Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Surrat

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2014
United States
For future reference, if you install leopard fresh, with a pc/mac edition 9600 card installed, you will get the crappy grey install screens, but after the first reboot, the card will work mostly normally. Install the driver then to fix the card fully.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
There are a lot of reports around the internet about this card not working in Quicksilvers.

I just tried it in my QS2002, and it indeed did not work. This is despite the fact that it worked-with some fiddling-in my Digital Audio. I am using the exact same card as worked in the DA. I also tried the same tricks I used-and are suggested on the internet-including cleaning the contacts with a pencil eraser followed by alcohol and rebooting multiple times.

I didn't have my stash of PCI cards handy, but did SSH into the Quicksilver and system profiler does not register it as being installed.

In parallel with the discussion going on in another thread, the ATI Fire Gl X3-flashed with X800 ROM-that I've confirmed good in my G5 also does not show up in this computer. This is in line with others' experience.

Looks like I'm stuck with the 9600XT in the Quicksilver for the time being, which is overall not a terrible thing to be stuck with. At least it also saves me having to use the external ADC power supply with my Studio display.

Looks like my benchmark comparisons will be dependent on the PC & Mac edition working in an MDD.

Surrat

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2014
United States
I have the pc & mac 9600 in my MDD and it works perfectly.

I did read on a forum once, that the MDD has a higher rated AGP slot than older macs, in that it can supply more watts to the card. This was needed for the mac edition 9700 Pro card that apple offered for a short time on the MDD.

I dont know if this true, but maybe it has something to do with some cards not working in the QS.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have the pc & mac 9600 in my MDD and it works perfectly.

I did read on a forum once, that the MDD has a higher rated AGP slot than older macs, in that it can supply more watts to the card. This was needed for the mac edition 9700 Pro card that apple offered for a short time on the MDD.

I dont know if this true, but maybe it has something to do with some cards not working in the QS.
In the other thread about the FireGL we are speculating that there is some difference betweent the AGP slot of the MDD and the QS. It may be what you've heard, but I'll just mention that right now I am running a Radeon 9800 Pro in my Quicksilver's AGP slot.

Not exactly sure how the numbers run, but I presume the 9800 is a later update to the 9700.

powermi

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2013
Avila (Spain)
After testing serveral Gcards on my powermac army.. i would say that the best way to have enough power and not drain to much from the PSU, is to flash and XFX 6200.
If not possible go with the 9600 mac edition or just flash one.
last option for me is the 9800 pro. cause it needs a lot of watts under load, and if you dont plan to play it doesnt make sense.

ptdebate

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2014
Dallas, Texas
bunnspecial,

does the Pro model support a resolution of 2560x1600? Because I'm pretty sure the XT doesn't due to lower ram, despite its nominally better performance.

Surrat

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2014
United States
If your referring to the pc & mac edition 9600, it has 256mb ram, and one of the dvi ports is dual link. I have tested it on my 30" cinema and it works perfectly at 2560x1600.

Surrat

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2014
United States
Sorry, I dont have a mac 9600xt to test, so I dont know if it will work with the 30" cinema.

For a card to work with it, does not require 256mb, 128 is more than enough, what it DOES require is a "dual link" dvi port. For example, my Powerbook 17" 1.67 has a 9700M chip with 128mb, and a dual link dvi output. It supports the 30" cinema just fine.

Even if the card does not have dual link dvi, it will still work with the 30" cinema, it will just run it at 1280x800 resolution.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Sorry, I dont have a mac 9600xt to test, so I dont know if it will work with the 30" cinema.

For a card to work with it, does not require 256mb, 128 is more than enough, what it DOES require is a "dual link" dvi port. For example, my Powerbook 17" 1.67 has a 9700M chip with 128mb, and a dual link dvi output. It supports the 30" cinema just fine.

Even if the card does not have dual link dvi, it will still work with the 30" cinema, it will just run it at 1280x800 resolution.

I do have a 9600XT, but no 30" Cinema

If anyone wants to sell me one cheap, I'd be happy to test out the combo :)

Unfortunately, they still seem to bring big bucks on Ebay.

cunninglinguist

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2015
La Mesa, California
I'm not sure how this one slipped under the radar, but I was extremely happy to win it for the price I did

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-2-AT...4848191317736&_qi=RTM1963929&autorefresh=true

Now that I have the DVI-ADC adapter, I'm thinking one of these is likely to go in my Quicksilver to replace the hacked G5 9600 I'm currently using. These have twice the VRAM of the G5 9600.

In any case, I'm extremely happy with the purchase for the price(although admittedly they're far from being in my hands).

Very cool! I had one in my 1.6GHz G5 years ago to run UT2k4 better ;)

Surrat

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2014
United States
All this talk of video cards, so I thought I would post that I just got a new in the sealed static bag Apple 9700 Pro! The super rare one that was offered as a BTO option with MDD's. It has the ADC plug, and was in the apple replacment part bag with labels. I put it in my MDD FW400 1.25ghz, and its working perfectly, but gets awefully hot while playing minecraft. I actually achieved 79fps in our ppc minecraft with it in a test.

