Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SeenJeen

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2009
Good to hear that OP upgraded to ML without a hitch.

Personally, I have a Mac Mini still running Snow Leopard, and a new Mac Mini running Mountain Lion.

I don't see a reason to upgrade my SL Mini to ML... I use a Logitech mouse, so I won't be using multitouch gestures anytime soon.

Plus, Rosetta is a keeper. :D

AnnaCody

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2010
CAPE COD
I would certainly NOT upgrade to ML with only 2GB of ram. I have a 2010 with 4GB of ram and ML is noticeably slower than SL was and I very regularly go over 2GB of usage. By very regularly, I mean almost every single time I'm using my MBA.

How much of the 4 GB are you using? And where the heck do I find that info on my Mac? Or would that not be an issue?

Anna C

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
How much of the 4 GB are you using? And where the heck do I find that info on my Mac? Or would that not be an issue?

Anna C

Use Activity Moniter to see CPU usage, RAM usage and other info.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Similar question to OP, but for a different machine. I'm running a mid-2009 13" MBP 2.26 GHz core 2 duo processor with 2 GB of RAM. I was upgraded to SL from leopard about a year ago when I got a new hard drive. The HDD is still only 160 GB. I just got an iPhone 5 a few months ago and would really like to be able to use iCloud for iTunes Match and other features. I'm just wondering if this machine would be able to handle ML or if it would just be better to buy a new MBP eventually. I know the tech specs say it can, but I have to wonder if a 4 year old laptop would be able to handle the upgrade. I've already gone through a few hard drive cables and had some issues where it wouldn't wake from sleep except for a hard restart. Finally fixed that issue. I also believe that I have one of those faulty MagSafe cables, but my trusted authorized service place couldn't replicate the issue (light flickers, doesn't always charge when connected, area around connection gets very hot). As enticing as ML is, I have to wonder if this is the machine to run it on. Unfortunately I'm a college student, so I can't just from $1200+ on a new computer. Although i5 and a 500 GB hard drive sure is enticing. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else has successfully upgraded their older MBPs. I would also consider upgrading to Lion if it would run better.

Mr-Kerrse

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
United Kingdom
I have had Lion & then Mountain Lion running since it came out, with that little RAM you may find it a little slow but still useable. I have it running on my 2010 Imac but i have upgraded my RAM to 16gb for a mear cost of £60 i thought if i was going to up the RAM i might as well take it to the maximum :D

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
I don't know if it has been mentioned in this thread, but it also appears that Java has left people with SL and below behind...

don't know if that matters to you. it's driving my wife nuts because she likes to be able to print coupons and she apparently can't do it without the latest iteration of Java.

palmharbor

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2007
Again, thank you for trying to offer input. And again, I think you are answering a question I'm not asking. I have no (ZERO) interest in booting my rMBP from Snow Leopard. None. Pretend like Snow Leopard isn't even in the discussion.

I have an old iMac running "an earlier version of OS X" and want to upgrade it to Mountain Lion.

I just purchased a rMBP and have got it configured exactly as I would like it (folders as I want them, dock as I want it, support files transferred from old iMac to new rMBP exactly where I want them, non-stock applications installed and verified on the new rMBP, etc).

Now that I have the 'perfect' Mountain Lion setup on that new Mac, I'm wondering if I can mirror it to the old Mac. So, I'm thinking of downloading Mountain Lion and doing a fresh install (that "old OS" version will no longer be in place at all). My iMac will then be running a stock version of Mountain Lion after the fresh install.

Then, I wanted to hook my new rMBP to my iMac and go into utilities, migration assistant. The question was does someone in the know believe this would result in a pretty good transfer of the rMBP Mountain Lion setup to the iMac fresh install Mountain Lion setup? I think yes, but I was looking for someone to either back up my thinking or shoot it down.

I hope that clarifies my question. It has nothing to do with trying to run/use Snow Leopard on the rMBP. Thank you though for trying to help in terms of what you apparently believed I was asking.
I say, stay with 10.7 I am running 10.8.3 and have had to do a reinstall twice and find no clear benefit to 10.8.3. I made the horrible mistake thinking 10.8 must be better than 10.7 because its the next BIG THING

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I bypassed 10.7, so I don't know what that was like. I did do exactly what was just quoted above and it worked out pretty well. For the most part. 10.8.3 seems to be running fine on both my older iMac and the new rMBP. And that migration worked just exactly as I hoped.

The lone downside for my situation was losing ready access to some old PowerPC software via Rosetta and a solid business printer that was no longer supported in drivers. Some important (to me) applications have no Intel-based upgrade at any price. So, before I made the change, I bought a firewire 2.5", mirrored the SL install to that and now I boot back into that when I need access to those programs. It's not that often but it is a hoop through which I wish I wouldn't have to jump. I also purchased a more modern printer and sold off an old reliable one. Net: the change ended up costing about $500 when you factor in the hardware purchases to mostly maintain the same capabilities I had before.

For the most part though, I mostly like 10.8.3. I've found iCloud to be somewhat useful though it could IMO use some refinements. All in all, I still think SL was the better OS but you don't have that many choices with Apple. Eventually, you have to move or increasingly lose functionality and newer software advances.

photographypro

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
American in Pisa (Italy)
Dictation makes Mountain Lion the best!

