Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psou

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2015
Greece
The word "paradox" comes from the greek word... paradox-o (read as parAdoxo).
It stems from two roots, "para" and "doxein". Para means "away or beyond from something" and doxein means "to indicate, point or teach". If we combine these two then we get the meaning of the word which is something like "out of the rules" or in a word unorthodox. The very first people that made paradox argues were the ones that founded the Aristotelis dogma. Modern mathematicians use paradox arguments in order to found theorems that apply to the real world like for example Riemann. The really interesting thing is that sometimes you can begin from something "paradox" and come up with something very realistic and usable such as the Riemann Geometry.

psou

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2015
Greece
And as I promised the comments on the photos.
Please note that it is not my intention to insult or downgrade your work. All the comments bellow are my humble thoughts and after all who am i to judge? Everyone here could potentialy be the photographer of the year. :)

CharlieBrandt09: Great pic. I really love the moment! Technically speaking, i would love to see the shutter speed much higher for the details of the snowball to really shine. Less dof would be great too! Sometimes it's the image that counts and not the technique! Paradox enough for me!

Obibob: I can't seem to find the paradox in the picture. I would try to capture the sign or something. Try to keep the horizon straight and follow the rule of thirds. Nice landscape picture.

Ish: The winner! I can see the paradox but i can also see the buildings in the reflection. Had you used a polarising filter and a bit different framing then, your picture would be just one of those great ones! I like the BW edition. Keep up the good work!

MacRy: I get what you are saying but paradox in general must not be accompanied by clarifying notes. Clarifying makes the paradox logical! Nice thought though! Try avoiding colliding lines.

Chappers: I really love the image! As above, the paradox is not understood without the clarification. Nice processing and framing.

tomnavratil: Very nice image. Try to use the rules of thirds and open up the shadows for more detail in the dark areas. Again, the paradox here needs a title. Great pic though!

Hughmac: Almost a paradox here! Roses rarely bloom in winter like this follow did. If the image had been shot with a dslr then the detail in the ice on the pedals would have made this image a real winner! I hope everything goes well for your cameras!

Apple fanboy: I get the idea! The image needs work though. Why don't you try it again maybe with slime in several colours and a bit more clinic light?

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Thanks for the comments; I will be keeping an eye out for a similar shot in the future.

My D3200 is still at Nikon being looked over, and I have bought another D3100 as a spare and to be going along with (they both take the same battery and apart from the mp size are very similar).
I will be selling the one with the broken flash soon.

Cheers :)

Hugh

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Apple fanboy: I get the idea! The image needs work though. Why don't you try it again maybe with slime in several colours and a bit more clinic light?

Thanks for the feedback. It was a real rush job. I'm not sure the resulting picture would be much better whatever I did, as I think as an idea it was decidedly average on my part.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.