Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Raymel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2014
New England
Hello everyone,

I am in need of some help. I have a A1181 that does not turn on. To back track, it was working perfectly fine a few weeks ago until I opened it (which I've done frequently) to remove the second hard drive to replace it with the Mac's original CDROM drive. I used an anti-static bracelet and grounded it to some metal on the computer and I don't think I shorted anything. When I assembled the Mac back together, it did not turn on but, the battery is charging when I plug in the MagSafe. I am tempted to dissemble it again and put it back together. I've tried to reset to the PRAM/SMC and nothing else works. Any other suggestions before its savaged?

Thanks in advance.

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
Have you tried powering it on via the power pads with the top case off?

I did this when I disassembled mine and reapplied thermal paste, changed RAM, and installed new fan and SSD. I wanted to make sure it was up and ready to go while being able to see the new fan work.

If I remember, they're up by the fan and have a tiny power logo by it. Just use something metal to bridge the two and it should boot up. That would make it likely that something is up with the top case.

I'll see if I can find a photo other than the iffy one on iFixit forums.

Good pictures here

Last edited:

Raymel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2014
New England
I absolutely LOVE you Brett!!!! It's working! I took flathead screwdriver bit and rubbed the jumpers and it started!!!! I can't tell you how appreciative I am of your advice. How can I diagnose the keyboard?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I absolutely LOVE you Brett!!!! It's working! I took flathead screwdriver bit and rubbed the jumpers and it started!!!! I can't tell you how appreciative I am of your advice. How can I diagnose the keyboard?

I would get a bright LED flash light and investigate the top case connector. Those plastic parts can crack if these machines were ran hot for long periods of time. Verify that no pins are damaged and try starting it before fully reinstalling the top case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.