Special thanks to Bulbfreak for locating it on ebay and telling me about it!

Edit: Added in a screenshot of the info windows for anybody thats curious.

Attachments

• Mac 9700 Pro.png
    Mac 9700 Pro.png
    259.9 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
All this talk of video cards, so I thought I would post that I just got a new in the sealed static bag Apple 9700 Pro! The super rare one that was offered as a BTO option with MDD's. It has the ADC plug, and was in the apple replacment part bag with labels. I put it in my MDD FW400 1.25ghz, and its working perfectly, but gets awefully hot while playing minecraft. I actually achieved 79fps in our ppc minecraft with it in a test.

Special thanks to Bulbfreak for locating it on ebay and telling me about it!

79 fps minecraft in a G4?! :eek: better than my macbook pro! :p
On what settings though?

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I just finished migrating over to my "new" Quicksilver, which really is in many ways a duplicate of the main one I've been using(except this one is a legitimate dual 1ghz, so I get the L3 cache...it's actually noticeably faster).

In any case, I also swapped around displays and due to some issues with the DVI port on my 9600XT, I decided to try the 9600 Pro again. Much to my pleasant surprise, it worked the first time without any issues at all in this Quicksilver.

That makes me want to try the X800 in it, but I'll save that for another day :)

So, with that in mind, here are the promised benchmarks from Xbench. The first is the 9600 Pro, the second the 9600 XT. I should also add the caveat that both cards were driving two display, although with slightly different set-ups. The XT was driving a 17" ADC Studio Display(1280x1024) and a generic(Acer) 20" 1680x1050 panel. The Pro is driving the same 17" Studio, but also a 23" Hi-Def Cinema display(1920x1200).

At least in this particular set-up in a 4x AGP slot, the Pro appears to significantly outperform the XT-at least as per Xbench. Take these results for what you will.

Attachments

• Picture 13.png
    Picture 13.png
    31.3 KB · Views: 73
  • Picture 16.png
    Picture 16.png
    62 KB · Views: 79

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I redid the test under as closely duplicated conditions as possible...Pro on the left, and XT on the right

The Pro still fares slightly better, but they're close enough that I'd like to run the test multiple times and do a statistical analysis.

Attachments

• Picture 20.png
    Picture 20.png
    426.1 KB · Views: 78

Surrat

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2014
United States
I'm quite surprised by your results, is that 9600xt running at its proper clock speeds? I never would have thought the 9600pro would beat it like that.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I'm quite surprised by your results, is that 9600xt running at its proper clock speeds? I never would have thought the 9600pro would beat it like that.

As I said, I suspect(but can't prove) that the 4x slot is the limiting factor for both cards, and it seems that the greater VRAM of the Pro is making up for some of the difference. As you can see in my second test(where I did everything I could to make the system state as equivalent as possible), the difference really is close. With the numbers that close on only one test, it's really bad statistics to declare the Pro as better, especially since they do vary from trial to trial.

As far as running the XT at its correct clock speed-both cards were used as "plug and play" with the exception of installing the ATI drivers which are necessary for the Pro to work properly. The drivers were installed for both tests in my most recent post. I haven't played around with any of the available settings in the ATI control panel-all are default.

I also don't know how good of a "stress test" Xbench is of GPU performance-I know that many folks use a graphics-intensive game to truly benchmark cards, but as I'm not a gamer I don't have the standard suite of programs used.

All of the benchmarks I've looked at comparing the two cards directly looks at them in 8x slots-generally G5s for the Mac versions of the card. Again, I suspect that the fact that I'm running both in a 4x G4 with a 133mhz system bus is at least making some difference.

Surrat

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2014
United States
The benchmark I like to use for ppc macs, is GeoFX Openmark.

Its a strictly opengl benchmark, and ignores cpu speed. I tried my x850xt card in my G5 dual 2.7, and G5 dual 2.0 and got exactly the same score.

Openmark simply shows rotating textured spheres and keeps adding more and more until the frame rate drops below 10, giving a result.

These are some of my scores:

9600 mac/pc got 5300ish in my MDD dual 1.25
9700 pro mac adc card got 8128 in MDD dual 1.25

7800gt pcie mac edition got 9100ish in G5 quad
Quadro fx4500 mac edition got 15300ish in G5 quad
x850xt adc card got 16500ish in G5 dual 2.0 or 2.7

https://www.dropbox.com/s/otbk05tlbjau30p/GioFX OpenMark.zip?dl=0

Shared a dropbox link for it if you cant find it online.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
The 9600 Pro decided to(again) quit working in my Quicksilver, so I put the XT back in.

I had saved the OpenMark results from the 9600 Pro, and just ran it on the XT. Both were done from a fresh boot...and they got exactly the same score.

Attachments

• Picture 21.png
    Picture 21.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 74
  • Picture 22.png
    Picture 22.png
    31 KB · Views: 105

Surrat

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2014
United States
That makes me wonder if the pc/mac 9600 is actually clocked as high as the XT mac version is? Interesting results there..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.