I don't know how people miss the biggest feature of Mountain Lion.

Double Tap your function key....Talk.... converts to text,

ANYWHERE you can type, online, email, etc.

Programs that do this run $50 to $150, but you get it for $20 plus all the other features.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I'm in the middle of an upgrade from SL to ML, sorta. Bought a new computer and am learning ML. Biggest problem for me is external drives. I have all Minis, so externals are pretty necessary. And they will NOT stay mounted with ML unless I set the system to never sleep. It fails to remount as it should at system wake, both USB and FW drives for me. Massive thread about this at Apple's forums.

londonman

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2008
Theres one good reason for me not to migrate from Snow Leopard and that is, as far as I am aware, both Lion and Mountain Lion will force me to 'upgrade' to iTunes 11 as it comes as part of the OS release.

iTunes 11 lacks features that I need and that are in iTunes 10.x

I know you can 'downgrade' back to iTunes 10 but TBH there's no real incentive that I can see to migrate to Lion or ML (for me).

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
So I am about to upgrade from SL to ML on my 2009 unibody Macbook. 2.4 GHz, 4gig RAM.

If I want to keep the option open to go back to 10.6.8 after I upgrade for whatever reason, all i need to do is do a time machine backup, not do one after I upgrade and then i can just do a fresh SL install and restore with time machine. Correct?

sorry to threadjack, just didn't see the point in starting a new topic while this one was still current.
thanks!

mjolnir314

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2013
DisplacedMic, I've got the same machine you do...though I upgraded to 8Gb RAM. I upgraded to ML and quickly regretted it since I lost access to the PowerPC programs. It took the better part of two days over ridiculously slow wifi, but I did a restore from my Time Machine back to SL.

I'm now considering going BACK to ML for the iCloud features and I now am not tied to the PowerPC applications anymore.

AnnaCody

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2010
CAPE COD
I don't know how people miss the biggest feature of Mountain Lion.

Double Tap your function key....Talk.... converts to text,

ANYWHERE you can type, online, email, etc.

Programs that do this run $50 to $150, but you get it for $20 plus all the other features.

Holy cow! I just saw your post and I tried it out in Mail and it works! And now I'm using it here and it's working! I just upgraded to Mountain Lion a few days ago maybe there's other features that I don't know about. You're right this is well worth it!

Thanks for your post. Now what am I gonna do with my hands now that I no longer need them to type :D

LWks

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2010
PhoneValet ?

Hello Darryl -

I know this is a real long shot but if, by any chance, you've decided to abandon PhoneValet and happy to actually still have it, I'd be keenly interested in purchasing the hardware and license code (if the license is for PhoneValet 6)

I can be contacted at typetome[at]earthlink.net

Thanks !

Hello, since I'm in the same boat as OP (considering updating my 2010 iMac from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion for the same reasons), I thought I would ask some related questions...

I recently bought a new retina Macbook Pro. I fresh installed the programs I use most and pretty much have reached the point where I have everything exactly as I want it on that rMBP.

My older iMac still has some Rosetta programs on it and, over the years, has accumulated some files and probably related library files that I wouldn't miss if they were gone. I'll need some of those Rosetta programs in the future so I've picked up an external drive and will mirror my Snow Leopard installation to that external so I can boot back into Snow Leopard when I need Rosetta. I'm confident that end of things is all well in hand.

Here's the biggest question: Could I fresh install Mountain Lion on that iMac and then use migration assistant from that new rMBP to basically mirror the setup on that rMBP to my iMac? Conceptually, I'm thinking I can and then just fall back to that Snow Leopard backup for anything that I might be missing (such as some archived Mail boxes, etc). Any flaw in this thinking?

I have the Adobe CS 5.5 Suite on both currently. Do you think migration assistant would move a copy of Adobe Suite back to that "fresh installed" iMac and have it work?

I have Parallels 7 running Windows 7 on that iMac. I'm guessing I would have to upgrade to version 8 on Mountain Lion but no big deal.

I have an ancient HP wide format printer HP CP1700 that still works just fine. Anyone know if it will work on Mountain Lion (I see info online that implies the driver is deprecated but I see other information that says if any printers work with Snow Leopard, they'll work with Mountain Lion too. It works on Snow Leopard).

I have PhoneValet (voice mail) from Parliant. Can anyone confirm that it definitely works with Mountain Lion?

Thanks for any feedback.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Hello Darryl - I know this is a real long shot but if, by any chance, you've decided to abandon PhoneValet and happy to actually still have it, I'd be keenly interested in purchasing the hardware and license code (if the license is for PhoneValet 6) I can be contacted at typetome[at]earthlink.net Thanks !

Thanks for the interest. Actually, I found that I needed the functionally bad enough (and lacked the desire to go Windows for something like it) that I bought a used Mac Mini which now runs Snow Leopard mostly for this ONE thing. Sorry I couldn't help.

LWks

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2010
Thank you very much for replying so quickly! I'm obviously disappointed (but not at all surprised). Believe me, I TOTALLY understand.

Thank you again.

Thanks for the interest. Actually, I found that I needed the functionally bad enough (and lacked the desire to go Windows for something like it) that I bought a used Mac Mini which now runs Snow Leopard mostly for this ONE thing. Sorry I couldn't help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.