Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I may have confused ptdebate with my interlude... so to clarify:

IDE-SATA-HiCap-Driver = needed to use SATA or IDE drives on the PowerMacs original ATA-Bus
SIL3124-SATA Driver = needed with non-Sonnet-SATA-PCI-X-Card as posted in the other thread or shown in the picture I linked.
no Driver = Sonnet-SATA-Cards.
I don't mean to argue, but I was getting the entire capacity of my 1TB drives from my SATA card without the HiCap driver installed. I only installed it because I was NOT getting full capacity on my IDE only drives connected to the IDE ribbon cable.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
How is the 9600 working for you so far?

Playing with mine a fair bit the past few days, I've noticed that the UI seems a lot more responsive than before, especially with things like scrolling.

It's not a huge issue, but was definitely worth the trouble of upgrading and I'm glad I did it(even though this computer can now not boot OS 9-that's what my Cube or single 1.25 MDD is for :) )

ptdebate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2014
Dallas, Texas
How is the 9600 working for you so far?

Playing with mine a fair bit the past few days, I've noticed that the UI seems a lot more responsive than before, especially with things like scrolling.

It's not a huge issue, but was definitely worth the trouble of upgrading and I'm glad I did it(even though this computer can now not boot OS 9-that's what my Cube or single 1.25 MDD is for :) )

I love it! The interface looks far nicer, especially with the added transparencies. I ran Neverwinter Nights to try out its gaming performance, and was able to run it smoothly at 1080p with maxed out settings. Very impressive!

I still can't figure out how to manage HD playback, but I suspect I'm gonna need a better media player than vanilla QuickTime (I'm currently running 10.5.4 as I haven't updated the OS yet.)

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
I don't mean to argue, but I was getting the entire capacity of my 1TB drives from my SATA card without the HiCap driver installed. I only installed it because I was NOT getting full capacity on my IDE only drives connected to the IDE ribbon cable.

I know! Everything fine! :)
But ptdebate asked, if he needs the hi-cap-driver for the SATA-PCI card and I tried to clarify, that one only needs the hicap-driver for the onboard-IDE BUS of the G4 itself, if I got you right.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I know! Everything fine! :)
But ptdebate asked, if he needs the hi-cap-driver for the SATA-PCI card and I tried to clarify, that one only needs the hicap-driver for the onboard-IDE BUS of the G4 itself, if I got you right.
We're good!

ptdebate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2014
Dallas, Texas
I may have confused ptdebate with my interlude... so to clarify:

IDE-SATA-HiCap-Driver = needed to use SATA or IDE drives on the PowerMacs original ATA-Bus
SIL3124-SATA Driver = needed with non-Sonnet-SATA-PCI-X-Card as posted in the other thread or shown in the picture I linked.
no Driver = Sonnet-SATA-Cards.

Thanks, but I understand!

Can anyone comment on whether or not there's a way to have HD playback in Leopard on my Powermac? What media player do I need?

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK

Can anyone comment on whether or not there's a way to have HD playback in Leopard on my Powermac? What media player do I need?

I think you'll be struggling. My 2006 1.83Ghz Intel MBP would only just play a 720p H264 file in software - it was around 80-90% on both cores.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

My understanding is that while Full HD playback is possible, it's really only doable on Quadcore G5s.

That said, this may be worth a look.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1836256/

It uses MPlayer in the background (though the script) and you get full screen non-stuttering playback.

I use Quicksilver, a quick launch tool, and have created a trigger for the script. All I need to do is select a movie and use a keyboard shortcut. It's the same as having dropped that movie on the script.

P.S. When are we going to see pictures with the recent upgrades you made?
This thread is all about your DA G4 you know!

ptdebate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2014
Dallas, Texas
My understanding is that while Full HD playback is possible, it's really only doable on Quadcore G5s.

That said, this may be worth a look.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1836256/

It uses MPlayer in the background (though the script) and you get full screen non-stuttering playback.

I use Quicksilver, a quick launch tool, and have created a trigger for the script. All I need to do is select a movie and use a keyboard shortcut. It's the same as having dropped that movie on the script.

P.S. When are we going to see pictures with the recent upgrades you made?
This thread is all about your DA G4 you know!

Fair enough! ;). I've been meaning to take pictures of the inside and outside as well as the new performance enhancements--will do as soon as I get home. I'm in the middle of a move right now so everything's been awry!

HD playback isn't essential for me by any means, I just wanted to know whether or not it's possible. Strange that iMovie HD and handbrake will allow me to fool around with HD content despite the Mac not really being able to play it back at full resolution! I've been tinkering around with potential setups where I use my DA G4 to encode video being streamed to the PS3, but I'm not sure whether or not it's possible as of yet. None of this is essential work for me--just seeing whether or not the Mac can handle the decidedly modern tasks I'm throwing at it.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
My 2.3 DP G5 handles 1080p h264 files with ease in VLC (with processors on 'reduced' setting) - your beefed up G4 might be capable too. Even a lowly G3 can do HD if the appropriate codec is used in the video file - you can convert a h264 file to an uncompressed format eg Apple Intermediate Codec, however the file size would be huge!

ptdebate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2014
Dallas, Texas
Totally forgot to post these! :eek:

Behold my glorious G4 desktop! Now supporting Core Image and Quartz Extreme! :p

As you can see, I'm a big Ingrid Bergman fan.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 85
  • Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    1 MB · Views: 102

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Very cool!

