Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flr

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 30, 2013
Dell just released news monitors with built in webcam, speakers and microphone: UZ2215H, UZ2315H & UZ2715H. Does anybody know if the webcam and audio (USB connection) will work under Mac OS X? Off course Dell doesn't specify this on their product page. But maybe somebody has experience with those or previous Dell monitors with USB soundbar?

1400232767.jpeg

I'm looking for an alternative for the Apple Thunderbolt Display that doesn't cost a fortune with integrated:
* HD IPS panel 21-24"
* USB 3.0 hub
* Speakers
* Microphone
* Speakers

Or are there other alternatives than the new Dell monitors?

flr

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 30, 2013
I guess/hope the audio comes together with the video from the DisplayPort or HDMI cable. Can somebody confirm this? Even the manual doesn't explain this.

mfram

Contributor
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
Interesting product. I just looked at the specs. It appears all the monitors are 1920x1080. That includes the 27" monitor. So if you get the 27", it won't be as high resolution as the Ultrasharp monitors of the same size (2560x1440).

They seem to be marketing the monitors as designed for video conferencing over computer.

flr

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 30, 2013
Yes the 27" is probably a wast of money. I have an Utrasharp 24" 1920x1200 at work and would never recommend a 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 resolution for a screen that's bigger than 24".

breakitandlearn

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2014
Yes, webcam mic and video camera work on the UZ2715H with a MacBook Pro 10.9.4.

----------

And the UZ2715H came with a Display Port cable, so I bought an additional Mini Display Port to Display Port adapter. Video and audio go out from the MacBook Pro to the monitor's display and speaker.

I'm not superpicky about sharp resolution -- it's good enough for me, but some might think the resolution is too low.

Izaro

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2006
France & Senegal
Just for clarity: (set-up early 2013 Mac Mini with Dell UZ2215H monitor on Tue 23 Sept 2014)

My Mac Mini is connected to the Dell UZ2215H using the Mini-displayport to Displayport cable provided with the monitor.

In addition the USB cable proved with the monitor (USB Type 3 plug connection for the monitor end - its end profile ressembles two differently sized squares melded together) also has to be used for the monitor microphone & webcam to be recognized by the Mac.

Once connected, and configured in the Mac preferences pane to use Dell UZ2**** USB for sound output & input, all works perfectly (as far as I can tell...).

Although, I must admit to being perplexed as to why an additional USB connection is required when using Displayport to connect the monitor...

Last edited:

broadbean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
Just for clarity: (set-up early 2013 Mac Mini with Dell UZ2215H monitor on Tue 23 Sept 2014)

My Mac Mini is connected to the Dell UZ2215H using the Mini-displayport to Displayport cable provided with the monitor.

connection is required when using Displayport to connect the monitor...

Hi there,

Did you get the webcam to work?

traceyambrose

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2007
camera no worky worky

Hey guys, I just got my Dell UZ2715H this week. Using a miniDP which connects up sound and screen with no issues but I can't get the camera to work at all (USB plugged in to computer and monitor).

I'm running Yosemite 10.10.2 on a Macbook air.

Ideas please?

traceyambrose

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2007
Can I just say one thing:

17.jpg

(helps if you make sure the cable is pushed ALL the way in at the back of the monitor) :eek:

Jamison1

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2015
As mentioned above, with a Mac, to make the WebCam work (and possibly the mic) two cables are needed.

1) a video cable such as DisplayPort to MiniDisplayPort/Thunderbolt or HDMI to MiniDisplayPort/Thunderbolt AND

2) the USB cable proved with the monitor (USB Type 3 plug connection for the monitor end - its end profile ressembles two differently sized squares melded together) to USB.

waltrat

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2015
Hamburg NY
Dell just released news monitors with built in webcam, speakers and microphone: UZ2215H, UZ2315H & UZ2715H. Does anybody know if the webcam and audio (USB connection) will work under Mac OS X? Off course Dell doesn't specify this on their product page. But maybe somebody has experience with those or previous Dell monitors with USB soundbar?

1400232767.jpeg

I'm looking for an alternative for the Apple Thunderbolt Display that doesn't cost a fortune with integrated:
* HD IPS panel 21-24"
* USB 3.0 hub
* Speakers
* Microphone
* Speakers

Or are there other alternatives than the new Dell monitors?
camera no worky worky

Hey guys, I just got my Dell UZ2715H this week. Using a miniDP which connects up sound and screen with no issues but I can't get the camera to work at all (USB plugged in to computer and monitor).

I'm running Yosemite 10.10.2 on a Macbook air.

Ideas please?

McGarrettHawaiiFive-0

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2016
As mentioned above, with a Mac, to make the WebCam work (and possibly the mic) two cables are needed.

1) a video cable such as DisplayPort to MiniDisplayPort/Thunderbolt or HDMI to MiniDisplayPort/Thunderbolt AND

2) the USB cable proved with the monitor (USB Type 3 plug connection for the monitor end - its end profile ressembles two differently sized squares melded together) to USB.

Did the USB Type 3 plug connection for the monitor end, come with the monitor or do you need to purchase it for the Dell Monitor with web cam UZ2315HF? Do we absolutely know if the Web Cam on the Dell works on a Mac Book Pro Retina running El Capitan 10.11? From what the information I see it only works with Windows. Can someone PLEASE verify this as I have a customer that wants to use the Web Cam on the Dell. Thank you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.