Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CYB3RBYTE

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2014
Midwest
Hello all!

I'm having some issues creating a Yosemite USB drive so I can wipe and reinstall it on my MacBook Air Early 2014. I've downloaded it two times now, and I'm using Diskmaker X, but everytime I try to create the disk it gives me this:

If someone could lend me a hand I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-11 at 12.04.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-11 at 12.04.42 PM.png
    46.3 KB · Views: 195

brentmore

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
ATX
Hello all!

I'm having some issues creating a Yosemite USB drive so I can wipe and reinstall it on my MacBook Air Early 2014. I've downloaded it two times now, and I'm using Diskmaker X, but everytime I try to create the disk it gives me this:

If someone could lend me a hand I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

I recently wrote up some instructions making a Yosemite USB installer using just the terminal:
http://www.brentmorelabs.com/2014/10/yosemite-usb-drive/

Hope it helps!

brentmore

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
ATX
Yeah I tried that method and it always says:

sudo: unable to stat /etc/sudoers: Permission denied
sudo: no valid sudoers sources found, quitting

What am I doing wrong?

Also BTW, cool website!

Thanks - have you already tried the built-in recovery option?

CYB3RBYTE

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2014
Midwest
What is wrong with going into recovery mode and then reinstalling from there? You would have been done by now.

It sounds like sudo is broken, and you need to fix that first. See http://marzin.org/posts/fixing-sudo-osx/.

Well here is the thing: I actually did not have the recovery option for some weird reason... but eventually with the help of a friend and his 2012 Macbook Pro 13", I re-downloaded Yosemite and made the disk with his computer successfully. Now my MBA is back to normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.