Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2011
I personally love the current format factor of my 13 inch MBA. If they just added retina and made no other changes I would buy it. No need for a new format factor imo?

Anyone else with me?

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
I personally love the current format factor of my 13 inch MBA. If they just added retina and made no other changes I would buy it. No need for a new format factor imo?

Anyone else with me?

I love the size of my 11" air too. Interested to see what it looks like though. Wouldn't want anything bigger or heavier.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I guess what I'm curious about is if the MBA's screen is actually considered "poor" compared to industry averages.

I told this story in another thread but when I was at Best Buy the other day, they had both the MBA and MBP right next to each other. At first glance, the MBP had such a better screen. But then when playing with both of them, I noticed that the brightness was turned much lower on the MBA than the MBP. After playing with color settings, I was also able to add a little bit more life to the screen of the MBA as well to the point where it looked a little more comparible to the MBP but still not as good.

I'm torn between devices but the price of the MBA is much more attractive of course. So I'm curious what current users of the MBA think of the screen after using it for quite some time.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I guess what I'm curious about is if the MBA's screen is actually considered "poor" compared to industry averages.

I told this story in another thread but when I was at Best Buy the other day, they had both the MBA and MBP right next to each other. At first glance, the MBP had such a better screen. But then when playing with both of them, I noticed that the brightness was turned much lower on the MBA than the MBP. After playing with color settings, I was also able to add a little bit more life to the screen of the MBA as well to the point where it looked a little more comparible to the MBP but still not as good.

I'm torn between devices but the price of the MBA is much more attractive of course. So I'm curious what current users of the MBA think of the screen after using it for quite some time.
I've been using an 11" MBA daily since June '14. I use an iPad 4 and 21" iMac daily as well. I find the MBA screen to be just fine. I think the claims that it is a blurry piece of junk are nothing more than wild hyperbole. But people are entitled to their opinion.

I always encourage people to see first-hand for themselves... otherwise they might miss out on a terrific notebook.

pasadena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Seattle, WA
All I need to pull the trigger on a new one is retina and a good battery life (mine is kinda bad). That would make me happy.

Now if they want to make it even better than that, I'm in.

Last edited:

pasadena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Seattle, WA

It's not bad, it's not good. It's good enough for my usage, and for the price I paid, suppose. I don't mind it, and I've had much worse. But because I've always been a sucker for high res and screen real estate, if the MBA had been my primary machine, I would have bought the rMBP instead. But I got the MBA for its portability and amazing footprint and quality vs price ratio, not its screen.

I would (will) buy a retina one to replace this one, because I truly love retina screens. But I don't dislike this one. Does that make sense ?

theriddler

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2011
UK
Not so much the resolution – just change the screen technology from TN! It's barely readable in sunlight! My department has a glass sunroof and when I sit under it, I have to crank up the brightness to 100% just to see the screen.

CookedPixel

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2015

Anyone else with me?

No. I bought the Air because I spend long hours working away from an AC outlet. The retina screen is nice, but it would completely destroy the battery life of the Air without other changes to make up for the added consumption of the display.

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2011
One can assume that whichever next iteration of MBA comes out it will have a current Intel processor capable of good battery with a retina screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.