Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KaiDombrowski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2014
Hi,
I just received my new iMac 5k yesterday. I'm very happy with the iMac except for quite significant backlight bleeding in the top-right corner. Did anyone else notice that?

Attachments

• FW7r0uV.jpg
    FW7r0uV.jpg
    713.8 KB · Views: 671

Seramir

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2006
If it bothers you, return it for a replacement. If the next one has more or the same bleed, keep exchanging it. It took me 5 replacements until I got one with zero backlight bleed (except for unavoidable IPS glow). You may not be as lucky as me though, so you may have to live with some amount of bleed.

KaiDombrowski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2014
Yeah had to do that with my 2008 iMac but was pretty lucky since. I'm willing to accept some backlight bleed but I'm just curious to know what's "normal" with those new 5k iMacs.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Just noticed this on mine near the top-left and bottom-right corners. A bit concerned, not sure if this will bother me in the future. Only shows up with near-full brightness. I wonder if any other Retina iMac owners have experienced this issue...

KaiDombrowski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2014
I checked a different 5k iMac today. That one had no visible backlight bleeding. I guess mine is going back :(

KaiDombrowski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2014
Mine was noticeable whenever the background was dark (mostly while watching movies and playing games).
You would be able to spot some backlight bleeding on all LCD displays when sitting in a dark room looking at a black image in the screen but the one on my iMac was shockingly strong.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
I've come to realize it's near impossible to expect a perfect LED panel at these price points (even for an iMac).

My best advice is to fine one that bothers you the least and stick with it.

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Backlight uniformity and good black level has never been a strong point of IPS and I am sure that those who are wowed by how marvellous their iMac screens are have either (a) got lucky and got a good one, or (b) are not that critical and/or have never seen an Eizo or NEC for example.

The reality is many iMacs have poor screens when it comes to backlight uniformity. There's a reason a 27" Eizo ColorEdge costs as much as a whole iMac! First of all they use only the top binned panels and then they add sophisticated electronics. The iMac cannot offer all that at the chosen price point, and putting a 5k panel in there makes it even more of challenge.

You just have to hope that you get an acceptable one, or put up with keep replacing it until you do, or until Apple gives up on you and refuses.

MacTCE

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2013
Raleigh NC
Just got a new 5K in the office and if has the exact same issue as the OP. I'm not talking about a slight leak in the corner, but it's significant on the whole edge on the right hand side.

kkishfy

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2010
I had the same problem with (4) machines from December 28, 2014 - February 10, 2015. The screen is completely unacceptable, especially if you are a graphics designer, video editor or gamer where you work with dark backgrounds. The screen bleed problem is very distracting to look at.

In my opinion, this system needs to be revisited by engineers. It's not right to put the customer through this hassle of exchanges, delays and inconveniences where these issues should have been noticed/fixed in pre-production by Apple Quality Control Engineers.

Last edited:

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
I had the same problem with (4) machines from December 28, 2014 - February 10, 2015. The screen is completely unacceptable, especially if you are a graphics designer, video editor or gamer where you work with dark backgrounds. The screen bleed problem is very distracting to look at.

In my opinion, this system needs to be revisited by engineers. It's not right to put the customer through this hassle of exchanges, delays and inconveniences where these issues should have been noticed/fixed in pre-production by Apple Quality Control Engineers.

Did you seriously just resurrect all these old threads and post the same message in each? One would have been fine.

That sort of thing should at least get you a warning.

mgb1120

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
If it bothers you, return it for a replacement. If the next one has more or the same bleed, keep exchanging it. It took me 5 replacements until I got one with zero backlight bleed (except for unavoidable IPS glow). You may not be as lucky as me though, so you may have to live with some amount of bleed.

Which model did you get? You went through 5 replacements? Like advance replacements or you had no computer while you waited?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.