Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GBNova

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2009
Hi all.

Please see the attached screenshot. Whenever I am in finder and full screen view, when I move folders over from a thumb drive they get stuck behind the toolbar and I cannot get them to display properly in the window unless I go back to a windowed view and then back to full screen view. Is this a bug or is there something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-07 at 10.09.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-07 at 10.09.05 PM.png
    36 KB · Views: 128

GBNova

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2009
What happens when you right click in the folder (Finder window) and select Clean Up?

It doesn't fix it. Then only way to fix it I have found is to minimize the window and go full screen again.

Another thing that causes this I have found is let's say I move one of those picture files you see in the screenshot to one of the folders you see there. That will push up all the folders as well and leave them stuck under the tool bar. This has to be a bug with OS X and not just my machine.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
OK, two things to try:

1. Login as a different User. Set up a new user for troubleshooting if you don't have another User to, um, use. If the problem does not exist under this second user, there's something wrong with your main User account.

2. Go back into your Main account where you have this problem. Get a new com.apple.finder.plist file - like this: Open the Library folder in that user acccount (Option>View pick Library). Open the Preferences folder in there. Find the file above and move it out of there, to your Desktop if you are afraid of putting it in the Trash. Restart the computer.

If the problem persists, but did not appear in the other user account, the quickest solution is to migrate to a new account and delete the one you've been using. You need to make sure you get all of your files copied to the new user account before you trash the old one.

GBNova

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2009
Thanks I'll try that out. I'm guessing from your post that you (or many others) are not experiencing this anomaly.

GBNova

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2009
Ok, so I went in through the guest account and same problem. I've attached a screenshot. You will also see when I copy over individual files not every time but sometimes is scatters them over the screen instead of placing the thumbnails in line.

Also, just to clarify what is happening and when, the folders are shifting up when I drag files from the main window over to a folder in the menu bar. Not only the folders are shifting up but the entire screen shifts up as I can see about an inch of black monitor screen as I drop the files. Once I've dropped the files the screen doesn't shift back down until I go to a windowed view. The tool bar doesn't shift out of view though, it stays put.

I wonder if it is a problem with how the OS is communicating with my monitor? I am using an HP monitor connected via a mini DP to DVI adaptor. I've had the odd other screen weirdness too.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-10 at 9.20.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-10 at 9.20.02 PM.png
    113.8 KB · Views: 92

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Since another account behaved the same way, I think it's unlikely that my second step above will be useful. But, it certainly won't hurt anything.

Your hardware question is out of my league.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.