Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
You wouldn't want to delete the Spotlight files without first disabling the Launch Daemons for it. Failure to do so would clog the system log and use up resources as the system looks for the missing binaries.

That would effectively remove the search function with in the Finder?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
It does severely shorten its ability to search for things. EasyFind is a good alternative app for searching for files with.

Does EasyFind include Finder search bar integration? If not, would it be possible to script the Finder's search bar to EasyFind?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Easy Find is simply a substitute for the CMD+F command. I'm an old Apple user, so this is my preferred method of search. My fingers are almost always on the keyboard and not the trackpad and usually not anywhere near the menubar. Yes, I can call spotlight up via a keyboard command, but if I'm going to do that, I might as well just use CMD+F!

Just my take. As you might be able to tell, I am not a Spotlight fan. :D

Reactions: ojfd

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
QuartzGL benefits system wide provided you have a compatible graphics card. Perhaps Intell could post a list of unsupported graphics cards. The sheets rollout is system wide as well.

You just love calling me Alternose, Erik :D On the plus side, this guide is becoming a great source for speeding up Leopard. I am going to change the thread title.

how do u change thread titles?

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
My iMac has a GeForce4 MX, so, going by Intell's information, not even close. :) (Mine's the 1.0GHz 15" model.)

Since this thread is about all matters of speeding up Leopard/PPC, I thought I would contribute something to it (though not exactly news): don't bother watching YouTube videos via the website. Rather, use MacTubes. It can search YouTube by itself, or take URLs from the site. It uses QuickTime to play the videos, which is far better than the dreadful Flash Player 10.1 for PPC. I tested against a random video I found on the front page; in the Flash-based web page, the CPU was pegged at 100% and still struggled on the 144p setting. (Any higher, forget it.) In MacTubes, the same video played perfectly at 360p/480p (it doesn't say which) and the CPU never went above 80%. I tried HD quality, and while it would display, I couldn't get more than 1 frame per second on a 1Ghz G4. Not really surprising, I suppose.

Note that you have to tell MacTubes to use QT, in the Player menu. It seems to use Flash by default. You need QT 7.6.4 or higher, but for some reason, Software Update in Leopard will not find/install anything higher than 7.5.5. The final PPC version, 7.7, can be found here: http://support.apple.com/kb/dl761

as of this reply I am running QuickTime 7.2.1 on Leopard and it works just fine for MacTubes. You also need Perian. NicePlayer and VLC play YouTube Videos just fine too

Altemose

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
as of this reply I am running QuickTime 7.2.1 on Leopard and it works just fine for MacTubes. You also need Perian. NicePlayer and VLC play YouTube Videos just fine too

YouView is another great application for YouTube videos. I find that it offers better search results and official videos (like VEVO music videos) work just fine! I recommend that you update to QuickTime 7.7 though.

would it be OK to turn off BeamSync on a eMac USB 2.0 Model?

It is generally advised against. You would likely experience mouse cursor tearing and other graphical issues. However, someone in this thread posted about disabling it on a CRT without issues so your mileage may vary.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
YouView is another great application for YouTube videos. I find that it offers better search results and official videos (like VEVO music videos) work just fine! I recommend that you update to QuickTime 7.7 though.

It is generally advised against. You would likely experience mouse cursor tearing and other graphical issues. However, someone in this thread posted about disabling it on a CRT without issues so your mileage may vary.

YouView i use on my eMac but i cant use it on my MDD it lags. Also VEVO videos are hit and miss I cannot get "Pocketfull of Sunshine" official video to play on Mac AT ALL YouView, MacTubes, VLC, NicePlayer, QuickTime simply does not work. And other VEVO vidoes are the same way

Altemose

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
YouView i use on my eMac but i cant use it on my MDD it lags. Also VEVO videos are hit and miss I cannot get "Pocketfull of Sunshine" official video to play on Mac AT ALL YouView, MacTubes, VLC, NicePlayer, QuickTime simply does not work. And other VEVO vidoes are the same way

Strange... I am pretty sure I have used YouView for VEVO videos before.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
So have I some work, some don't. It's only Vevo videos i have encountered that with. I have yet to encounter it on any other kind of video.

Maybe they are phasing out letting clients watch it...

I do like YouView a bit more than MacTubes, but both are great tools to have.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
Maybe they are phasing out letting clients watch it...

I do like YouView a bit more than MacTubes, but both are great tools to have.

the Number one thing that makes me like and always come back to YouView is that it has addons that make it launch automatically on Firefox and Safari. It's actually a real PITA that I cannot use it with my PowerMac.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
YouView Extensions

Could you post that addon?
here you go "Altermoose" LOL (Sorry i see other people misspell your name i though it would have a laugh from it)

The second you click a link to a YouTube video with these extensions installed and enabled it will Launch YouView.