I would post my desktops as I'm a big Audrey Meadows fan, but I think I've plastered MR with those enough! LOL!

Looks good!

desantii

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2006
Aurora, IL
Awesome machine!!. Love the DAs, not sure why,even with the same CPUs the DAs always seemed a bit quicker than the Quicksilvers

ptdebate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2014
Dallas, Texas
Thanks!!! I love this computer. It's amazing to me how capable it is for something built in 2001.

Installed a second SSD on my SATA card (I had an extra laying around).

I had to mount it vertically because that's the only way I could get the enclosure's screws to align with the drive trays. I think it turned out okay.

Attachments

• IMG_0499.JPG
    IMG_0499.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 86

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
The Mac ATI 9700 can work in any AGP 4X PowerMac.

This is incorrect. Back in the day, I tried in a QS, NO BUENA.

There was a guy (I think Gene Hack) at Cubeowner who figured out way to make one work in Cube. Was rather involved.

There are flashed 9700s that can work in many Macs but they have an issue related to the difference in ports from the Mac one.

Best AGP 4X card for a PPC Mac is Gainward 7800 (has GT core on a GS board). The available 7800GS cards (based on G70 core, not G71) are 2nd best option. (after writing the rom I made a few hundred of them). I seem to recall that the 7800GS either ran a 30" or could be modded to.

There is a rare Quadro card that flashes into a wonderful 6800 Ultra or GT. It even has the panel link chip allowing Dual Link 30" support but I was only one I knew who made them and I stopped long ago. Pity nobody else does them. Very nice 4x AGP card. The garden variety 6800GT and Ultra cards flash well (with right rom) but never found one with the Dual link chip. (you can see where they should be, maybe could hot-air one on?) Many of these Nvidia cards require chip switch, so rarely done now-a-days. Really sad that the 6600GT flashing days are over, made a really nice card.

As far as AGP 2x, the Radeon 9800 and it's little brother the 9700 were king. There was a rare 256 Meg version in PC world that flashed into perfect Mac card, I imagine very hard to find now. T. Perrier wrote that rom for me.

But the Mac 9700 is a very picky card, I just don't want people buying one thinking it will work in their QS, because it won't.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I have (or had) an Apple OEM ATI 9700 running in a Quicksilver. There are others on these forums that have them running in Quicksilvers as well, even one in a Digital Audio.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
I have (or had) an Apple OEM ATI 9700 running in a Quicksilver. There are others on these forums that have them running in Quicksilvers as well, even one in a Digital Audio.

Would love to know how that was done.

Heres 3 or 4 people who found otherwise, at least they found that without mods the cards wouldn't get past a safe boot.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/263345

If there is a mod that enables this, would be great to publicize.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It was done many years ago, but from what I recall it was plug and play. Nothing special needed.

roobarb!

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2009
I wonder if you folk might enjoy this:

http://roobarb.dfpx.co.uk/g4reno/g4intro.html

Did it years ago; can't say that my overclocking was the really worth it for the tiny performance increase, but everything else worked. In fact, the machine is sat on a shelf here next to me. :)

In the end it was a PowerMac G4 FW800 Dual 1.5GHz with a lovely nVidia 7800GS card. If I'm honest, I could have done nothing but upgrade to the 7800GS and it would have been just as successful.

I'm sure I have the old ATI 9800 card somewhere. It was a reflashed PC model, but it worked a treat. Anyone wants it, drop me a line, I'm sure we can come to an amicable arrangement! ;)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I wonder if you folk might enjoy this:

http://roobarb.dfpx.co.uk/g4reno/g4intro.html

Did it years ago; can't say that my overclocking was the really worth it for the tiny performance increase, but everything else worked. In fact, the machine is sat on a shelf here next to me. :)

In the end it was a PowerMac G4 FW800 Dual 1.5GHz with a lovely nVidia 7800GS card. If I'm honest, I could have done nothing but upgrade to the 7800GS and it would have been just as successful.

I'm sure I have the old ATI 9800 card somewhere. It was a reflashed PC model, but it worked a treat. Anyone wants it, drop me a line, I'm sure we can come to an amicable arrangement! ;)
Wow!

It's things like this that remind me that I have neither the time, money or skillset to accomplish - and thus my Quicksilver will remain air cooled. One or two of these things (money and time) would probably work, but I am more likely to gain the skillset than I am either of those.

Kuddos to you for having everything necessary to achieve this. You have a very nice, professional looking system.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky

If only you were in the US :)

(I'm assuming you're not from the .co.uk url)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.