)? This option could've been reset with the upgrade to Yosemite...

(Sorry for the extra suggestion - I somehow missed chabig's post)

Yep, thats the first thing I tried as it was the most obvious thing to make sure to get right, but still hasn't fixed it :(

Have been hunting around the web, yet can't seem to find a fix for this :(

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Hey chabig, I have FileVault switched off

Should it be on?

It's up to you. I only asked because FileVault changes the way the machine boots,mince the disk has to be unlocked before boot. But obviously that's not what's going on here, since you have it off. Personally, though I would use it on any mobile device.

LevMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2008
QLD, Australia
It's up to you. I only asked because FileVault changes the way the machine boots,mince the disk has to be unlocked before boot. But obviously that's not what's going on here, since you have it off. Personally, though I would use it on any mobile device.

Thanks for the advice :)

I have literally tried everything and haven't resolved this issue :(

I know it's not a big deal, but having being used to the log in display showing on my Cinema Display since day 1 it's annoying that it doesn't show on their anymore

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.