Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kramer7

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2015
Sincerely curious what you mean by that? I use both OS X and Windows extensively, and I use both extensively with two displays, and I'm trying to think of what situation or features you might be referring to?

In my experience, OS X is "easier" with multiple displays, and that's especially so if 4K is part of the setup.

When you run any program in windowed mode, OSX forces V-Sync, which is a huge annoyance to me. That's especially annoying when you run two monitors, and a game in a fullscreen window.

I haven't run anything on 4k yet, so I can't comment on that.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I did find it pretty funny the other day when I went to Best Buy to check out the difference between MacBook Air and Mackbook Pro.

They had both of them right next to each other, but on the MacBook Pro Retina version, they also had the brightness set to 100%, while the MacBook Air's brightness was set on 75%. So after increasing the brightness and also changing the color scheme to Natural R-G-B (I believe that's what it was called), I had the MacBook Air looking almost as good as the MacBook Pro. The best part is that 2 employees took a keen interest to what I was doing and I wouldn't be surprised if they changed the settings back after I left.

Still undecided on which one I want (the Mac Mini is still in play too), but after changing the settings on MBA, I would feel a little better choosing this option.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
I did find it pretty funny the other day when I went to Best Buy to check out the difference between MacBook Air and Mackbook Pro.

They had both of them right next to each other, but on the MacBook Pro Retina version, they also had the brightness set to 100%, while the MacBook Air's brightness was set on 75%. So after increasing the brightness and also changing the color scheme to Natural R-G-B (I believe that's what it was called), I had the MacBook Air looking almost as good as the MacBook Pro. The best part is that 2 employees took a keen interest to what I was doing and I wouldn't be surprised if they changed the settings back after I left.

Still undecided on which one I want (the Mac Mini is still in play too), but after changing the settings on MBA, I would feel a little better choosing this option.

I can't find that setting on my macbook air 2014 and using any of the RGB schemes makes it yucky purply blue

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I can't find that setting on my macbook air 2014 and using any of the RGB schemes makes it yucky purply blue

Hmm...yeah I am pretty sure it was "Natural RGB", but I could be wrong Best Buy was really busy and I had people looking over me.

I should ask, since you have the 2014 version, is the screen a disappointment to you or has it been pretty good. I ask because there just seemed to be such a difference (that got closer after I messed with the colors scheme) between the MBA and MBP in the store.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Hmm...yeah I am pretty sure it was "Natural RGB", but I could be wrong Best Buy was really busy and I had people looking over me.

I should ask, since you have the 2014 version, is the screen a disappointment to you or has it been pretty good. I ask because there just seemed to be such a difference (that got closer after I messed with the colors scheme) between the MBA and MBP in the store.

Its nice. Its not retina so I can appear a bit jaggy if I stop to look. Videos on netflix and youtube aren't as nice as on my iPad 4 but its all very watchable. Depends what you want it for. If your typing a lot and working then its fine because your in the flow of creation.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Its nice. Its not retina so I can appear a bit jaggy if I stop to look. Videos on netflix and youtube aren't as nice as on my iPad 4 but its all very watchable. Depends what you want it for. If your typing a lot and working then its fine because your in the flow of creation.

Yeah, I hear you. Really, my top priority for whatever Mac I buy will be to use it as my media server through Plex. That's why the Mac Mini is kind of attractive because I do most tasks on mobile (iPhone/iPad) but would like a more reliable device than my crappy Windows 8 laptop when it comes to the media and tasks that require a pc.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012

The MBA screens are somewhat better than average vs. typical laptop screens from over the last 4 years.

They are not IPS and they are not high-res (retina) so they are not at the upper end. But better than average is not bad.

You can tweak the settings so it looks better (in your opinion) but there are no settings to get around the limitations of the LCD panel technology. Namely, some colors will never be quite right (specifically, there's no setting that makes the reds on mine look exactly the way they should). Also, if you're sitting at the laptop, then the screen doesn't look washed out, but if you're trying to watch a video on it from a bit of a distance (or you have multiple people watching a video on it) then from a lot of angles it will look washed out and not nearly as good as an IPS display like the retina MacBooks'.

Cicatrix

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2011
Phoenix, AZ

You should go back to BB today and see if the clerks desabotaged your handy work!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.