Safari Extension: https://mrgeckosmedia.com/YouView.safariextz
TenFourFox extension: https://mrgeckosmedia.com/YouViewFirefox.xpi

there is also a Sarfari Plugin that launches as a installer so i cannot link to it nor do i understand the point of it.

You can install them by clicking the YouView Menu than click "Install Safari Extension" or "Install Firefox plugin" both which open your default browser to the links above.

If WebKit or Safari are the default browsers you will need to do a Copy/paste the file into the address bar of TenFourFox to install the firefox addon

Last edited:

Altemose

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
here you go "Altermoose" LOL (Sorry i see other people misspell your name i though it would have a laugh from it)

The second you click a link to a YouTube video with these extensions installed and enabled it will Launch YouView.

Safari Extension: https://mrgeckosmedia.com/YouView.safariextz
TenFourFox extension: https://mrgeckosmedia.com/YouViewFirefox.xpi

there is also a Sarfari Plugin that launches as a installer so i cannot link to it nor do i understand the point of it.

You can install them by clicking the YouView Menu than click "Install Safari Extension" or "Install Firefox plugin" both which open your default browser to the links above.

If WebKit or Safari are the default browsers you will need to do a Copy/paste the file into the address bar of TenFourFox to install the firefox addon

I will have to check these out. I thought only MacTubes had this feature with MacTubes Enabler.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
I will have to check these out. I thought only MacTubes had this feature with MacTubes Enabler.

I have to use MacTubes and MTE on my MDD (and i find it a HUGE PITA) I also have QTE installed which i use way more often than MTE (as QTE works on all sites not just YouTube).

PS: Is there a way to make the eMac screen brighter on Videos? With brightness and contract all the way up its hard to see dark YouTube Videos on a CRT.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Kill Bonjour!

For a few years now, I've had this line in my Console log…

1/9/16 9:12:28 PM mDNSResponder[17] ERROR: getOptRdata - unknown opt 65002

The date and time always change of course but it repeats several times, the same error.

While looking for something else tonight I decided to take another crack as this problem (I've looked before in the past).

Turns out it's an issue with the Sleep Proxy Service (which is what allows your Mac to wake for Network Access) which is handled by - Bonjour.

So, I started some more poking around and came to this page…
http://tech.karbassi.com/2007/11/06/leopard-turn-off-bonjour-mdnsresponder/

Here the writer gives the terminal command to kill Bonjour.

Disable Bonjour:
Code:
sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist

Enable Bonjour:
Code:
sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist

Turning Bonjour off does not disable file sharing (although it probably removes the Mac from the Device list in a Finder window). Turning it off IMMEDIATELY killed the writing of the error message to Console for me!

And the side benefit is increased performance because mDNSResponder is a service that is no longer running and thus no longer using CPU cycles.

The command will survive restarts so if you want to enable it again you have to enter the command for it.

CAUTION!!!! DO NOT DO THIS ON SNOW LEOPARD!!!!

Snow Leopard has Bonjour integrated into OS X much more deeply than Leopard. Disabling Bonjour will kill your DNS service which means you can't load web pages because the DNS service can't resolve the address. It can also prevent an SL Mac from booting.

I am mentioning this because I am willing to bet someone here has an SL Mac they may want to try this on. DON'T!!!

Hack5190

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2015
(UTC-05:00) Cuba
Just want to mention that if you enter
Code:
sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist
and it returns
Code:
launchctl: Error unloading: com.apple.mDNSResponder
don't be alarmed, it simply means that Bonjour was already disabled ;)

This is a great tip, in fact I've been using it for about 6 months with no negative side effects.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Possibly another optimization here:

Code:
sudo pmset -a disksleep VALUE

Where "VALUE" is the amount of minutes before your hard drive(s) spin down. Setting to zero means no spindown at all. I'm unclear as to whether this is any different than the setting in Energy Saver in System Preferences.

However, that setting there has a default of 10 minutes for spindown. Using this command you can set the number of minutes you want.

For Tiger users, use 'spindown' instead of 'disksleep' and for laptop users you can vary this if you like. The '-a' tag stands for 'All'. You can sub that with '-b' for battery, or '-c' for charger. Thus the command will only alter the setting according to what you set with the 'a, b or c' tag.

Preventing your drives from spinning down means more power consumption of course, but your Mac will be more responsive and will not park heads when idle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.